China Sea Land Reclamation | World Defense

China Sea Land Reclamation

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Last week there were some stories about how island building by China had stopped, now it seems this is mainly because their plan of work has been completed on many of these islands

See China’s rapid island-building strategy in action - The Washington Post

"That does not reflect a change in policy but simply an acknowledgement of the fact that the project to stake China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea more forcefully had moved onto a new phase, experts say."

This is bound to lead to more instability in the area as nations like Malaysia, Vietnam and the Philippines feel less secure and more in danger of overt conflict over disputed territories.

China proceeds with building artificial islands on reefs claimed by Philippines | World news | The Guardian

"The convergence of a growing number of military vessels from different countries has led to fears of accidental clashes and miscalculations. But a code of unplanned encounters at sea that the US and China observe has helped prevent misunderstandings."

I am curious as to what this code is exactly , and what might happen when it stops being scrupulously observed.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I have read in the newspaper recently the statement of a Philippine military general that China had stopped the ongoing construction of the airstrip. But what if it is completed already hence the work stoppage? I am still praying that claimant countries to those islands would come to an agreement for a peaceful co-existence. How about it if those islands would be cultivated as tourist spots? That's the best dream for me.

Xanthosh

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Australia
I suppose they need those islands for industrial reasons. I mainly think that. If that's true then, isn't it okay? They're perfecting islands, as it were, for some industries they don't want in the mainland.

Besides that, I can't guess what their intentions are.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
The article linked makes a pretty good case for them being military installations with military vehicles and equipment in plain sight. That also correlates with Chinese government statements that they will be actively defensing their territorial claims. IMHO building an island is massively expensive so I doubt there would be any economic reason to do it given that China is the very opposite of "land poor".

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I suppose they need those islands for industrial reasons. I mainly think that. If that's true then, isn't it okay? They're perfecting islands, as it were, for some industries they don't want in the mainland.

Besides that, I can't guess what their intentions are.
They are making military bases out of those islands,China claims the South-China Sea(almost all of it).
There is oil and gas in that area.

Xanthosh

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Australia
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me!
To whom does it rightfully belong, by the way? I really don't know, to be honest. And would love if someone told me.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me!
To whom does it rightfully belong, by the way? I really don't know, to be honest. And would love if someone told me.

I'm not saying this because I am a Filipino but the Spratlys was discovered by a certain Admiral Tomas Cloma, the owner of a maritime school in Manila. Cloma claimed ownership of the islands in behalf of the Philippines. Unfortunately, the government ignored Cloma, thinking that he was a lunatic or sorts. After some years, some other nations began visiting the islands and claiming parts of it. From what I know, the Philippines occupies the biggest island called Kalayaan.

Xanthosh

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Australia
I'm not saying this because I am a Filipino but the Spratlys was discovered by a certain Admiral Tomas Cloma, the owner of a maritime school in Manila. Cloma claimed ownership of the islands in behalf of the Philippines. Unfortunately, the government ignored Cloma, thinking that he was a lunatic or sorts. After some years, some other nations began visiting the islands and claiming parts of it. From what I know, the Philippines occupies the biggest island called Kalayaan.

Sometime ago, they held an international conference, I think it was in a South East Asian capital, where the Chinese President stressed economic development in the region, so that the whole region could benefit.
In that conference was also Abe, the Japanese PM, talking about apologizing for World War II, and stuff.
I understand the situation a bit better. Thanks to you guys.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA

When did that happen? Which year? Never heard of it.
You do realize in 1400s the Chinese fleet sailed around the world. At the time their ships are 10x the size of European ships of the same era.
Don't take my words for it. Just Google keywords "Admiral Zheng He". It is a common knowledge around the world.

If you are talking about 1800s, they are much too late to "discover" Spartly islands. Vietnamese also have a story of how they "governed" Spartly and Paracel thousands years ago while 700 out of the last 2,000 years they were actually under the occupation of different Chinese dynasties.

The term "Philippines" was even given by the European colonists. They certainly didn't arrive in Asia during 1400s.

The bottomline is, every country has their own "story" of why they are the legit owner of the disputed islands. Some "history" are not creditable.

Not to mention the fact when the Spanish signed treaty to give up Philippines to the United States, it never included Spartly islands. The US government even backed ROC (Republic of China on Taiwan)'s claim on Spartly islands when Philippines tried to claim Spartly islands for the first time by unplugging two ROC flags on two of the islands in the 60s.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Sometime ago, they held an international conference, I think it was in a South East Asian capital, where the Chinese President stressed economic development in the region, so that the whole region could benefit.
In that conference was also Abe, the Japanese PM, talking about apologizing for World War II, and stuff.
I understand the situation a bit better. Thanks to you guys.

That international conference you are saying is good news particularly so that it included Japan. Yes, the Japanese PM is usually apologetic of the world war II when in gathering of nations. At least that issue about the atrocities of war is now put to rest. And you said that the Chinese president stressed economic development in the region, I can feel peace is coming soon and everything will be settled amicably.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
@Corzhens When I read what you said about Cloma, my first thought was, "The Philipines has 7100 islands. Like they really need anymore" lol I still can't stop thinking about 7100 islands. I didn't think there were that many on the entire planet.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
@Corzhens When I read what you said about Cloma, my first thought was, "The Philipines has 7100 islands. Like they really need anymore" lol I still can't stop thinking about 7100 islands. I didn't think there were that many on the entire planet.

It depends on your definition of islands. Some are too tiny to sustain any population. They are in fact reefs, rocks, whatever. Most of them can't be found on the map. There are definitely tens thousands if not more of them around the world.

However, the number of islands is not the issue here. Philippines repeatedly expanded their boundary to include more and more of the Spartly islands since 1960s while they have never claimed them in the past. China's claim might seem to be so aggressive, but they were indeed the first one to claim this region way before anyone else. Anyway, usually in a dispute, each side has their own story. Sometimes they all seem to be "legit"...

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I am sure all those largely uninhabitable bits and pieces of land were used by all of the nations in the surrounding areas at some time or another. The thing is they now have hugely disproportionate importance because of how they effect national boundaries and rights in relation to the sea.

I think China's increasingly uncompromising attitude signals some serious carp coming down the pipe, most recently: China opens exhibition to mark the war victory over Japan - The Denver Post

At some point they are going to outright seize most of these territories and just start acting as if this establishes their new rights and boundaries. And who is going to be willing to stop them?

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Glad they stopped. I don't think island building is a good idea. We are not God, we can not expect to manipulate nature like that and succeed. A man made island is likely to erode quickly and ultimately be a huge waste of resources.