China warns PH, Japan on plane deal | World Defense

China warns PH, Japan on plane deal

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The agreement of the Philippines to lease 5 aircraft from Japan sent chills to China. Those aircraft are for patrolling the disputed Spratlys islands in the South China Sea. Philippine President Noynoy Aquino said that the 5 TC-90 aircraft would be used for surveillance flights by the Philippine navy which is the sentinel of the Philippine occupied islands in the area. Hong Lei, China's foreign ministry spokesman, said “If the Philippines’ actions are to challenge China’s sovereignty and security interests, China is resolutely opposed.”

Read more:China warns PH, Japan on plane deal | Inquirer Global Nation
Follow us:@inquirerdotnet on Twitter|inquirerdotnet on Facebook

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Once again, the never ending saga, and this time, it seems to be getting a bit more serious. I see that Japan which had vowed to be a neutral country is gradually discarding that stance and they have been willing to stoke the fire a bit leasing those planes to the Philippines. It's no secret that there is no love lost between China and Japan. I don't know which of the two Countries, China or the Philippines has the right or wrong in this situation, however, I do hope that they will be able to come to some amicable agreement before there might be bloodshed.

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt that China is going to be too bothered from it ultimately, but they could be highly irritated by the arrangement alone. The planes themselves are outdated and archaic compared to today's standards, but it does set the precedent of Japan and the Philippines doing business and making arrangements which clearly exclude China and give strength and favor to Japan. Considering the stock market and economy of China right now due to the US no longer buying as much cheap stuff from them as they used to and the rest of the world following suit, it could be seen as a way to anger China and make them confrontational with Japan if it happens too much. These planes would not be the tipping point, not yet. A warning maybe, but not the straw that breaks the camel's back to send them marching to war. It would take a lot more which I hope we don't have to see happen.