BOOM! Watch what happens when you fire a rocket launcher at bulletproof glass | World Defense

BOOM! Watch what happens when you fire a rocket launcher at bulletproof glass

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Video

AUTOPLAY Star

INCREDIBLE footage shows the effect a rocket propelled grenade has on bulletproof glass.

By Michael Havis / Published 25th September 2015

Cameras capture the fascinating sight as an anti-tank rocket launcher is fired at 16 inches of hardened panes.

And they reveal the devastation caused as the 45 sheets shatter and the crash-test dummy behind is blown to pieces.

560518a7d9201_asplosion1.jpg
SG

BLASTED: The glass, left, shatters in the explosion, right
“This is a clear proof of why tanks don't have big windows”

More armoured panes are then set apart but once more the high-speed explosive tears a hole in the glass – even setting it on fire.

The video was shot by Crash Zone, a Russian YouTube channel that hoped to find out if a tank driver could be protected by armoured windows.

292309.jpg
SG

ROBUST: The glass is seen intact in this image
292313.jpg
SG

DESTROYED: A hole is torn through the glass by the blast
"Now we'll find out if it is possible to use transparent armour on a tank," says one of the group, "I mean real big windows."

After the first test he says "45 layers is not enough" and "this is a clear proof of why tanks don't have big windows."

292322.jpg
SG

CARNAGE: This still shows the impact when the glass is separated
And the second attempt reinforces their findings - tanks should not be made of glass.

The video comes after new Mythbusters footage showed a gun firing at 73,000 frames per second.
YouTube's Crash Zone fire rocket launcher at bulletproof glass | Latest News | Breaking UK News & World News Headlines | Daily Star

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Although I'm a civilian and will hopefully never have to encounter anything like this, I do live in a hurricane zone, and am always interested to read and see things of this nature, since powerful storms can do a lot of damage. Additionally, I try to keep up somewhat with law enforcement and military subjects, and it is important for experts to know the limitations of materials they use or could potentially consider using. No doubt having windows would improve visibility for those inside of tanks, but obviously it's not a good idea. I've watched a few of the videos on the YouTube channel, and they're pretty exciting.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Might as well have been cardboard, for all the protection it offers against RPG's.

Was someone seriously suggesting the idea of making a tank out of armoured glass? I admire the thinking, but seriously!? Hopefully this test has shot down the idea completely.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
The importance of windows depends. Sure, ultimately, it would help, but I don't find it as vital. Meanwhile I know cameras are costly and are far from being solid, they may be used to capture the images and transmit them into the tank cockpit. It features a little lag that doesn't help, but can brings you bare visibility. One another way is to rather feature more robust laser or sound based radars to map around, especially the technology you see on the self-driving cars or in the airplanes radars. For example, when you use "sound based" radar inside the Air Traffic Control system, you still see "objects" in the space, even if it doesn't bring real visibility.