Boko Haram killed dozens seizing Nigerian town and army base

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Boko Haram killed dozens of civilians and at least 11 soldiers when the militants took control of a Nigerian town and army base on the shores of Lake Chad at the weekend, a military source and witnesses said on Monday.

The Islamists attacked the northeastern town of Baga and the barracks on its outskirts on Saturday, potentially providing a launchpad for more attacks in Nigeria and neighboring countries.

Lying at the end of a semi-desert road, Baga is the headquarters of a multinational force comprising troops from Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon, all of touch which Lake Chad, though only Nigerian troops are usually stationed in the town.

Troops fled the area after Boko Haram took over the base.

The group's five year insurgency to establish an Islamic state has killed many thousands in Africa's top economy and most populous nation. More than 10,000 died in the violence last year, the Council on Foreign Relations says.

Witnesses who escaped to the bush ran past the bodies of soldiers and civilians along the way.

"I was hiding on a tree top since that Saturday night until this morning at 3 a.m.," Abubakar Usman, a Baga resident, told Reuters by telephone.

"Women in a nearby house brought us water and food ... We snuck out and on our way, we saw lots of dead soldiers and 10 bodies of women."

A military source said at least 11 soldiers had been killed along with a large number of civilians around the town, which was still in the militants' hands on Monday. He said they set fire to houses and shot at residents as they tried to flee.

The military did not immediately respond to a request for official comment.

The growing brutality of Boko Haram, which began as a relatively peaceful clerical movement opposed to Western education, threatens Nigeria's neighbors. At least 15 people were killed in an attack by suspected Boko Haram on a bus in northern Cameroon, officials said on Saturday.

"They are still there and many people (civilians) mostly women, children and aged one are still trapped in the town," a man who works between the city of Maiduguri and Baga said.

Another witness, who gave his name only as Yusuf, said he tripped and fell as he tried to flee the town. When he got up, he saw about 20 bodies scattered along the ground where he was.

As well as killing, the militants have also kidnapped hundreds of mostly young people in the past year.

Boko Haram killed dozens seizing Nigerian town and army base| Top News| Reuters

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Apparently they want to keep government forces as far away from the spot where oil was discovered. Nigerians need to go back to the old system of alternate presidency between Muslims and Christians. If Muslims have their man at the helm at the appointed time(s) they'll try to peacefully co-exist with their enemies. Maybe then, we'll see an end to these senseless killings.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Boko Haram has become more and more indiscriminate in their violence. This is a group that has plans to implement an "African caliphate" and has previously voiced support for Daesh. These groups seem to be feeding of each other's brutality.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I hope the asteroid debris will fall on Nigeria and hit Boko Haram's headquarters. Such an incident will spare us all the trouble of having to deal with their evil. Imagine, they're responsible for 10,000 deaths! They're wasting lives. I would have been more understanding had those deaths been caused by some natural disaster but that wasn't the case. Mark my words: one of these days, they'll crumble just the way Bin Laden did.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
I hope the asteroid debris will fall on Nigeria and hit Boko Haram's headquarters.

One can only dream!! I do wish that someone puts an end to this brutal and horrifying group. With all the indiscriminate atrocities they have caused, I wonder why there isn't more international participation to end them.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
One can only dream!! I do wish that someone puts an end to this brutal and horrifying group. With all the indiscriminate atrocities they have caused, I wonder why there isn't more international participation to end them.
It will end. The problem is someone else will take up the cudgels on behalf of Boko Haram after it dissolves but the massacre doesn't have to be in Nigeria. It could be elsewhere. Violence begets violence after all - a vicious cycle. Still we hope. It will end but it will resurrect elsewhere again.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Boko Haram killed dozens of civilians and at least 11 soldiers when the militants took control of a Nigerian town and army base on the shores of Lake Chad at the weekend, a military source and witnesses said on Monday.

The Islamists attacked the northeastern town of Baga and the barracks on its outskirts on Saturday, potentially providing a launchpad for more attacks in Nigeria and neighboring countries.

Lying at the end of a semi-desert road, Baga is the headquarters of a multinational force comprising troops from Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon, all of touch which Lake Chad, though only Nigerian troops are usually stationed in the town.

Troops fled the area after Boko Haram took over the base.

The group's five year insurgency to establish an Islamic state has killed many thousands in Africa's top economy and most populous nation. More than 10,000 died in the violence last year, the Council on Foreign Relations says.

Witnesses who escaped to the bush ran past the bodies of soldiers and civilians along the way.

"I was hiding on a tree top since that Saturday night until this morning at 3 a.m.," Abubakar Usman, a Baga resident, told Reuters by telephone.

"Women in a nearby house brought us water and food ... We snuck out and on our way, we saw lots of dead soldiers and 10 bodies of women."

A military source said at least 11 soldiers had been killed along with a large number of civilians around the town, which was still in the militants' hands on Monday. He said they set fire to houses and shot at residents as they tried to flee.

The military did not immediately respond to a request for official comment.

The growing brutality of Boko Haram, which began as a relatively peaceful clerical movement opposed to Western education, threatens Nigeria's neighbors. At least 15 people were killed in an attack by suspected Boko Haram on a bus in northern Cameroon, officials said on Saturday.

"They are still there and many people (civilians) mostly women, children and aged one are still trapped in the town," a man who works between the city of Maiduguri and Baga said.

Another witness, who gave his name only as Yusuf, said he tripped and fell as he tried to flee the town. When he got up, he saw about 20 bodies scattered along the ground where he was.

As well as killing, the militants have also kidnapped hundreds of mostly young people in the past year.

Boko Haram killed dozens seizing Nigerian town and army base| Top News| Reuters
They had to mention islamists. Colonialism has killed way more people in Africa then any Islamic group. I'm not saying they don't have issues between christians and Muslims, but the media has a way of twisting the story around.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
This is still so crazy. I hope people don't forget about this ongoing struggle, despite what recently happened in Paris. The sooner the Nigerian government can get a grip of this situation, the better.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Boko Haram brutality

B7Yu0e_CIAA9a6R.jpg

Anonymous

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Colombia
Since Boko Haram oath loyalty to ISIS (and ISIS an invention of the CIA and MOSSAD), and the fact that they are approaching to Oilfields, that just remembers me when Obama sent 3000 military troops to fight against ebola disease in west Africa, It just that obvious that US is trying to get in Africa, to steal resources, why they should need to deploy troops for a disease? if they purpose where to help with supplies as they state, why they do need soldiers? it is not hard to realize that the US government may be after this too, also because they are Muslims, that also helps to corrupt even more the image of that religion.

It's sad that Africa never gets better, only catastrophes happen in those lands, I hope someday all implied western countries could give a hand to this continent instead of trying to steal the few they have.