Battleships? | World Defense

Battleships?

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I am just curious do battleships still play a role in the navy today? I know these ships when they were active wer some of the largest weapon platforms outside of the carriers, but do they still play a role in modern naval warfare or is the computers going to rule the day?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Hardly any these days.

jilax

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I am just curious do battleships still play a role in the navy today? I know these ships when they were active wer some of the largest weapon platforms outside of the carriers, but do they still play a role in modern naval warfare or is the computers going to rule the day?

No, Battleships are a relic of the past. Computers aren't even the main reason that Battleships are finished for the foreseeable future. Battleships, like Aircraft Carriers (that is another discussion), are giant floating targets with modern anti-ship weaponry. Missiles like the Russian SS-N-26, hit with so much kinetic force (plus the warhead), that the Battleships can't absorb hits as they originally were intended to do. Rail Guns being developed (a prototype is actually deployed by US Navy) also makes large, slow moving ship relics of past.

The reason Battleships (and Carriers), may someday return to relevance, is if Sci-Fi becomes reality. If some form of energy shielding is possible, and developed than large ships that come with large power plants will become useful again.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
Roughly can you see these battleships anymore. Not rentable to create one anymore, not even to put an old one in circulation. Like jilax pointed out well, it's a relic of the past and it will probably stay like that for the rest of humankind.

GeeCee

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
They do have relevance, but they are too cost prohibitave now. The DDG-1000 ships that were proposed when Gates was SOD were estimated to cost $3 billion each. Not even going to happen in today's cost-conscious times. I think they were supposed to make 30 of them, but only 3 got the go ahead.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
With missiles and modern weaponry there is no need for battleships in this day and age, sadly. I think the US Navy still had one in service up until the 80's or 90's? Could be wrong though.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
No battleship is still in service on this planet. A few of them are still around, but they are either museums or they are covered in algae at this moment. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not recall any country had built a single battleship after WWII. Battleships were expensive to build, yet it was shown to be an ineffective weapon in naval warfare even in WWII. There were very few ship to ship battle took place where battleship played a role. Majority of the combat were done by aircraft launched from aircraft carriers. Thus since WWII, capital ships had shifted from battleships to carriers.

Back in the old days, in theory the ship with the thickest armor and the biggest guns will win the battle. Nowadays much smaller ships like destroyer, frigate, and even corvette can carry deadly anti-ship missiles. Basically any smaller ship carrying missiles can pose a deadly threat to the much more expensive battleships. So why spend so much money to build something can be easily sink?