British Army To Be Cut Down To 60,000 Soldiers? | Page 2 | World Defense

British Army To Be Cut Down To 60,000 Soldiers?

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
It's all for the best; it's not like the UK will overwhelm her enemies with infantry anytime soon. This is also reminiscent of WW1, when the British army threatened to invade austro-hungaria. Bismark said something like, "tell me where their army is so I can arrest them."

Anyway, my point is, the budget could be spent in other military branches.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Don't be so certain about that @Scorpion, he is already pushing it dangerously close as it is which is why Britain and Russia are currently in a cold war, however, Putin is pushing for all out conflict. He thinks that Russia is supreme and he has already begun sealing the ties with Saudi Arabia and China by selling them those missile defense systems.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's all for the best; it's not like the UK will overwhelm her enemies with infantry anytime soon. This is also reminiscent of WW1, when the British army threatened to invade austro-hungaria. Bismark said something like, "tell me where their army is so I can arrest them."

Anyway, my point is, the budget could be spent in other military branches.

I think this brings up an interesting point. If Britain IS cutting the armed forces, then there will obviously be money to spend in other areas of the military, unless of course they're decreasing the military budget altogether and to be honest I can't see that happening.

So how will the extra money be spent?

Obviously it's leaving two other options, the royal navy and the air force, which if any will benefit do we think? And maybe more importantly, which one needs it the most?

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
The money will probably go towards their navy which has always been their strongest military branch. They have been the top of the line for centuries. However, they may also want to distribute some of those funds to the other branches to help strengthen them too. With everything that is going on right now, they don't want to be weak in any area and cutting that many soldiers can put a knick in their defenses.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think the UK can afford to cut ANY part of its military personnel the way things are in the world at the moment. Increased threats from Russia, the battle with ISIS and the threat of Argentina launching another campaign to take the Falkland islands are just three causes for concern.

The government seems hell bent on weakening the UK's capabilities and I think the question has to be asked why?

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Don't forget the Ukraine conflict, the Syrian civil war.... there is a whole list of crazy crap going on.

They must be living under the delusion that everything is right with the world to cut back their military like this at this time.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
If the army is small, imagine if war happend or the country got invaded and just fighting with few thousand soldiers will not be enough and wander what the retired ones will do now will have to find a job to do now that they are not going to be needed. I hope, the moeny is used wisely and not overspent or it will lead to financial problems and the army would not have enough to survive on and would have to close down. I think, it may be a good choice to cut down the number, maybe they want to spend the money on other things and decided to cut down the numbers to do that.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
The British military I think still have sufficient numbers to defend itself against any threat that may come up as regards to any invasion (not that that's likely) but as for any m contributing to any other conflict that's happening in the world, the UK is certainly going to be struggling to make any sort of impact.

Recently Argentina have been making threats regarding the Falkland islands again, and even a conflict such as that which will be relatively small will push the British armed forces to its limit I think.

Governments seem to be robbing establishments like the military in order to fund other parts of the economy and in the short term this might seem viable, the long term effect could be substantial and make the UK a weaker nation.