Boeing mulls F-15EX offer to India | World Defense

Boeing mulls F-15EX offer to India

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Boeing is contemplating pitching the F-15EX to New Delhi for one of the country’s long-running fighter procurements - a contest in which its F/A-18E/F is already competing.

F-15 EX.jpg

The airframer confirms that it has requested US government clearance to offer the twin-engined type for an Indian air force requirement for 110 fighters.

“While awaiting further definition on the Indian air force’s requirements, we have requested a license for the F-15 so that we’re ready to share the full spectrum of potential solutions across our fighter portfolio when appropriate,” says the company.

“We continue to offer the F/A-18 Super Hornet to both the Indian navy and Indian air force, and our F-15 is experiencing a resurgence in interest in the US and around the world.”

Boeing was responding to a query from FlightGlobal after a 9 February meeting with Kelli Seybolt, deputy under secretary of the Air Force for international affairs, who disclosed that Boeing had sought an export licence for India for the F-15EX.

The licence will allow Boeing to discuss the F-15EX with Indian officials in compliance with the USA’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

Boeing’s move would see it offer the latest EX variant of the long-running F-15 to New Delhi. Enhancements over previous iterations include a active electronically scanned array radar and improved payload.

The potential entry of the F-15 into the contest is the latest twist in yet another convoluted Indian procurement exercise. After the collapse of its Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) fighter acquisition in 2015, New Delhi rebooted the requirement, initially as an acquisition of a single-engined type, which was later broadened to include twin-engined aircraft.

Likely contenders for the new, poorly-defined requirement already represent a virtual who’s who of combat aircraft. They include the single-engined Lockheed Martin F-16V - dubbed the F-21 for the Indian contest - and Saab Gripen E/F, alongside the twin-engined Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon, and Super Hornet. Russia is also likely to offer the RAC MiG-35 and Sukhoi Su-35.

In addition, there is a separate 57-aircraft requirement for the Indian navy, which Boeing is also addressing with the F/A-18E/F.

For the air force offer, competitors have made much of their willingness to offer New Delhi generous industrial participation, in line with prime minister Narendra Modi’s “Make in India” programme.

At the Aero India show in Bangalore in February 2019, Boeing proposed that should the Super Hornet win the air force deal, a “factory of the future” would be established for local production.

“The programme is expected to work with several Indian suppliers to grow a thriving defence aerospace base, which could accelerate other programmes,” said the company. “The facility will create a world-class, highly-trained aerospace workforce.”

Boeing has not indicated whether a similar industrial set-up could be offered for the F-15EX.

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
possibility to win the F-18IN contract for the Navy. Boeing has made a number of huge sales to India, I.E. the AH-64EI, CH-47FI, P-8I and more. but at the same time I don't see the Indians buying any F-15s, since they currently operate the Su-30MKIs

Zhengzhou

Reactions
338 5 0
Country
China
more or less, the F-15EX deal is be considered a political deal so India gets more arms deals done with NATO/USA then Russia/Ukraine. the other problem is if India goes after the F-15EX, the Su-30MKIs will most likely be used more as multi-role (interception & airstrike) roles while the F-15EX will be used as an Interceptor only.
Boeing has contributed a lot into helping the IAF, however Lockheed Martin did offer a better pitch IMHO, since they promised to help jointly modernize HAL's facilities and participate in the Tejas development.

Yıldırım

Reactions
823 2 0
Country
Turkey
more or less, the F-15EX deal is be considered a political deal so India gets more arms deals done with NATO/USA then Russia/Ukraine. the other problem is if India goes after the F-15EX, the Su-30MKIs will most likely be used more as multi-role (interception & airstrike) roles while the F-15EX will be used as an Interceptor only.
Boeing has contributed a lot into helping the IAF, however Lockheed Martin did offer a better pitch IMHO, since they promised to help jointly modernize HAL's facilities and participate in the Tejas development.
from reports, Boeing and Lockheed are teaming up with more private companies in India, however HAL went to Lockheed due to them losing local support which is now killing them in exports, who were promised to help provide logistical support to countries operating other Su-30s, including Malaysia and Vietnam.

Boeing has offered them far more weapons (obviously) however I don't see the Indians flipping the switch to go for the F-15 now since they operate both the Su-30MKI & Rafale.

starlord

BANNED
Reactions
55 3 0
Country
Pakistan
For IAF it will be a logistical Nightmare to operate 3 high maintenance Fighters like Su-30 , Rafale and Possible F-15EX .

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Su-30 is very inferior to the F-15EX and should be sold to other countries like Eritaeria and maybe Ethiopia or even to Algeria.

Zhengzhou

Reactions
338 5 0
Country
China
Su-30 is very inferior to the F-15EX and should be sold to other countries like Eritaeria and maybe Ethiopia or even to Algeria.
Su-30 is not an inferior jet at all, it's quite advanced, not as advanced as say the Su-35 but still quite the advanced
the Su-30SM is the most advanced model in service. while the Su-30MKA is considered to be the most advanced export model

the problem isn't the jet but the training of the IAF, you can give India F-15EX and Rafale, and somehow/way they will end up having a major crash because of logistical nightmares and or it gets shot down

This whole "with us having Rafale, we can now tackle PAF" was rather a political statement to install an applause for the Indian defence community, because them having a MiG-21 shot down by PAF and shooting down their own Mi-17, was quite an embarrassment.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
The Indians won't operate 3 different high class fighter jets to counter China and Pakistan.

The Indians already plan to operate a total of 360 Su-30MKIs in the future, which will have both air to air and air to ground capabilities, however China operates Su-30MKKs and now how to counter India's Su-30 fleet and has reportedly jammed a few near the Indo-Sino border region given them less significance.

Rafale was order for a few reasons. The Rafale was pitched to MMRCA and New Naval Fighter project for the Indians, in which would help cut down on logistics in the end, also due to the fact India has operated a good fleet for Mirage-2000s. also Rafales serve as an interceptor for the IAF which is something they truly need and also serves as a gap filler until Tejas arrives.

Boeing is just being an aggressive pusher since they are loosing sales worldwide after the Boeing Max problems and need the money.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Su-30 is not an inferior jet at all, it's quite advanced, not as advanced as say the Su-35 but still quite the advanced
the Su-30SM is the most advanced model in service. while the Su-30MKA is considered to be the most advanced export model

the problem isn't the jet but the training of the IAF, you can give India F-15EX and Rafale, and somehow/way they will end up having a major crash because of logistical nightmares and or it gets shot down

This whole "with us having Rafale, we can now tackle PAF" was rather a political statement to install an applause for the Indian defence community, because them having a MiG-21 shot down by PAF and shooting down their own Mi-17, was quite an embarrassment.

It is indeed not an inferior jet, I said inferior to the F-15EX and I stand by my point. I hardly believe the US is going to sell India the F-15EX when in fact the US airforce has not introduced the jet into its airforces yet. Its just that Boeing trying to press the US administration to allow for foreign sales possibly for other arms to other countries. Also, India will have difficulties absorbing this into its airforce. Su-30, Rafale and F-15.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
It is indeed not an inferior jet, I said inferior to the F-15EX and I stand by my point. I hardly believe the US is going to sell India the F-15EX when in fact the US airforce has not introduced the jet into its airforces yet. Its just that Boeing trying to press the US administration to allow for foreign sales possibly for other arms to other countries. Also, India will have difficulties absorbing this into its airforce. Su-30, Rafale and F-15.
while I do highly agree with, at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they do try to push for a buy, just because the IAF is worried about having high numbers rather then quality. doesn't help the Indians supposedly phased out their MiG-27 and MiG-21 fleets without replacement, which is already causing them problems to stay on par against their neighbors.