Bomber Aircraft

Corzhens

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
This reminds me of the stories I've heard during the 2nd world war when the Japanese invaded the Philippines. When the US military were poised to rescue our country, bombings in Manila began. People evacuated to the nearby provinces for the safety of their families. Japanese pilots were so popular with their suicide attacks.

I think bombings executed by planes is an effective method of scaring people to submit to the invaders. So why not try bombing to scare ISIS out of their wits?

Susimi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's already happening but trying to fight an insurgency is like trying to push down an air pocket. You push it down in one place, and another pops up in another place.

Anyway, the Tu-95 Bear is one of my favourite modern day bombers. It's props spin at supersonic speeds and it's so ugly it's beautiful.

ke gordon

Reaction score
Country
USA
Bomber Aircraft

Advantages of bombing
  • Deadly psychological warfare. Infrequent raids frightened civilians, as they had no idea when the bombers were coming, the damage they would inflict, and who would be killed.
  • Allowed for targets out of the reach of artillery or ground forces to be strafed or destroyed.
  • Huge amounts of damage could be inflicted upon targets.
  • Bombers could be modified to assume a wide variety of roles.
Disadvantages of bombing
  • Frequent bombing sometimes ceased to have a terrifying psychological effect on the victims.
  • Civilian casualties are impossible to avoid.
  • Bombers are vulnerable to attack, and the rise of the interceptor in the 1960's proved that one does not need to see his enemy to engage it.
  • Bombers are extremely expensive to build, expensive to maintain, and very vulnerable to interceptors and missiles.
Bombing is awful as innocent civillans are often "collateral damage" at the same time, it is probably necessary when bombers are trying to reach a target that is otherwise out of reach. Is often one of the things that the military will default too when targeting neighborhoods or areas that might be unsafe for gournd troops. It seems to be something that sends a message however.

Susimi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mass carpet bombing of civilian areas is nothing more than a psychological attack. Little is gained strategically, only just a blow to the peoples moral. I hope we are long past that stage now though and I hope that lessons have been learned from the attacks during WW2 like the blitz and the fire bombings of Dresden & Tokyo.