Awareness ........... simple ideas for improvement | World Defense

Awareness ........... simple ideas for improvement

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
The purpose of opening this thread is to appeal to my Pakistani brethren to share ideas about how we can utilise our existing infrastructure, facilities and resources to gain the maximum and improve our overall conditions and living standards. I am sure a lot of you must have been discussing and propagating these ideas, so why not dedicate a thread to it? That way we can list our ideas at one place and may be one day someone from who really is in the decision making position would (miraculously) read and benefit from these ideas. Any other non Pakistani member is more than welcome to contribute and help us with doing things differently.

So as I have opened this thread so I shall take the lead and share an idea. We can all then discuss its practicality and implementation.

Any Pakistani, I am sure would have more than once experienced that uncomfortable situation of waiting on roads because of some VIP movement. It may have started little but now its a full grown trend, that apart from key state officials, many people move on roads with those police and security forces entourage, all those sirens and buzz of multiple fast moving cars and police waving like thugs at citizens to move out of the way ......... honestly its a very depressing and helpless situation to be in, especially when you are paying huge amounts of taxes and you see a highly incompetent corrupt thug wasting your hard earned money to make you look like a nobody ........... I understand that ........ but the point to make is all roads get closed, traffic comes to halt hours before any such VIP movement is supposed to happen ......... so much importance put to a trivial matter and so much money wasted on an exercise that can be conducted otherwise, however, what do you think of when you hear an Ambulance stuck in that traffic halt, with nowhere to go and a human like me and you suffering inside, or worst breathing his last because the ambulance couldn't make it in time to the hospital ............. that very thought has been frustrating for me, because I always think it could be me in that ambulance and these insensitive thugs would make me die in there because they want everyone to witness their might and waste of state's resources. Or it could be an ambulance stuck in our huge slow moving traffic .............. the thing remains that we don't value a human life, don't feel sympathetic to other's suffering in our frustration, we don't give way to an ambulance that easy ......... and on top of everything we don't try improving the situation.

My idea is why we don't have separate ambulance tracks connected to various hospitals in a city? A track that is to be used by ambulances only, so that anyone in dire need of medical attention gets it in time. Why no one ever thought about it? Money is the problem? But in countries like Pakistan we Pakistanis know money is not the problem, perhaps its the mentality that is the problem. Anyways okay suppose a separate track cannot be constructed for ambulances how about using this Metro bus track(s) ............ its wide enough and has buses running on it in one direction ........ so how about we share these tracks with the ambulances? No extra money involved and considering how current government is addicted to building these tracks there shouldn't be problem if its used for a noble cause?

@Shaheen @H!thchiker @Hellhound @Tps77 @Ejaz @khafee

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
I have an idea that might sound silly
1) Why not provincial government picks up a city each year and divert all the development budget to it with a focus on best hospital developed a start of the art hospital , university/schools with all the resources and factory or local industry ... Since any how allocated budget among different cities for development eroded by corruption focus on single city each year will provide a better control and checks to curb the corruption while spending..This will increase urbanization and in turn will generate economic activities..5-6 big and developed cities in each province will defiantly change the outlook and standard of life..No body will rush to Karachi, Islamabad, lahore , Peshawar or Quetta alone then...

2) This might connects with above at certain area/population more expansion in existing cities should not be allowed.. New cities should be developed without much spending by government..Lets say no more DHA, Bahria town or other projects in major cities ..

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
1) Why not provincial government picks up a city each year and divert all the development budget to it with a focus on best hospital developed a start of the art hospital , university/schools with all the resources and factory or local industry ... Since any how allocated budget among different cities for development eroded by corruption focus on single city each year will provide a better control and checks to curb the corruption while spending..This will increase urbanization and in turn will generate economic activities..5-6 big and developed cities in each province will defiantly change the outlook and standard of life..No body will rush to Karachi, Islamabad, lahore , Peshawar or Quetta alone then...

The better thing to do and avoid others suffering because of lack of funds, is to strengthen the local bodies. MPAs and MNAs shouldn't be allocated any budget, but the people who live in that area should be given the money to improve their area. Obviously with strict controls in place.

2) This might connects with above at certain area/population more expansion in existing cities should not be allowed.. New cities should be developed without much spending by government..Lets say no more DHA, Bahria town or other projects in major cities ..

Yep agree any city with more than say 600,000 or 700,000 residents shouldn't be divided into different districts with its own management and administration. Instead of expanding the existing cities new cities should be constructed and populated.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
The better thing to do and avoid others suffering because of lack of funds, is to strengthen the local bodies. MPAs and MNAs shouldn't be allocated any budget, but the people who live in that area should be given the money to improve their area. Obviously with strict controls in place.

Agreed but local bodies will not function if they represent the same parties as of MPA and MNA's...Until local bodies are free from political parties there will be no benefit..

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
My cousin is a cattle farmer, he regularly has some bulls castrated. Doesn't cost a lot, but keeps things under control.

Tps77

Reactions
330 12 0
Country
Pakistan
The First Step is to bring back Mushi's time local body system even KPK one is also Good second thing is to cut on these metro buses and start to repair damaged roads first . Stop the funding for MPA'S and MNA'S and give that to local bodies , Keep the defence budget as it is and divert development funds to health and education. Filter out those teachers who are good for nothing conduct proper tests for new one's. Same is for Health Ministry .

Hellhound

Reactions
143 5 0
Country
Pakistan
1) privatise the hospitals, divert the current health care budget to introduce the mandatory health insurance system in pakistan and subsidies it for the people whose income falls under certain barket and have less than 3 children.
2) adopt the O/A levels approach and make the exams so that it is impossible to pass by cramming but easy to do so with logical thinking to promote the development of thinking process in the youth from young age.
3) install traffic cams,link the vehicle registration number with id card and give the contract on build operate transfer bases (with first 5 years of fines going to the company to cover their cost and earn profit on it) that way you will have a great traffic infrastructure and that too free of cost.
4) automate/computerise every thing you can in the government sector(just like mushi did with the custom department) you will save millions in bureaucratic costs will get rid of red tape and corruption.
5)truly link everything with your id card.make even simple tasks like paying the utility bills impossible without it and if some traffic fines or tax dues are pending deactivate the card to force people to pay up.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
My cousin is a cattle farmer, he regularly has some bulls castrated. Doesn't cost a lot, but keeps things under control.

(:-&(:-&(:-&

17_BatAngryLost6.jpg

Sorry for the off topic post but tbqh it hurts.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
(:-&(:-&(:-&

17_BatAngryLost6.jpg

Sorry for the off topic post but tbqh it hurts.

I have seen some of the Pakistani MPA's & MNA's personally, so believe me this is much more humane, then how Kim deals with traitors, via anti-aircraft guns.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Agreed but local bodies will not function if they represent the same parties as of MPA and MNA's...Until local bodies are free from political parties there will be no benefit..

In that case we can try follow a bottom up approach, strong local bodies and their members can bring the change at top level in these political parties. It can be that the member who is closer to the people holds more say in matters and reduce the influence of MPAs and MNAs to law making only............ their real job they are elected for.

You are insulting the bulls .............

1) privatise the hospitals, divert the current health care budget to introduce the mandatory health insurance system in pakistan and subsidies it for the people whose income falls under certain barket and have less than 3 children.

Privatisation is good ......... but the problem remains anything that is private in Pakistan is a mafia. From auto sector to education sector all of them are looting and selling garbage .......... it would only work when we have strong and honest government and independent institutions.

2) adopt the O/A levels approach and make the exams so that it is impossible to pass by cramming but easy to do so with logical thinking to promote the development of thinking process in the youth from young age.

We can sit and think of our own solution. We have to consider the living standards and conditions as well before adopting any foreign concept. I am not saying that we cannot borrow the ideas but those ideas need to be molded into systems and practices that improves our situation. Copy paste without paying much attention to the detail would be disastrous (in my opinion). You know everything that is good and should happen becomes a religious or a political issue in our country...........

3) install traffic cams,link the vehicle registration number with id card and give the contract on build operate transfer bases (with first 5 years of fines going to the company to cover their cost and earn profit on it) that way you will have a great traffic infrastructure and that too free of cost.
4) automate/computerise every thing you can in the government sector(just like mushi did with the custom department) you will save millions in bureaucratic costs will get rid of red tape and corruption.
5)truly link everything with your id card.make even simple tasks like paying the utility bills impossible without it and if some traffic fines or tax dues are pending deactivate the card to force people to pay up.

I fully agree with these ideas.

The First Step is to bring back Mushi's time local body system even KPK one is also Good second thing is to cut on these metro buses and start to repair damaged roads first . Stop the funding for MPA'S and MNA'S and give that to local bodies , Keep the defence budget as it is and divert development funds to health and education. Filter out those teachers who are good for nothing conduct proper tests for new one's. Same is for Health Ministry .

Radar sb. list a detailed plan ....... how we can overcome the opposition and proceed in the direction you are recommending.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
In that case we can try follow a bottom up approach, strong local bodies and their members can bring the change at top level in these political parties. It can be that the member who is closer to the people holds more say in matters and reduce the influence of MPAs and MNAs to law making only............ their real job they are elected for.

You are insulting the bulls .............

Privatisation is good ......... but the problem remains anything that is private in Pakistan is a mafia. From auto sector to education sector all of them are looting and selling garbage .......... it would only work when we have strong and honest government and independent institutions.

We can sit and think of our own solution. We have to consider the living standards and conditions as well before adopting any foreign concept. I am not saying that we cannot borrow the ideas but those ideas need to be molded into systems and practices that improves our situation. Copy paste without paying much attention to the detail would be disastrous (in my opinion). You know everything that is good and should happen becomes a religious or a political issue in our country...........

I fully agree with these ideas.

Radar sb. list a detailed plan ....... how we can overcome the opposition and proceed in the direction you are recommending.
I am of the opinion MPA and MNA should only focused on law making as in other countries there role are...All the development funds should go to local bodies with the local monitoring body and no affiliation with political parties..Though i don't like mushraf but local bodies were much stronger in his era..We do have election and local bodies now but look at there role...all the funds go through same old red tape bureaucratic and MPA's way...
Interestingly i found this article in today's dawn
LOCAL government (LG) bodies were reintroduced in Sindh in 2016 after a gap of nearly six years. Well-designed LG systems help in improving the quality of local services, empowering poor communities and reducing ethnic conflicts. The current Sindh LG system is the first one to be introduced by an elected regime, which may help ensure greater political ownership towards LGs.

The elections were laudably held on party basis and the act provides clear division of labour and line of authority to LGs in rural areas. But devolution to Sindh LG bodies must be increased further to help achieve better both the technocratic (improving local services) and political economy aims (empowering communities and reducing ethnic conflicts) of LGs.

Several gaps undermine the ability of Sindh LG bodies to properly meet the technocratic aim of improving local services’ quality. Many key LG functions have been reassigned to the province in the 2013 system — eg, police, major local development activities and buildings control — compared with the 2002 system. City development authorities have not been placed under elected LGs either.

The description of the functions of mayors/chairpersons and their authority over bureaucrats are vague. The ability of LGs to fill even junior positions has been curtailed by the province. The act authorises the province to take over any functions assigned to LGs and start an inquiry into the affairs of any LG council. These powers must be circumscribed to make them exceptional under defined situations.

Communities are not aware of LGs’ role.​
A provincial finance commission is provided to allocate LG funds among districts. But the presence of opposition and LG officials in it is inadequate and it is still not fully functional. There is still a lot of ambiguity and overlap of financial powers between different tiers of LGs. The Sindh Local Government Act, 2013 doesn’t mandate immediate re-election for LGs within a stipulated period in case of completion of term or early dissolution. Given past delays in holding LG elections, the act must mandate elections within 90 days. The term of LG bodies must also be increased from four to five years. Taluka councils are missing in the new system. It may be difficult for the district council to deal directly with so many rural union councils spread all over. Local councillors lack offices, training and job descriptions.

The Sindh system also misses a chance to meet the political economy aim of reducing rural-urban ethnic gripes. The powers of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) seem extremely limited for Sindh’s biggest LG body. Many key LG functions do not fall under its purview, eg, health, education, environment, overall development, security etc. The main functions included under its domain — eg, control of stray animals and cattle colonies — seem trivial for it.

The powers assigned to KMC seem grossly inadequate compared with not just similar cities nationally (Lahore) and globally but even smaller cities in Sindh. Karachi has been divided into six districts each having a district municipal council (DMC) and union councils (UC). This makes sense given Karachi’s size and ethnic diversity. But the six DMCs are made almost autonomous with little linkage with the KMC. Army cantonment areas in Karachi have their own separate LG structures which create multiple and confusing jurisdictions and further reduce KMC powers.

The list of taxes assigned to the KMC is much shorter than those assigned to other LG bodies despite it being the biggest LG body in Sindh. A properly designed LG system for Karachi could help in tamping down the demands for a separate province there.

Finally, the Sindh LG system also suffers from gaps which undermine its ability to fully meet the political economy of empowering communities. Political parties have often not nominated persons from marginalised groups in the 2016 polls and affluent candidates have often captured even seats reserved for low-income persons. The act does not mandate organisations below UCs which could represent natural communities.

Community-level groups can help mobilise poor communities and apply strong upward accountability pressures on the UC and higher LG structures. Katchi abadis and villages house the majority of the population of major cities but get much lower levels of municipal services. It is important such areas are allocated adequate funds. Low-income communities are not very well aware of the functions and domains of the new LGs, and awareness-raising must be undertaken in these communities.

Thus, the Sindh system needs major changes to better achieve not just the broader political economy goals of restructuring of empowering weaker classes and reducing conflicts but even the less ambitious technocratic goals of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of local public services.

The writer is a senior fellow with UC Berkeley and heads INSPIRING Pakistan, a progressive policy unit.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1374584/sindh-local-bodies
[email protected]

Last edited:

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
I am of the opinion MPA and MNA should only focused on law making as in other countries there role are...All the development funds should go to local bodies with the local monitoring body and no affiliation with political parties..Though i don't like mushraf but local bodies were much stronger in his era..We do have election and local bodies now but look at there role...all the funds go through same old red tape bureaucratic and MPA's way...
Interestingly i found this article in today's dawn
LOCAL government (LG) bodies were reintroduced in Sindh in 2016 after a gap of nearly six years. Well-designed LG systems help in improving the quality of local services, empowering poor communities and reducing ethnic conflicts. The current Sindh LG system is the first one to be introduced by an elected regime, which may help ensure greater political ownership towards LGs.

The elections were laudably held on party basis and the act provides clear division of labour and line of authority to LGs in rural areas. But devolution to Sindh LG bodies must be increased further to help achieve better both the technocratic (improving local services) and political economy aims (empowering communities and reducing ethnic conflicts) of LGs.

Several gaps undermine the ability of Sindh LG bodies to properly meet the technocratic aim of improving local services’ quality. Many key LG functions have been reassigned to the province in the 2013 system — eg, police, major local development activities and buildings control — compared with the 2002 system. City development authorities have not been placed under elected LGs either.

The description of the functions of mayors/chairpersons and their authority over bureaucrats are vague. The ability of LGs to fill even junior positions has been curtailed by the province. The act authorises the province to take over any functions assigned to LGs and start an inquiry into the affairs of any LG council. These powers must be circumscribed to make them exceptional under defined situations.

Communities are not aware of LGs’ role.​
A provincial finance commission is provided to allocate LG funds among districts. But the presence of opposition and LG officials in it is inadequate and it is still not fully functional. There is still a lot of ambiguity and overlap of financial powers between different tiers of LGs. The Sindh Local Government Act, 2013 doesn’t mandate immediate re-election for LGs within a stipulated period in case of completion of term or early dissolution. Given past delays in holding LG elections, the act must mandate elections within 90 days. The term of LG bodies must also be increased from four to five years. Taluka councils are missing in the new system. It may be difficult for the district council to deal directly with so many rural union councils spread all over. Local councillors lack offices, training and job descriptions.

The Sindh system also misses a chance to meet the political economy aim of reducing rural-urban ethnic gripes. The powers of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) seem extremely limited for Sindh’s biggest LG body. Many key LG functions do not fall under its purview, eg, health, education, environment, overall development, security etc. The main functions included under its domain — eg, control of stray animals and cattle colonies — seem trivial for it.

The powers assigned to KMC seem grossly inadequate compared with not just similar cities nationally (Lahore) and globally but even smaller cities in Sindh. Karachi has been divided into six districts each having a district municipal council (DMC) and union councils (UC). This makes sense given Karachi’s size and ethnic diversity. But the six DMCs are made almost autonomous with little linkage with the KMC. Army cantonment areas in Karachi have their own separate LG structures which create multiple and confusing jurisdictions and further reduce KMC powers.

The list of taxes assigned to the KMC is much shorter than those assigned to other LG bodies despite it being the biggest LG body in Sindh. A properly designed LG system for Karachi could help in tamping down the demands for a separate province there.

Finally, the Sindh LG system also suffers from gaps which undermine its ability to fully meet the political economy of empowering communities. Political parties have often not nominated persons from marginalised groups in the 2016 polls and affluent candidates have often captured even seats reserved for low-income persons. The act does not mandate organisations below UCs which could represent natural communities.

Community-level groups can help mobilise poor communities and apply strong upward accountability pressures on the UC and higher LG structures. Katchi abadis and villages house the majority of the population of major cities but get much lower levels of municipal services. It is important such areas are allocated adequate funds. Low-income communities are not very well aware of the functions and domains of the new LGs, and awareness-raising must be undertaken in these communities.

Thus, the Sindh system needs major changes to better achieve not just the broader political economy goals of restructuring of empowering weaker classes and reducing conflicts but even the less ambitious technocratic goals of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of local public services.

The writer is a senior fellow with UC Berkeley and heads INSPIRING Pakistan, a progressive policy unit.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1374584/sindh-local-bodies
[email protected]

The politics of vote banks is a big hurdle in achieving positive results. The politicians know their worth and would never wish a true and fair electoral system, where voters are aware of their rights and consequences of their choices. The vote banks need to remain under educated and struggling for their basic needs. Its a business investment for a politician to contest an election. A lot needs to be done and the first step is expose the true intentions of these incompetent politicians.

Hellhound

Reactions
143 5 0
Country
Pakistan
thats the plan here let the mafia fight among themself or with other mafias (health vs insurance ). and when every hospital(1st class to 3rd class) is in the reach of a common man it will force the 3rd class hospitals to raise their standards to get customers.
you have seen how mobile phone service providers were forced into competition to reduce the rates and improve their services when the sims prices stoop so low that it was in reach of a common man.
totally agrees with you. i too am not in support of exact copy paste hence i used the word adopt the main focus should be to force the kid to think from young age and promote the research culture because that is only thing that can propel a nation into 1st world

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
thats the plan here let the mafia fight among themself or with other mafias (health vs insurance ). and when every hospital(1st class to 3rd class) is in the reach of a common man it will force the 3rd class hospitals to raise their standards to get customers.
you have seen how mobile phone service providers were forced into competition to reduce the rates and improve their services when the sims prices stoop so low that it was in reach of a common man.

And how do you prevent cartels and monopolies? You know we are already suffering at the hands of diesel mafia, education mafia, auto mafia, dairy mafia, lawyer mafia, young doctors mafia and etc etc.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
And how do you prevent cartels and monopolies? You know we are already suffering at the hands of diesel mafia, education mafia, auto mafia, dairy mafia, lawyer mafia, young doctors mafia and etc etc.

Independent Law & Order institutions.

Note: When I say "Independent," it means as much as possible, since 100% independence is non-existent on this planet.