Asma Jahangir, leading human rights lawyer, passes away in Lahore | World Defense

Asma Jahangir, leading human rights lawyer, passes away in Lahore

The Sandman

Reactions
405 34 0
Country
Pakistan
Renowned senior lawyer and human rights activist Asma Jahangir passed away in Lahore on Sunday, DawnNews reported.

The cause of her death has not been confirmed yet, but multiple reports suggest she passed away from cardiac arrest.

Details regarding her funeral prayers and last rites have not been made public as yet.

Jahangir was born in Lahore in January 1952.

She received a Bachelors' degree from Kinnaird and and an LLB from Punjab University. She was called to the Lahore High Court in 1980 and to the Supreme Court in 1982 and later went on to become the first woman to serve as president of the Supreme Court Bar Association.

She became a democracy activist and was jailed in 1983 for participating in the Movement for the Restoration of Democracy which agitated against military dictator Ziaul Haq's regime.

She was also active in the 2007 Lawyers' Movement, for which she was put under house arrest.

She co-founded the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, and the Women's Action Forum.

She received several awards, including a Hilal-i-Imtiaz in 2010 and a Sitara-i-Imtiaz. She was also awarded a UNESCO/Bilbao Prize for the Promotion of a Culture of Human Rights and an Officier de la Légion d'honneur by France.

She received the 2014 Right Livelihood Award and the 2010 Freedom Award.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1388771/asma-jahangir-leading-human-rights-lawyer-passes-away-in-lahore

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Renowned senior lawyer and human rights activist Asma Jahangir passed away in Lahore on Sunday, DawnNews reported.

The cause of her death has not been confirmed yet, but multiple reports suggest she passed away from cardiac arrest.

Details regarding her funeral prayers and last rites have not been made public as yet.

Jahangir was born in Lahore in January 1952.

She received a Bachelors' degree from Kinnaird and and an LLB from Punjab University. She was called to the Lahore High Court in 1980 and to the Supreme Court in 1982 and later went on to become the first woman to serve as president of the Supreme Court Bar Association.

She became a democracy activist and was jailed in 1983 for participating in the Movement for the Restoration of Democracy which agitated against military dictator Ziaul Haq's regime.

She was also active in the 2007 Lawyers' Movement, for which she was put under house arrest.

She co-founded the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, and the Women's Action Forum.

She received several awards, including a Hilal-i-Imtiaz in 2010 and a Sitara-i-Imtiaz. She was also awarded a UNESCO/Bilbao Prize for the Promotion of a Culture of Human Rights and an Officier de la Légion d'honneur by France.

She received the 2014 Right Livelihood Award and the 2010 Freedom Award.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1388771/asma-jahangir-leading-human-rights-lawyer-passes-away-in-lahore

One of the tallest figures in south Asia, perhaps even the world. She will be missed by the oppressed and downtrodden everywhere.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
I would like to reproduce some of the comments of my Pakistani friends who don't post in such fora.
  1. Even the bravest must, one day, die. May her amazing soul rest in everlasting peace. The oppressed, the voiceless, and the truth that she gave life and a voice to have, indeed, been orphaned today. As painful as the news of her death is, she lives as inspiration and a symbol of utmost courage for many others and will do so for a long, long time to come.
  2. I feel that the nation has lost her compass, her mother today :(
  3. HazaaroN saal nargis apni be noori pe roti hai
    badi mushkil se hota hai chaman mein dilawar paida
  4. It feels personal. It feels like a death in the family.
  5. This is a terrible shock.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
ALLAH marhooma ko gareeq e rehmat kary. I have to meet this end too and I won't like anyone cursing me and judging me ..... the least one can do is beg mercy ....... something he / she wishes for himself or herself. Rest ..... no action would go unanswered and no action would go unaccounted for ........ if one has done good even if it weighs equal to an atom, he / she would be rewarded for it ..... and if one has done some bad that weighs equal to an atom or a tiny particle .... he / she will be judged for it.

I didn't know the late Asma sahiba personally so cannot comment what sort of person she was in her life, if she was human rights activist I can only hope she has helped enough poor, deserving and helpless people in her life .... to pray for her.

My image of her ...... to be honest was totally based on her views, but in all fairness if she ever succeeded getting any hardcore terrorist bailed out ....... that wasn't her personal achievement, it was and are the loopholes in our laws and justice system.

HazaaroN saal nargis apni be noori pe roti hai
badi mushkil se hota hai chaman mein dilawar paida

Sahib yeh dilawar kon hai? *-*

Deedawar is the right word ........ meaning a sightseer .... a person who would praise and enjoy the beauty and sight of the flower.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
ALLAH marhooma ko gareeq e rehmat kary. I have to meet this end too and I won't like anyone cursing me and judging me ..... the least one can do is beg mercy ....... something he / she wishes for himself or herself. Rest ..... no action would go unanswered and no action would go unaccounted for ........ if one has done good even if it weighs equal to an atom, he / she would be rewarded for it ..... and if one has done some bad that weighs equal to an atom or a tiny particle .... he / she will be judged for it.

I didn't know the late Asma sahiba personally so cannot comment what sort of person she was in her life, if she was human rights activist I can only hope she has helped enough poor, deserving and helpless people in her life .... to pray for her.

My image of her ...... to be honest was totally based on her views, but in all fairness if she ever succeeded getting any hardcore terrorist bailed out ....... that wasn't her personal achievement, it was and are the loopholes in our laws and justice system.

Sahib yeh dilawar kon hai? *-*

Deedawar is the right word ........ meaning a sightseer .... a person who would praise and enjoy the beauty and sight of the flower.

I'm sorry - it IS deedawar. Reminder never to type late at night.

The Sandman

Reactions
405 34 0
Country
Pakistan
This is the first time i am saying this that there are "2 extremes" on the social media since yesterday 1 who abused her and celebrated her death AFTER her death and in response her fans/followers which btw are a lot started praising her so much that now it's just getting too much yes some are even demanding a state funeral i guess it's a little too much now:

Her career btw:
  • Trained as a lawyer and worked in Pakistan's Supreme Court from age 30
  • A critic of the military establishment
  • Jailed in 1983 for pro-democracy activities
  • Put under house arrest in 2007 for opposing military leader's removal of Supreme Court chief justice
  • Co-founder of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan and of the first free legal aid centre in Pakistan
  • Co-founder of the Women's Action Forum, set up to oppose law that reduced a woman's testimony in court to half that of a man's
  • The first female leader of Pakistan's Supreme Court bar association
  • Winner of several awards including the Unesco/Bilbao prize for the promotion of a culture of human rights and the French Legion of Honour
  • Served as UN special rapporteur on freedom of religion and on human rights in Iran

source

But see the problem is she a lot of time crossed the line and blamed Intel agencies and military without any proofs and was later proven wrong than the award she took from Hasina who constantly spews venom on Pakistan.

I personally appreciate her a lot for her bravery and the way she stood against that shaitaan bigot zia his dictatorship and his laws that were more anti Islam and even till to this day she stood against the MULLAHS which in itself is a bravery but in the end we can say she was a bit of controversial person.

But we shouldn't forget her achievements she helped Pakistan to improve it's image internationally and helped loads of people here too and those abusing her and celebrating her death should be ashamed of themselves on one hand they're accusing her of being "ANTI ISLAMIC" but at the same time they're abusing her AFTER she passed away i mean how ironic it is.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
But those abusing her and celebrating her death should be ashamed of themselves on one hand they're accusing her of being "ANTI ISLAMIC" but at the same time they're abusing her AFTER she passed away i mean how ironic it is.

She is no more ......... and saying anything bad about her now doesn't make any difference to her ...... but reflects on my personal bias and hate that I had for the person ........ I can despise anyone's action but I should try not to be hateful of the person ..... so much so that when he / she has passed away and I am still burning in my hate. Chapter closed ..... good, bad that's already done, she is harmless now or she is capable of showing any love to anyone now.