British jihadis heading to join Isis switch routes via Italy | World Defense

British jihadis heading to join Isis switch routes via Italy

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
British jihadis heading to join Isis switch routes via Italy | World news | The Guardian

Apparently, British jihadis who want to head for Syria choose to travel through Italy and generally across the Mediterranean to Norhern Africa to avoid detection in UK airports.

Sources that monitor the jihadis' route say that they are crossing the channel by ferry then head to Italy, where they sail to Africa, then they reach out to Tunisia in order to cross the borders to Lybia.
They choose Lybia because it's becoming more and more controlled by ISIS.

“We are seeing more and more taking the route across the Mediterranean to Libya; it’s becoming established. When they get there they are looked after. You can even follow some of them on Facebook going through Italy,” said a source.

What do you guys think about this? Should Italy's end be more cautios concerning this?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It'll be hard for the Italians to stop jihadis who probably might be masquerading as tourists from traveling to any place they please. And considering the fact that Southern Europe has been unable to stop illegals from getting into Europe, they'll find it much harder to stop those who are leaving Europe to join ISIS. I believe that even if Italy actually tried to stop jihadis from crossing over to North Africa, they use other routes — Malta, Greece.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Living in the UK, I'm sure the British authorities must know, or at least have an idea about who is leaving to join IS?

I'd imagine that most aren't your normal Muslim, they'd have been radicalized in some way and would have had the attention of the authorities already, and should be stopped before they even leave the country.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Wouldn't it be a little hard to track every Muslim who has been radicalized? And if they haven't been involved in "terrorist activity" how would the intelligence agents prove that they are wannabe jihadis? Could be this is why they have to tread carefully lest their overzealousness cause them more problems than they anticipated.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
Wouldn't it be a little hard to track every Muslim who has been radicalized? And if they haven't been involved in "terrorist activity" how would the intelligence agents prove that they are wannabe jihadis? Could be this is why they have to tread carefully lest their overzealousness cause them more problems than they anticipated.

Very good point you've exposed. I wonder how would the authorities distinguish between the good seeds and bad ones, but I guess we'll see some security enforcements in the future. One recourse they would take is to impose more strict rules concerning the information flow and access of the average human on the Internet, but given how many times they've tried to unsuccessfully implement those so-called "Internet restrictions", I very much doubt they would be able to stop in any way these "jihadi wannabes", along with many other problems.

But now disregarding this specific issues with people that haven't done anything bad that would trigger the "interest" for authorities to question them before traveling, they don't do a very great job with those that have had law impediments in the past, either, so I'm personally not relieved at all.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I have read of 3 female students in London which have gone missing. Amid the worries of their parents, it was a shocker when they found out that the studens went to Syria to join the ISIS on their own volition. As of the latest, those students were believed to have become wives of ISIS fighters. Tsk, tsk, what a misfortune for the parents.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I wonder how would the authorities distinguish between the good seeds and bad ones, but I guess we'll see some security enforcements in the future.

But now disregarding this specific issues with people that haven't done anything bad that would trigger the "interest" for authorities to question them before traveling, they don't do a very great job with those that have had law impediments in the past, either, so I'm personally not relieved at all.
Jihadi John it is claimed never had the intention of being a terrorist. But the authorities believing him to be one, made his life rather difficult and he "snapped." That's what his friend said but the veracity of his story can't be confirmed.

Nonetheless I believe that should someone who isn't a jihadi be questioned and it makes them feel like they are being discriminated against, guess how that would affect them? Since the authorities consider them "enemies" then they'll have no choice but to . . . join those who'll accept them as they are.

Counterproductive?

Last edited:

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Italy's got a lot on it's plate right now. Not only is it being deluged with migrants, it now finds itself as the main hub in the route to Syria. Hopefully, they have the additional resources available as there is likely to be an increased police and military presence needed in certain areas now.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Come to think of it, since jihadis can serve their Caliph wherever they be, forcing them to stay home doesn't mean Westerners will be safer. Making an IED is very easy so should they get orders to kill some people, they can make a bomb and . . .

It's better IMO to let the jihadis leave. If they can be stopped from coming back . . . that's good riddance.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
It should be concerning that ISIS has an easier time recruiting then the British Army does. The British Army as repeatedly done recruiting drives, and they just can not get recruits. Considering that ISIS doesn't pay it soldiers, offers you a good chance of getting killed and has zero benefits, it is remarkable that they are able to get recruits.

Maybe the British Army should study how ISIS recruits and copy their system :)

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
It's a shame they don't stand out as much as the tinfoil hat cult members, or the white hooded KKK, or the drooling trolls with the look of emptiness and confusion in their eyes like the Westboro church peons.

Has any other cult had this much success in recruiting, that you guys are aware of? Everyday I hear about more young people leaving their home to join them.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
It's a shame they don't stand out as much as the tinfoil hat cult members, or the white hooded KKK, or the drooling trolls with the look of emptiness and confusion in their eyes like the Westboro church peons.

Has any other cult had this much success in recruiting, that you guys are aware of? Everyday I hear about more young people leaving their home to join them.

Not that I'm aware of, no. This is a serious issue humanity is dealing with, and whenever I see on the TV news like: "A city has been released from ISIS", it disgusts me. We very well know that a city being freed once a year won't solve problems. They are continuously expanding, and nobody seems to bat an eye. And as far as you guys can see, muslim people are heading for Europe in huge numbers. Beware!

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Muslims getting the hell out of dodge doesn't concern me. ISIS gaining more power everyday isn't making me bat an eye, but its making me bat both of them. I've never seen anything like this before. There are cults all over the place. They're a dime a dozen. But it's terrifying to see a group of terrorists being able to recruit so many, and do so much damage, and remain so invulnerable.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
Muslims getting the hell out of dodge doesn't concern me. ISIS gaining more power everyday isn't making me bat an eye, but its making me bat both of them. I've never seen anything like this before. There are cults all over the place. They're a dime a dozen. But it's terrifying to see a group of terrorists being able to recruit so many, and do so much damage, and remain so invulnerable.

They must be helped by a power that lies in the shadows, there's no other way. I don't seem to be able to explain how they got so much power and attention in a rather short amount of time, either. Call me a conspirationist, but I don't see how they could become so powerful unless being helped by those who allegedly fights against them at the same time.