China dominating Spratlys | World Defense

China dominating Spratlys

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
News just out that the airstrip of China in Kagitingan island is almost completed. It is like flexing the muscle to show the world, or Asia in particular, that they have the strength. Amid the protestation of Philippines and Vietnam on the structures in the contested island, China continues the construction and it seems like it is converting the island into a naval base.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Well there's little Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan could have done to stop the Chinese from building the airstrip.

Making the Island a naval base is the final step of [re]claiming the Islands. And once that is done, Spratly Islands will officially be Chinese territory . . .

The Islands rightfully belonged to Taiwan though and by extension, China, since Taiwan is a break-way Chinese territory so I think China had a right to seize the Islands.

"Leave Asia to Asians," is China's message to the world, and the U.S in particular.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@Redheart, the Chinese navy in the Spratlys who are guarding the construction of the airstrip are trigger happy. There was an encounter last year with Vietnamese troops but they did not use guns. The Chinese ship rammed the Vietnamese boat that it almost sank. And I fully agree with you that the airstrip is the basic step to make that island a military base.

The Philippine government is now thinking of something bold to send China a message that we are not going to be bullied just like that. But I still have to know what kind of bold move would that be.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The Philippine government is now thinking of something bold to send China a message that we are not going to be bullied just like that. But I still have to know what kind of bold move would that be.

Interesting, @ Corzhens.

But I wonder though would the bold statement make a difference? I mean if Asian affairs from now on will be solved by Asians and China is "chief" they'll do whatever they please, won't they?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Interesting, @ Corzhens.

But I wonder though would the bold statement make a difference? I mean if Asian affairs from now on will be solved by Asians and China is "chief" they'll do whatever they please, won't they?

Hmm, somehow that bold statement may make a difference no matter how slight simply because China has a hint that the US is behind the Philippines. Frankly, I am agitated by the situation in the Spratlys because in the eyes of the Philippines, China is flexing its muscles. Their navy even had the gall to warn US planes from flying over their air space (in the Spratlys).

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Were mistakes made in the past when China [before it got to be as powerful as it is today] had an enticing offer for the Philippines and other disputants?

In 1992:

In Spratlys Crisis, China Offers Joint Development - Again - NYTimes.com
China sought Tuesday to defuse a potentially explosive conflict over control of the South China Sea, saying that it was ready to put aside the core dispute and explore prospects for joint development of the area.

Qian Qichen, China's foreign minister, made the offer in a meeting with foreign ministers of the Association of South East Asian Nations, officials of the group said.
They all have should have the accepted the joint development offer.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@Redheart, I had never come across with that item regarding China's offer. You know governments, they are handled by elective officials so long term planning is not in their agenda. Even now, we are having so many issues with other countries but it seems that all the government does is make press releases. Nothing concrete is done in that Spratlys issues now except rants against China.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
No one is going to offer to be an arbiter in this dispute so it's better for all disputants to send their diplomats to China and negotiate with the Chinese government. Joint ownership of the Islands is a much better option than losing everything because if there's no agreement China, gets to keep the Islands.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
No one is going to offer to be an arbiter in this dispute so it's better for all disputants to send their diplomats to China and negotiate with the Chinese government. Joint ownership of the Islands is a much better option than losing everything because if there's no agreement China, gets to keep the Islands.

I agree that it is the ideal setup for the Spratlys. That's what is also on my mind all along. However, there is no one initiating moves towards that direction. And with the skirmishes that happened between China and Vietnam and between China and Philippines, that diplomatic negotiation is untenable at this moment. From what I see, the US is trying to give a hint that it is willing to be the arbiter.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
China will not accept the offer and has repeatedly demanded that the U.S should stay out of "Asian affairs." Anyway since some bitterness exists, any attempt to reconcile the disputants won't end in success. What I can't get is, why are these small group of Islands so important to China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan?