Boston Bombing Trial: Defense Presses for Delay | World Defense

Boston Bombing Trial: Defense Presses for Delay

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Boston Bombing Trial: Defense Presses for Delay

Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are continuing to press their bid for a trial delay, suggesting that prosecutors have not turned over material that could help them show their client was under the sway of his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnav.

"The brothers' alleged 'radicalization' is a more complex story over a longer period of time that can only be understood by painstaking analysis of activity across multiple electronic devices that the government has seized," the defense wrote in a Monday filing.

Previously, Tsarnaev's team slammed the government for dumping a mountain of files on them less than a month before trial, withholding some exhibits and belatedly adding a new DNA expert. Prosecutors have argued Tsarnaev's lawyers are exaggerating the situation and insist they have turned over everything required.

The trial is slated to start in January, but the defense are asking for a nine-month delay. Tsarnaev, 21, faces 30 federal counts in the April 2013 attack on the marathon, which left three people dead and more than 260 injured. He could get the death penalty if convicted.

Boston Bombing Trial: Defense Presses for Delay - NBC News

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I just hope this doesn't lead to copy-cat terrorists looking for fame. This will be hogging the headlines for a couple of months.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
Okay, I can understand that in the defense of a fair trial they should have all the evidence. However, even if they can prove that his older brother held some sway over him, which is not out of the question, they are still going to throw the book at him. He still walked into a crowd of innocent bystanders and set down one of two book bag bombs and led the Boston police on a massive manhunt. He did it.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Regardless of whether he was under the sway of his older brother he still committed the acts. I was living in the area at the time and the whole North Shore was on lock down at the time and caused so much fear when they were on the run.

The attack was planned and the delay won't make much difference to the evidence they have against him. They have to try to buy time, but there is CCTV evidence of his actions and his resisting arrest so there are charges that are undisputed. I hope the trial goes ahead to show 'homegrown' terrorists what the penalties are.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
Regardless of whether he was under the sway of his older brother he still committed the acts. I was living in the area at the time and the whole North Shore was on lock down at the time and caused so much fear when they were on the run.

The attack was planned and the delay won't make much difference to the evidence they have against him. They have to try to buy time, but there is CCTV evidence of his actions and his resisting arrest so there are charges that are undisputed. I hope the trial goes ahead to show 'homegrown' terrorists what the penalties are.

That, and, all the victims have waited long enough for him to face justice. Many of these victims are waiting for this one last thing to happen before they can continue to put this behind them. The acts of these two brothers took so much from so many people. We owe it to the victims to NOT delay this trial any further.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I didn't even realize this way still going on. This guy his guilty, end of story, why are these attorneys prolonging the inevitable? This is the problem with American legal system (I understand it's the best in the world), it gets bogged down with legal maneuvering and it takes years, sometimes decades to achieve justice.
Shame on the lawyers dragging this out, let the victim's families have closure and justice to this horrific event.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
I didn't even realize this way still going on. This guy his guilty, end of story, why are these attorneys prolonging the inevitable? This is the problem with American legal system (I understand it's the best in the world), it gets bogged down with legal maneuvering and it takes years, sometimes decades to achieve justice.
Shame on the lawyers dragging this out, let the victim's families have closure and justice to this horrific event.
Well, even if he does get the death penalty, he has years of appeals to make afterwards. They will all get denied, but he can live a long time in a general population prison if they don't isolated him for his own protection. He will probably get put in maximum security for his protection though so he doesn't get shanked. Even criminals hate a terrorist.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Here is an interesting take on the potential outcome;
News | Death Penalty Information Center

The death penalty may make him look like a martyr and give him the attention that he was seeking. A life imprisonment in general population would be more of a punishment for him. Besides this, it would cost so much money. Closure is needed, the attorneys may be doing their job, but there are so many charges against him, there is no way he will not be convicted of the majority of the charges.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I don't want this guy placed on any kind of a pedestal for doing what he did. Innocent people had their lives lost and many were hurt at an event that people train and compete for years to get to. It's not fair that their hard work is tarnished by this and people lost their lives because of what this guy did!

Lock him up, toss the key and introduce him to Bubba - I know it sounds crass but it really is how I feel. Sorry!

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Anybody wanna guess how long this trial lasts? I'm gonna go with 3 months since it seems like a open and shut case. Since this will be a huge story, it will go longer than it should.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody wanna guess how long this trial lasts? I'm gonna go with 3 months since it seems like a open and shut case. Since this will be a huge story, it will go longer than it should.

I can see this going to several appeals, it depends on the defense strategy and whether they plead insanity, coercion or have something else up their sleeve. The fact he has pleaded not guilty despite obvious evidence he planted the bombs, indicates they are going to try to get him off on something so it will go on for a lot longer than it should. Maybe a year?

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
I can see this going to several appeals, it depends on the defense strategy and whether they plead insanity, coercion or have something else up their sleeve. The fact he has pleaded not guilty despite obvious evidence he planted the bombs, indicates they are going to try to get him off on something so it will go on for a lot longer than it should. Maybe a year?
He will likely get the death penalty and will sit on death row for a number of years while his defense team exhausts all of his appeals. The trial itself will likely be very long with a lot of witnesses. I don't know if I would say a year, but maybe a couple months.