Army Issues New Tattoo Rules. | World Defense

Army Issues New Tattoo Rules.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's official: Army issues new tattoo rules

A new U.S. Army policy allows tattoos on soldiers' arms, legs and most of their bodies.(Photo: SSG Xaime Hernandez, U.S. Army)

It's official: Soldiers can now get their arms, legs and most of their bodies covered in tattoos.

The Army published an update to Army Regulation 670-1 on Friday, meaning the new tattoo rules are officially in effect.

Under the new policy, there are no longer limits on the size or number of tattoos soldiers can have on their arms and legs. The change strikes a short-lived policy limiting soldiers to four tattoos below the elbow or knee, none bigger than the wearer's hand.

Vivid tattoos tell veterans' tales of pain, recovery

Face, neck and hand tattoos, however, remain against regulation, with the exception of one ring tattoo per hand. Racist, derogatory and sexist tattoos are also outlawed.

The more restrictive tattoo policy had become a sore subject for soldiers, as the new Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Dailey quickly learned through soldier feedback. Dailey was concerned the tough tattoo rules were negatively impacting morale, and he shared these concerns with Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno.
U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno.

Odierno previewed the latest revisions on April 1.

"Society is changing its view of tattoos, and we have to change along with that," Odierno said. "It makes sense. Soldiers have grown up in an era when tattoos are much more acceptable and we have to change along with that."

Some frequently asked questions concerning the new policy:

Q. What does this mean for soldiers who have neck tattoos?

A. There is no change to the restriction of neck tattoos. They are still prohibited. Soldiers who had a neck tattoo before the March 31, 2014, policy change and properly documented it will continue to be grandfathered. Any neck tattoo obtained after that date is in violation of the Army's policy.

Q. How will the new rules affect enlisted soldiers seeking commission to become an officer or a warrant officer?

A. There is no change to the process for enlisted soldiers to pursue a commissioning program. Commanders use the whole-soldier concept in making appropriate recommendations, and tattoos are one of many attributes taken into consideration.

Q. How does the new policy affect female soldiers who are wearing the skirt with their Army Service Uniform?

A. There is no additional restriction for female soldiers. All soldiers may have tattoos on their legs.

Q. Does this mean tattooed recruits who were turned away since the new policy took effect will soon be able to enlist?

A. Yes.

Q. Does SMA Dailey have any tattoos?

A. No.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I'm glad. I understand they want everyone to look the exact same. But a majority of the time, aren't they wearing pants and long sleeves anyway?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad. I understand they want everyone to look the exact same. But a majority of the time, aren't they wearing pants and long sleeves anyway?

Yeah, I thought that too. In any case, being tattooed does not affect your ability to serve your country now does it? I'm pleased to see that the rules are exactly the same for women as they are for men though.

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Awesome. I can appreciate that the army needs some sort of a one-entity spirit, where individuals think of themselves as a cog of a single machine, but you can still be group-oriented while still maintaining your individuality. Plus, every platoon is totally going to have their own tattoos, just like in special forces.