China : AVIC hints 3rd Stealth Fighter Project ‘J-35’, planned for PLAN | World Defense

China : AVIC hints 3rd Stealth Fighter Project ‘J-35’, planned for PLAN

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The jet in the tweet is the Shenyang FC-31.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
The jet in the tweet is the Shenyang FC-31.
Some speculate the jet to be a modified or improvised version of FC-31 aka v3

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Nevermind, development of the "J-35" would be based on the J-31. It is going to be a variant not completely different project.
Like i said, that’s a rumour currently.
Although, fact is undeniable that after the first flight of 2nd prototype of FC-31 aka v2 flew in 2017, v3 has been in news. And this has been proven multiple times by the fact that the first prototype has seen reappearances and an overall different concept static scale model of FC-31 unlike v1 and v2 has been displayed on occasions.

Until now, only AVIC (parent organization of Chinese Aviation Industry), has hinted J-35. No word that it would be a CAC project or a SAC project.

If it is a CAC project then expect a longer project which might be based on J-20.

If SAC then it could definitely be based on FC-31 and the mysterious v3.

OR if it is SAC project, then the question will arise as to what happened with FC-31 project which had eyes from multiple potential customers around the world !!!

Judging by the need of time and emergency requirement of a 5th Gen platform by PLAN, i would make a guess that since the 2nd carriergot commissioned last week, while 3rd us under construction and slated to be inducted by late 2021, that carrier would definitely deploy J-15A/B/D BUT it might have EMALS as well.

4th carrier will begin construction soon and will be inducted by 2023-4 while 5th carrier by 2025-26.

So going by this pattern, i can guess that a SAC project will result in a v3 Naval version, which can complete first flight as soon as late 2021 and enter LRIP by 2024 to accompany the 4th and 5th carriers and eventually the 3rd carrier alongside J-15B/D.

Regards

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Ohh BTW,
As we speak,

Here are pics of a second prototype of v1 version, the black one that flew as a tech demonstrator in 2012.

So now we have a total of 3 confirmed FC-32 with 2 units being v1 while 1 of v2. There are rumours of another unit of v2 but they are unconfirmed as of now.

It is quite conclusive to say that FC-31 project having at least 3 prototypes cannot simply be scrapped or abandoned. Had this the case, they would have stopped v1 or the first machine of v2.

So i am all voting for J-35 to be based on FC-31 ‘v3’

04D1DD82-A624-4682-ADF6-800AFEB3CB9C.jpeg

D93097CF-3B37-436A-A4D5-6B0F603577A4.jpeg

85B3E8F0-A864-404A-8989-BFC1628B132A.jpeg

BTW

@CHI RULES @Lieutenant @Scorpion @Mastankhan @AliYusuf @UAE @Signalian

Any theory as to why the underside is so strangely flat?
Could it be that China is trying something new / out of the box ?
At first thoughts, this pic reminded of the

7FC90360-CF11-434F-ACE3-BB7CA1196930.jpeg

At first thoughts, this pic reminded of this underbelly, as of they will later on do something similar on a Fighter Aircraft

1577105746669.jpeg

But then a better theory came to my mind but the problem is, any of the above 2 theories will result in the loss of internal bay space as well as increase RCS tremendously.

So like there are Anti Submarine Warfare sonars under chin of some ASW Naval Helis, something similar in this as well ?

1577105937557.jpeg

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Ohh BTW,
As we speak,

Here are pics of a second prototype of v1 version, the black one that flew as a tech demonstrator in 2012.

So now we have a total of 3 confirmed FC-32 with 2 units being v1 while 1 of v2. There are rumours of another unit of v2 but they are unconfirmed as of now.

It is quite conclusive to say that FC-31 project having at least 3 prototypes cannot simply be scrapped or abandoned. Had this the case, they would have stopped v1 or the first machine of v2.

So i am all voting for J-35 to be based on FC-31 ‘v3’

View attachment 12010
View attachment 12011
View attachment 12012

BTW

@CHI RULES @Lieutenant @Scorpion @Mastankhan @AliYusuf @UAE @Signalian

At first thoughts, this pic reminded of the

View attachment 12013

At first thoughts, this pic reminded of this underbelly, as of they will later on do something similar on a Fighter Aircraft

View attachment 12014

But then a better theory came to my mind but the problem is, any of the above 2 theories will result in the loss of internal bay space as well as increase RCS tremendously.

So like there are Anti Submarine Warfare sonars under chin of some ASW Naval Helis, something similar in this as well ?

View attachment 12015

Could it be that the J-31 has a major flaw in its aerodynamic design that China is working on a second version of the same FC-31 as Lieutenant has briefly alluded to? With the recent introduction of the aircraft carrier, I can safely draw the conclusion of China imitating the F-35 model.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Could it be that the J-31 has a major flaw in its aerodynamic design that China is working on a second version of the same FC-31 as Lieutenant has briefly alluded to? With the recent introduction of the aircraft carrier, I can safely draw the conclusion of China imitating the F-35 model.
The newly teased J-35 is a ‘Twin-Engine’ fighter instead of single.

As far as i remember, the v2 design was perfect to go into production but the demands weren’t there from PLAN or PLAAF.

But PLAN has been looking seriously into a 5th gen platform for its carriers since quite some years.

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
The newly teased J-35 is a ‘Twin-Engine’ fighter instead of single.

As far as i remember, the v2 design was perfect to go into production but the demands weren’t there from PLAN or PLAAF.

But PLAN has been looking seriously into a 5th gen platform for its carriers since quite some years.

Hi,

The bottom flat area may not be a difficult fix---. The missile bay doors---the under carriage can be modified---to more aerodynamic shape---made stealth---. J31 is not a bad design---it is tactically very difficult for any nation to steal the american top notch design and to thumb their noses at them and build it as well---.

Americans let you get away so far---. But if you steal their top tier design---copy it and produce it---there may be consequences---. So---the chinese need to move cautiously---. Remember---F35 and F22 are american babies---just don't copy them---.

But if you can copy their aircraft carrier---or their wolfe class subs or their main battle tank or their virginia class subs or the Teconderoga class frigate---the americans would not be as agitated---. But make steal and make a copy of the F35 and F22---and then see the problem coming your way---.

AliYusuf

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan
I would say to let a definitive prototype based on the modifications that flies first be made. Then we can analyse.

I am never in favor of conjecture and speculation. First, because I am not knowledgeable enough and second because it seldom serves any purpose.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

The bottom flat area may not be a difficult fix---. The missile bay doors---the under carriage can be modified---to more aerodynamic shape---made stealth---. J31 is not a bad design---it is tactically very difficult for any nation to steal the american top notch design and to thumb their noses at them and build it as well---.

Americans let you get away so far---. But if you steal their top tier design---copy it and produce it---there may be consequences---. So---the chinese need to move cautiously---. Remember---F35 and F22 are american babies---just don't copy them---.

But if you can copy their aircraft carrier---or their wolfe class subs or their main battle tank or their virginia class subs or the Teconderoga class frigate---the americans would not be as agitated---. But make steal and make a copy of the F35 and F22---and then see the problem coming your way---.
Ahh alas,
The hyphens are back. Btw, same guy from the other world

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
D504A209-5CFE-48F3-8544-124B3BC8F80B.jpeg
AE427228-C596-4AA5-98A8-62F520DD588C.jpeg
1D33DB9F-9F4C-4AF5-985F-BBDA2EC0310E.jpeg

Full scale mockup of FC-31 v2 recently in China (Source : Twitter)