China's increasing influence in the Americas | World Defense

China's increasing influence in the Americas

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
So China has been investing and forming new partnerships in a number of countries in the Americas namely the Caribbean and Latin America. Do you think this is an effort by China to be closer to the US? China has gotten lands in a number of these countries and their investment means that the countries' loyalty to America may be threatened. What do you think?

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Latin America is an important supplier of raw materials and natural resources, existing and emerging economic powers are currently in a race to exploit these resources. China has been looking to replicate its success in Africa elsewhere. There is certainly no lack of demand for mineral resources in burgeoning Chinese industries.

I don't think this is motivated by a desire to be closer to the US. Of course, the influence China gains through hefty investments into these countries will be there. But why shouldn't it? This isn't vulture capitalism, the economic activity this generates will not only diversify Latin American economies but help prop up economic growth, development and standard of living. If the US wants to maintain economic dominance in the region, they are free to compete, and benefit Latin America in the process.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
In the first place, why would China desire to be closer to the US? It had every opportunity to do so in the last few years but no "closer" relationship transpired. China's desire is to oust the US from its current pedestal. Economically, it already did. Militarily, much remains to be seen. As already mentioned, China imports raw materials from the Latin America. This activity has increased in view of the country's strained ties with the ASEAN community.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
In the first place, why would China desire to be closer to the US? It had every opportunity to do so in the last few years but no "closer" relationship transpired. China's desire is to oust the US from its current pedestal. Economically, it already did. Militarily, much remains to be seen. As already mentioned, China imports raw materials from the Latin America. This activity has increased in view of the country's strained ties with the ASEAN community.
I think you misinterpreted by statement about China being closer to the US. I don't mean closer in terms of a relationship but to be geographically closer so that they can keep an eye on the US. China is a rising superpower and they are trying to oust the US from the top spot.

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Sound like some Red Dawn paranoia. There plenty of legals restrictions the U.S. have such as limitations preventing a foreign country from having influence on our electrical infrastructure. Globalization mean that just as our companies expand into foreign countries so do there companies expand into our own country. Also a lot of countries already don't like the U.S. even without China.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think that their loyalties will be in any way threatened by the China. Geographically speaking they are still close to America, and in terms of power and strength, America is still second to none. The countries in America have already established a strong ties with the US that has been maintained for years already. I don't think that it could be simply ruined by the interference of China in them.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I think you misinterpreted by statement about China being closer to the US. I don't mean closer in terms of a relationship but to be geographically closer so that they can keep an eye on the US. China is a rising superpower and they are trying to oust the US from the top spot.
Nope. The misunderstanding did not come from me. Geographically closer? Hello? Go to the US census and check their Chinese demographics. There's even a Chinatown there. Aren't you just regurgitating what I said that China already surpassed the US in terms of economy size, but is still lagging when it comes to military strength? Oh, did you know the US owes China a lot of money? Apparently, Obama borrowed money from the Chinese government to bail out the US economy. There's no point in being closer geographically (that doesn't even make a lick of sense). All they have to do is use the debt as an excuse to beat Obama into submission.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Since there is a China Town in the US and the US population has so many Chinese, How much land does the government of China owns in the US? These investments in the Caribbean and Latin America means that the Chinese Government own some land in these territories. And I don't think Obama was the first US president to borrow money from the Chinese.

Kappys

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well i'm going to have to disagree that the us population had many Chinese, because as of 2010, Chinese people only make up literally 1.2% of Americas population, which is an extremely small margin. The united states, as most people know, is in debt to many countries. China being the mos populated country on earth, would be a candidate for funding.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Well since China has survived the previous recession and is doing well in terms of economics and may be keeping an eye on the investments it is making in the USA and that is why they are moving closer. China has some hold on the USA since the USA is in debt to it and China can make choices in the USA which will benefit them mostly and try and make some changes for the economy and get profits as well. They can use control on Obama and say you are in debt, and we are the ones who bailed you out so do as we say or suffer the consequences.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
They are likely trying to establish more or strengthen already existing political ties so that they can maintain resource control.

Eileen100

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
So China has been investing and forming new partnerships in a number of countries in the Americas namely the Caribbean and Latin America. Do you think this is an effort by China to be closer to the US? China has gotten lands in a number of these countries and their investment means that the countries' loyalty to America may be threatened. What do you think?

Eileen100

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think China is worried about the US at all. In terms of trying to get closer to us. They hold most of our (USA) debt, that's why most things we buy are made there. I think China is doing what they do, which is quietly retain power. Buying land might be political since The Obama administration made executive orders extracting citizens of those places...

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
The Chinese are on a mission to colonize the world economically with their investments and control of resources in various nations. They are in Africa, Asia and now they are in the Americas region. China is trying to further increase its economic power throughout the world.

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
They are probably making those connections so that they have more resources for production. I also think that they probably want to use that as a way to import goods. Who knows, maybe they might start getting things made in those other countries and have the US pay more for it.