China accuses US of serious military provocation | World Defense

China accuses US of serious military provocation

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
China accuses US of serious military provocation

China on Saturday accused the U.S. of committing a "serious military provocation" by flying an Air Force B-52 strategic bomber over a Chinese-controlled man-made island in the South China Sea.

China's Defense Ministry said in a statement that the U.S. is deliberately raising tensions in the disputed region where China has been aggressively asserting its claims to virtually all islands, reefs and their surrounding seas.

"The actions by the U.S. side constitute a serious military provocation and are rendering more complex and even militarizing conditions in the South China Sea.," the statement said. It demanded Washington immediately take measures to prevent such incidents and damage to relations between the two nations' militaries.

The statement said Chinese military personnel on the island went on high alert during the Dec. 10 overflight and issued warnings demanding the aircraft leave the area. As it has in past, the ministry also said it would take whatever necessary measures to protect China's sovereignty and security.

The U.S. takes no official stance on sovereignty claims in the strategically crucial sea, through which $5 trillion in international trade passes each year. However, Washington insists on freedom of navigation and maintains that China's seven newly created islands do not enjoy traditional rights including a 12-nautical mile (22-kilometer) territorial limit.

There was no immediate Pentagon response to the latest Chinese protest. News reports quoted spokesman Cmdr. Bill Urban as saying in Washington that China had raised its complaints over the flight and the U.S. was investigating.

Urban said the flight was not a "freedom of navigation" operation, indicating that the plane may have strayed off course. The U.S. uses pre-planned freedom of navigation operations to assert its rights to "innocent passage" in other country's territorial waters.

Critics in the U.S. say freedom of navigation operations around the man-made islands appear to contradict Washington's assertions that they have no right to territorial waters in the first place.

China's latest protest comes amid a simmering dispute over Washington's approval of the first arms package offered to Beijing's self-governing rival Taiwan in four years.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
From the sounds of it it just sounds like the US Airforce was trying to annoy China, which they clearly have done it looks like.

Also in a way this is not really any different from what Russia does, as in flying their aircraft close to the airspace borders of western nations.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
From the sounds of it it just sounds like the US Airforce was trying to annoy China, which they clearly have done it looks like.

Also in a way this is not really any different from what Russia does, as in flying their aircraft close to the airspace borders of western nations.
That's also my impression, it's not a direct provocation but just an annoyance. I think US air force is testing the waters on what the reaction of the Chinese would be. As far as the Philippines and US are concerned, China is trespassing and that man-made structure on one of the disputed islands is a forcing through act of China, a direct action to claim it. What happens next will be exciting, I guess.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That's all this is I reckon, just trying to annoy the opposite nations. China does it as well I'm sure. It's only this time that it has made news while in reality these types of "incursions" happen on a daily to weekly basis.

To put it short; move along here folks, nothing to see here.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think we all agree that this classic US arrogance and of course that they didn't flew there by accident. So, as we all know by now that China is not playing games any more this things should not be happening if United States want peace in the world. It really looks like it was a provocation by their side and I would like to hear an official response by the government of the US. I can think of anything in their defence on this one and if it happens again, well, we will see about that outcome. It is know fact that Chinese are frustrated by years of being so numerous but poor. Now they have grew to be a strong country in every department and they want to show that.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it is not a good idea to try and get China to be annoyed as it can make them end the relationship to the USA and it will be a blow to both countries as China has investments in the country and hope that the USA does not get real arrogrant and do something which can make China oppose them. and testing them can make the country angry and it is something that the country needs to think about. China has shown to be a strong country which can have more power and money and it can make other countries jealous in some cases that can make them want to test China, and see what they can achieve and also it can people think that China will not do anything in return. I hope that we see more news about what has occured and what can be the consequencses of this occuring and it can lead to bigger problems later on if the issues are not resolved down the road and think USA should not do it again.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I don't think there should be any undue alarm over this issue. China is seeking to become a dominant world power, especially in South East Asia. We all know that the United States is a dominant world power, so China is using the opportunity so simulate some muscle flexing.

rz3300

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Well it is probably not a good sign when the USA and China are going at it. I think that on the whole we are pretty safe and we know that we are pretty much coexistent and dependent on one another, but it is still a real possibility that there are some trade actions that come from either party. I am interested to follow this story and see where it goes.

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
Alright, yeah. The US does do some things to upset them, I'll grant you that. What about the things that China has done to upset the US, though? Like marching their troops and doing drills right outside of Mexico near the border to the US and playing cyber wargames and trying to hack major corporations to get access to systems and information they shouldn't have? They don't think that's provocation? If not, that sounds like a hypocrite to me. It's a cause and effect response. If China does something to put the US at risk (like selling off billions of US bonds to try and crash the market in their favor), then the US is going to mess with them in a different way and piss them off because one action like that deserves another, as long as it makes sense and isn't overboard. It's not always them messing with them either. Sometimes it's just saying: "Hey, we know what you're trying to do. You know what we just did, too. So cool it, ok?" and nothing more. You have to stand up for yourself when they play games like that, whether they're war games, financial games, or any other type, or they're going to take advantage and try to walk all over you if you let them or give them an inch to.