Automatic target tracking for concept. | World Defense

Automatic target tracking for concept.

Reactions
112 10 0
Country
Jordan
I have been interested in military tech, and guidance and might have discovered a potential new idea that could be used for SAMs, and ATGMs, etc.
It is automatic target tracking by getting image of target into system and keeping that image in seekers point of view and telling servos to go towards it. It should be harder to fool then IR systems imo.

Basically a larger, more complicated version of this.

Damn, this could be really good for small armament guidance like 40mm grenade ammunition, and mortar guidance.

Last edited:

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
I've worked with facial recognition tech. You can optimize the algorithms as best as you can, but you end up being limited by the general principal that the further the target, the more the hardware needed to crunch numbers. Facial recognition tech works at ranges defined in meters. SAMs work at ranges defined in kilometers. And I'm not even accounting for the image resolution required to even see an object that far away. These are currently unsolved problems in the space. At least as far as I know.

Reactions
112 10 0
Country
Jordan
I've worked with facial recognition tech. You can optimize the algorithms as best as you can, but you end up being limited by the general principal that the further the target, the more the hardware needed to crunch numbers. Facial recognition tech works at ranges defined in meters. SAMs work at ranges defined in kilometers. And I'm not even accounting for the image resolution required to even see an object that far away. These are currently unsolved problems in the space. At least as far as I know.
What about weapons like 40mm smart grenades that don't need to go long distances? Also, how does infrared automatic tracking like on the Javelin/Spike SR work if you know? I'm trying to learn more about this topic if I ever want to go into this subject.

Would something like Spike SR work with a seeker like this? I don't know how guidance can track a moving target and need some explanation if you know how.

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have been interested in military tech, and guidance and might have discovered a potential new idea that could be used for SAMs, and ATGMs, etc.
It is automatic target tracking by getting image of target into system and keeping that image in seekers point of view and telling servos to go towards it. It should be harder to fool then IR systems imo.

Basically a larger, more complicated version of this.

Damn, this could be really good for small armament guidance like 40mm grenade ammunition, and mortar guidance.

color and shape recognition is nothing new even Snapchat using that. I think IR seeker is the most convenient, SAMs and ATGMs travel at very high speed so implementing that beyond visual is of no use unless you are implying on planting the camera inside the missile itself which again would be useless.

Reactions
112 10 0
Country
Jordan
color and shape recognition is nothing new even Snapchat using that. I think IR seeker is the most convenient, SAMs and ATGMs travel at very high speed so implementing that beyond visual is of no use unless you are implying on planting the camera inside the missile itself which again would be useless.
A good amount of older missiles use TV/Contrast seekers like AGM-65 Maverick. Its much cheaper to integrate a high quality TV camera on a missile then it was 30 or 40 years ago. Do you know how fire and forget missiles like Javelin, Spike, etc can tracking its target?

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
It’s really shocking to see the world NOT bringing out ideas of incorporating UAVs/UCAVs into Air Defence Systems. These things have a lot more potential than just recon and A2G missions.

The concept you mentioned about recognition via image, ok, can be materialized against Slow UAVs and Jets but can’t against Super/Hypersonic BMs/CMs/HGVs. We should look more into options of our own satellites for real time imagery and tracking. This way, your above mentioned technique can be applied, provided that the threat has a stable flight pattern which can be predicted ahead of current time in order to set an interception zone to launch SAMs barrage. Even then, success rate is very less.

Reactions
112 10 0
Country
Jordan
It’s really shocking to see the world NOT bringing out ideas of incorporating UAVs/UCAVs into Air Defence Systems. These things have a lot more potential than just recon and A2G missions.

The concept you mentioned about recognition via image, ok, can be materialized against Slow UAVs and Jets but can’t against Super/Hypersonic BMs/CMs/HGVs. We should look more into options of our own satellites for real time imagery and tracking. This way, your above mentioned technique can be applied, provided that the threat has a stable flight pattern which can be predicted ahead of current time in order to set an interception zone to launch SAMs barrage. Even then, success rate is very less.
This idea is geared more towards ATGMs and ground attack missiles, not towards SAMs whatsoever.