Boko Haram Attacks Prison in Niger, 4 Killed | World Defense

Boko Haram Attacks Prison in Niger, 4 Killed

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA

Military: Boko Haram Attacks Prison in Niger, 4 Killed

Suspected Boko Haram militants launched an attack on the prison in the southern Niger town of Diffa late on Saturday, military sources said, in an apparent bid to free fellow members of the Nigerian Islamist group held there.

Three of the assailants and one soldier were killed before the attack was repelled, the sources said. Boko Haram also attacked the prison in February.

"When the attack was repelled, the assailants fled, probably back into the town," one military source said. "We are searching for them."

A second military source said the attackers may have been residents of Diffa, as no one had seen them enter the town.

Boko Haram is seeking to carve out an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria. Despite losing territory to an offensive by regional militaries this year, Boko Haram has carried out a wave of deadly attacks in Nigeria, Chad and Niger in recent weeks.

The group has sworn allegiance to Islamic State, which has declared an Islamic caliphate in the large parts of Iraq and Syria that it controls.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
From what I had read in the news last year, Boko Haram is a dreaded rebel group that espouses violence to end violence. And I now see that they have professed an allegiance to ISIS? How about Al Qaeda, what is their stand? It seems to me that rebel groups are turning into Jihadists to cleanse their image of being terrorists. But the media should be vigilant on this matter and should always expose the true colors of those rebels.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
And I now see that they have professed an allegiance to ISIS?
Boko Haram wanted to carve out for themselves an Islamic State in Northern Nigeria. Having sworn allegiance to ISIS, I suppose Baghdadi would have been the recognized leader of this new "Islamic State." But things won't go their way because several West African countries decided to help the Nigerian government fight the terrorists. And all these murders they commit, that's retaliation . . .