Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Brazil eyes first MANSUP missile acquisition
Victor Barreira, Rio de Janeiro - Jane's Navy International
18 April 2019

The Brazilian Navy is looking to purchase a pre-production batch of 10 MANSUP (Míssil Antinavio Nacional de Superfície) combat surface-to-surface anti-ship missiles, an industry source familiar with the programme recently told Jane's .

The navy wants to sign a contract in late 2019 and begin production in early 2020, the source added. Unlike earlier test missiles, this tranche of missiles will be the first to include a warhead.
Brazil has already test-fired two of the three MANSUP prototypes it has produced to date, with the third and last to be launched in June. (Victor Barreira)

Brazil has already test-fired two of the three MANSUP prototypes it has produced to date, with the third and last to be launched in June. (Victor Barreira)

Two qualification missiles, which also are designated as prototypes, fitted with a telemetry unit were launched in November 2018 and March 2019 from Barroso (V34) corvette and Niterói-class frigate Independência (F44), respectively.

Brazil eyes first MANSUP missile acquisition | Jane's 360

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0

The MANSUP measures 5.6 meters in length, weighs about a ton and reaches a speed of 1000 km/h.

The missile development project using exclusively Brazilian technology started ten years ago in partnership with Avibras, the company responsible for developing missile propulsion, Siatt which develops the system of guidance, control and telemetry, Omnisys which performs the target detection radar design, and the Ezute Foundation which assists in coordinating the necessary work.

Brazil is also developing an air-launched version of the anti-ship missile called MANAER.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Main Features:
• Ship-borne, Anti-Ship Surface-to-Surface missile
• Maximum range: approximately 70 kilometres
• Speed: transonic
• Inertial Guidance with terminal active radar homing
• Sea skimming flight altitude
• Solid propellant rocket-motor
• All weather operation

mansup-en

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
I'm actually surprised Brazil is looking for a bunch of indigenious technology really, I mean it is pretty awesome for the surrounding countries as well. I just wonder what ships they will equip these too

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I'm actually surprised Brazil is looking for a bunch of indigenious technology really, I mean it is pretty awesome for the surrounding countries as well. I just wonder what ships they will equip these too
It's resemblance to the Exocet is uncanny.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
It's resemblance to the Exocet is uncanny.
not to surprising my friend, Brazil is one of France's largest weapon procurers in Latin America. France probably agreed to sell them Exocet Block II or III technology due to the failure of the Dassault-Embraer Rafale deal.