China closer to Iran: why? | World Defense

China closer to Iran: why?

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
I must say I was unaware and I find this surprising. Maybe for some it looks less surprising, but China being often politically alone when it comes to foreign relationships when it comes to military, politic and ideology instead of manufacturing (because North America & Europe is only interested in that, and to customers in China), they choose surprising allies. And that's what happening with Iran.

They now stepped up on the cooperation between China and Iran's Air Force. For example, two Chinese warship got at Iran's Bandar Abbas port to take part in a joint exercise. China also helped the deal to lift sanctions to Iran.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I have this feeling that China is close to Iran simply because Iran is anathema to the US. In other words, Iran is an enemy of their enemy so it is okay to be close. That's also true in the case of Korea. China is considered an ally of North Korea while its enemy, the South Korea is an ally of the US. The equation will be ruined when Russia enters the scene. Will it be a 3-cornered fight?

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Why surprising,Iran has oil and gas,thats it,nothing else.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Why surprising,Iran has oil and gas,thats it,nothing else.

That is not the case. China oil and gas come from GCC. Also Iran doesn't produce that much oil. 1~2 million per day at maximum.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
US is close to Iran too, the media is really exaggerating the so called 'US-Iran' rivalry. It doesn't exist, behind the scenes they cooperate. West wants to get closer with Iran, Iran is a little hesitant because Western companies will dominate their local industries and they won't be able to compete. Hence Iran would become a Western client state in future, they like the West but they want their own 'glorly' in a sense.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
That is not the case. China oil and gas come from GCC. Also Iran doesn't produce that much oil. 1~2 million per day at maximum.
Iran produces 3.3 milion barrels per day which can be doubled in no time,you seem to have forgetten that Iran is open for business now,it can produce more then ever with help from European countries and dont forget the gas reserves of Iran(second in the world after Russia).
China needs all the oil and gas it can get,be it from Russia,GCC or Iran.
Maybe Iran is also a good new market for Chinese products(doubt it when Europe is the other option)
Why else would China risk ''losing'' the GCC countries?
My guess is that China doesnt have much of a choice,the GCC is seen as an ''ally'' of the West(USA),which means that the GCC could suddenly decide to stop the oil business with China,this could lead to the ''collapse'' of the Chinese economy.
Just answer one question:
If Iran wouldnt have any oil or gas reserves,why else would China be getting closer to Iran?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Iran produces 3.3 milion barrels per day which can be doubled in no time,you seem to have forgetten that Iran is open for business now,it can produce more then ever with help from European countries and dont forget the gas reserves of Iran(second in the world after Russia).
China needs all the oil and gas it can get,be it from Russia,GCC or Iran.
Maybe Iran is also a good new market for Chinese products(doubt it when Europe is the other option)
Why else would China risk ''losing'' the GCC countries?
My guess is that China doesnt have much of a choice,the GCC is seen as an ''ally'' of the West(USA),which means that the GCC could suddenly decide to stop the oil business with China,this could lead to the ''collapse'' of the Chinese economy.
Just answer one question:
If Iran wouldnt have any oil or gas reserves,why else would China be getting closer to Iran?

China shows less demand in the past week till this day which has driven oil prices down further.

You are mixing politics with economy which is not the case for China. GCC and China deals on pure business. China has a lot of investment in the GCC worth billions and likewise for the GCC in China.

We have a solid economic relation date decades and both China and GCC can't afford to risk.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
We have a solid economic relation date decades and both China and GCC can't afford to risk.
Then explain why China is getting closer to Iran?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Then explain why China is getting closer to Iran?

Iran was sanctioned and China respected that. Now the sanctions are partially removed meaning Iran and China can start doing business but to say that China is completely shifting to Iran is untrue.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Even before the sanctions were lifted, Iran was laying the groundwork to increase their oil sales to China. Oil is what draws these two closer and I suppose China expects that they'll be able to sell more arms to Iran.

If China is going to be buy more oil from Iran, since the two countries are in agreement that a different currency should be used for oil payments,they could start paying for oil in Yuans. It would challenge the world domination of the US dollar and this is something China has been after for a really long time. Friendship with Iran apparently will speed up their plans to make the Yuan a global currency.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
I have this feeling that China is close to Iran simply because Iran is anathema to the US. In other words, Iran is an enemy of their enemy so it is okay to be close. That's also true in the case of Korea. China is considered an ally of North Korea while its enemy, the South Korea is an ally of the US. The equation will be ruined when Russia enters the scene. Will it be a 3-cornered fight?
That's exactly what I thought: this forgets fully Russia of the equation, while they are there. And I wouldn't be surprised they suddenly want to get implied in that kind of geopolitical matter. After all, who knows if they only joined the Syria combat only for interests.
But I don't think China is acting to take only the enemies of U.S., is rather doesn't want to take any U.S. allies. Basically, for me, it feels like China is just taking leftovers, seriously. And North Korea isn't at all an allies of China.

Even before the sanctions were lifted, Iran was laying the groundwork to increase their oil sales to China. Oil is what draws these two closer and I suppose China expects that they'll be able to sell more arms to Iran.

If China is going to be buy more oil from Iran, since the two countries are in agreement that a different currency should be used for oil payments,they could start paying for oil in Yuans. It would challenge the world domination of the US dollar and this is something China has been after for a really long time. Friendship with Iran apparently will speed up their plans to make the Yuan a global currency.
The fact Iran is closer to China, if they have oil to sale, isn't that surprising given they don't have much countries to sell their oil yet, and as sanctions get lifted, it would improve. But the reverse is rather surprising.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The fact Iran is closer to China, if they have oil to sale, isn't that surprising given they don't have much countries to sell their oil yet, and as sanctions get lifted, it would improve. But the reverse is rather surprising.
It shouldn't be surprising because China will profit more from this relationship. Take a look at this:

Why China likes the Iran deal (Opinion) - CNN.com
China also sees an important strategic opportunity in a renewed relationship with Iran, and can be expected to expand its traditional friendship in four key areas: infrastructure development, energy, limited regional security cooperation and political cooperation to dilute U.S. influence in the region.

So it really isn't all about oil.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
It shouldn't be surprising because China will profit more from this relationship. Take a look at this:

Why China likes the Iran deal (Opinion) - CNN.com
China also sees an important strategic opportunity in a renewed relationship with Iran, and can be expected to expand its traditional friendship in four key areas: infrastructure development, energy, limited regional security cooperation and political cooperation to dilute U.S. influence in the region.

So it really isn't all about oil.
You basically confirm what I say: Iran is for this relationship for, right now, "commercial" purposes with oil. But I don't think that China is wanting that relationship for the oil and that's the whole difference. Basically they catch Iran with commerce, but after, they will expand their relationship beyond that.

But I'm a bit doubtful about China breaking really the U.S. influence by this strategy. Okay, it might work, and they might be aware of this, but given how Iran is actually governed, U.S. influence on Iran is still near 0 as of today and on previous years. The real risk is to see if China is going to use its powers to force lift of the sanctions or if they done it "for the goodwill".

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I'm a bit doubtful about China breaking really the U.S. influence by this strategy. Okay, it might work, and they might be aware of this, but given how Iran is actually governed, U.S. influence on Iran is still near 0 as of today and on previous years. The real risk is to see if China is going to use its powers to force lift of the sanctions or if they done it "for the goodwill".
Iran's influence in the Middle East is growing and as Iranian influence grows, the U.S's influence in the Middle East weakens. If China is Iran's ally they can supplant the US.

Whilst talking about China-Iran relations, you ought to read this article:

China Is Behind the Nuclear Program in Iran. And North Korea. And Pakistan. Tablet Magazine

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well Iran has been an outcast to the Western world over its nuclear program and so China may see this partnership has a way of showing the West that it is not afraid of them and also that it is the superpower when it comes to the Asian region.