Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
BBC to revise ban on depiction of Prophet Mohammad

6efb9c44-2824-4c38-b281-4c71616724e7_16x9_600x338.jpg

Albeit briefly, the BBC showed images of the magazine’s controversial cover portraying the prophet during their coverage of the Charlie Hebdo attack. (Courtesy: Question Time)​

The BBC is set to revise its editorial guidelines that ban the depiction of the Prophet Mohammad, the Independent reported.

BBC journalist David Dimbleby revealed in this week’s edition of “Question Time” that it was the organization’s policy not to show any images or depictions of the prophet.

However, the Independent reports that the guideline has been removed, possibly revoking a formal ban.

“This guidance is old, out of date and does not reflect the BBC’s long-standing position that program makers have freedom to exercise their editorial judgment with the Editorial Policy team available to provide advice around sensitive issues on a case by case basis,” a BBC spokesman said.

“The guidance is currently being revised.”

This change in policy comes after Islamist gunmen stormed satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo, known for its controversial covers depicting the prophet and other religious figures, killing 12 people, including four of its editors and cartoonists.

Albeit briefly, the BBC showed images of the magazine’s controversial cover portraying the prophet during their coverage of the Charlie Hebdo attack.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/med...ise-ban-on-depiction-pf-Prophet-Mohamed-.html

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Pride.
"We shall not give in to the demands of jihadists."

It's stupid moves like this one that attract violence and when anything happens you start blaming some certain religions for it? Isn't it better to avoid it?

Everyone's rights need to be respected. If the rights of one person infringe on the rights of another then that right becomes void. So if Muslims don't like their prophet being depicted in any way, why should the BBC, right after the Charlie Hebdo attack decide that now is the right time to revise bans on depiction of Prophet Mohammad?

I liken this action to caressing the rear end of a bee. Would you ask why you got stung?

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
How come it is ok to remove such guidelines when people died doing exactly this? Why is it ok to mock someones religion and stigmatize them even more?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
How stupid? I bet there are jihadists watching the BBC's every move right now, just waiting for them to put a foot wrong. Why invite trouble like this? I am all for free speech but let's exercise a little caution right now.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
No, I think this move is brilliant. So these people come in and say I will now cause mass panic and make you pay for offending my religion and commit murder. So, all of a sudden, the whole world is now supposed to bend over and kiss ass? No, the world is saying murder will not be rewarded. End of story. We are done living in fear. We will not censor what we say to put a temporary bandaid on the world because everyone thinks they deserve to get butthurt over everything all the time. The BBC is saying we bend, but we do not break. We do not cower. And we are not afraid.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think they should have been careful with how they did the depiction of the prophet, as some people have taken offence and will use violence to get revenge when things like this happen. So need to respect other's religion, and not disrespect it and violence will be avoided and deaths prevented. The islam people are against this, and would cause senseless violence if this carries on and people don't respect their culture.