British armed forces order Falklands ‘super missiles’ as Argentina leases Russian jets | World Defense

British armed forces order Falklands ‘super missiles’ as Argentina leases Russian jets

Anonymous

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Colombia
Britain is expected to order £228 million-worth of “super missiles” to provide its Falklands overseas territories with extra protection as Argentina boosts its air power with Russian-loaned jets.

The long-disputed British territory is currently under the protection of Rapier missiles, but the equipment is said to be aging and less effective.

The Sun newspaper reports that the Ministry of Defense (MoD) will purchase a Future Local Air Defense System (FLAADS), a truck-based surface-to-air missile system, to provide additional military support in the area, after it was revealed in December that Argentina would lease fighter jets from Russia.

One source told the paper that the Argentine Air Force hadn’t been updated since their defeat in the 1982 conflict with Britain over the Falklands.

Argentina's Air Force has not improved since their defeat in 1982, but they've repeatedly tried to sort that, despite being cash-strapped.”

“Britain must always stay one step ahead when it comes to defending the Falklands. Rapier has been a great asset, but it's time for a new system to counter further threats,”the source added.

The FLAADS system has reportedly been developed by defense company MBDA UK to replace the Rapier system. In May 2014 it was announced that the MoD had awarded the company a £36 million contract.

3456345754.si.jpg

The Islands, known in Spanish as Las Malvinas, have long been a source of tension for Britain and Argentina.

They have been a British territory since 1833, but Argentina has always insisted the islands rightly belong to them after they inherited them from Spain in the 1800s.

In 1982, Argentina invaded the Falklands. Britain responded by sending troops to stake their claim.

The 74-day conflict caused the deaths of 255 British troops, 649 Argentinians and three native islanders.

Tensions between the two nations were exacerbated in late 2014 after the host of BBC show Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson, and his crew were forced to leave Argentina after driving a car with a controversial number plate through Argentina.

The number plate read H89FKL, which locals insisted was a veiled reference to the Falklands war.

The production crew insisted it was a mere coincidence.

Argentinians are coming for what is from them!

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I hope this is just simple gamesmanship because the last thing either country really needs at the moment is to go to war over that rock again. The fight for the Falklands in the early 1980s still ranks as one of the most pointless endeavors in British military history.

Anonymous

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Colombia
Argentina has no chance against Britain speaking form a military point of view.

That is absolutely true, but that is why they are trying to rent some Russian jets to maybe have a little chance.

But in the other hand we have the British being scared of Argentina that much that they even invested in new defense systems? that seems funny to me, British have a huge superiority in military equipment and army training so why are them scared? they took too serious the fact that the Argentinian are trying to improve their army.

whatever happens, I just wish luck to Argentinians.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
Britain is expected to order £228 million-worth of “super missiles” to provide its Falklands overseas territories with extra protection as Argentina boosts its air power with Russian-loaned jets.

The long-disputed British territory is currently under the protection of Rapier missiles, but the equipment is said to be aging and less effective.

The Sun newspaper reports that the Ministry of Defense (MoD) will purchase a Future Local Air Defense System (FLAADS), a truck-based surface-to-air missile system, to provide additional military support in the area, after it was revealed in December that Argentina would lease fighter jets from Russia.

One source told the paper that the Argentine Air Force hadn’t been updated since their defeat in the 1982 conflict with Britain over the Falklands.

Argentina's Air Force has not improved since their defeat in 1982, but they've repeatedly tried to sort that, despite being cash-strapped.”

“Britain must always stay one step ahead when it comes to defending the Falklands. Rapier has been a great asset, but it's time for a new system to counter further threats,”the source added.

The FLAADS system has reportedly been developed by defense company MBDA UK to replace the Rapier system. In May 2014 it was announced that the MoD had awarded the company a £36 million contract.

3456345754.si.jpg

The Islands, known in Spanish as Las Malvinas, have long been a source of tension for Britain and Argentina.

They have been a British territory since 1833, but Argentina has always insisted the islands rightly belong to them after they inherited them from Spain in the 1800s.

In 1982, Argentina invaded the Falklands. Britain responded by sending troops to stake their claim.

The 74-day conflict caused the deaths of 255 British troops, 649 Argentinians and three native islanders.

Tensions between the two nations were exacerbated in late 2014 after the host of BBC show Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson, and his crew were forced to leave Argentina after driving a car with a controversial number plate through Argentina.

The number plate read H89FKL, which locals insisted was a veiled reference to the Falklands war.

The production crew insisted it was a mere coincidence.

Argentinians are coming for what is from them!
The British have more fire power than Argentina and i don't see the reason for the former to flex her muscles from the military point of view.But i hope an amicable agreement should be formulated to avoid any build up of tension.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Another attempt by Argentina to reclaim the Falklands would be incredibly foolish. They are nowhere near being able to compete with Britain in military capability or geopolitical support.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is creeping me out. There are always like this anywhere in the world. It just increases the chances of World War 3. And if the world continues to be like this, we can expect World War to commence in our generation, which quite terrifying.

Anonymous

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Colombia
This is creeping me out. There are always like this anywhere in the world. It just increases the chances of World War 3. And if the world continues to be like this, we can expect World War to commence in our generation, which quite terrifying.

Actually I would say that World War 3 is being prepared right now, and maybe this one will involve more countries like this one, and other south American countries, probably almost all countries on this world will be involved this time, but I'm not saying this because of the Falklands, it probably will start between NATO, and Russia, North Korea, China, India, Iran, if you look closely the most powerful armies of the world have started to modernize their Military aircraft, and equipment, they are just preparing, maybe in two or three years war may start, unless USA changes his mind on impose to everyone in the world, and probably that never happens so, war is imminent.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
Let's be honest, Argentinian army isn't prepared for a conflict with such a military power an they know it. This is why only locals create some tensions. Argentina wouldn't risk anything against Britain. I'm not going to say something about which country has the right over Falklands, but right now, Britain military power speaks.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I don't know Argentina could possibly surprise us, however from a military point of view they don't seem to have much leverage.

robespierre1789

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Argentina
Argie here. The leasing of Russian jets wasn't in the news here, and I highly doubt it is even true at all.

There absolutely no chance that we go to war. This is just typical British government starting rumours so as to take attention away from social issues.