China's Military Has Declared War On Western Thought | World Defense

China's Military Has Declared War On Western Thought

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
China military has declared war on Western thought on the internet

China’s military says the internet has become its main ideological battlefield and that it should build a “Great Wall” online to protect the country’s citizens from “hostile Western forces.” A strongly worded editorial (link in Chinese) published in the People’s Liberation Army Daily on May said:

“If we don’t occupy the internet, someone else well. If we don’t defend this territory, we will forfeit it, which could even allow hostile forces to use it to attack our bridgehead…Hostile Western forces and a minority of ideological traitors within the country are using the internet to attack our Party, discredit China’s leaders, vilify our heroes… the goal is to use the concept of “universal values” to confuse us, to use “constitutional democracy” to bring us disorder, to use color revolutions to topple us, to use negative public opinion to overturn us.”

The PLA also called for corralling a “massive Red Army” of propaganda teams to defend the online Great Wall. It was unclear whether the military would like corporations and the government to take up that challenge, or Chinese citizens to do it on their own time. China’s internet censorship machine, nicknamed the “Great Firewall,” already has tens of thousands of government employees who scour social media websites and search engines for banned terms and discussions.

The PLA’s editorial is representative of the government’s growing paranoia over the role of the internet in Chinese society, where over 600 million internet users are increasingly finding ways around censors through virtual private networks (VPNs) and other services hosted abroad.

As a result, Chinese authorities are not just cracking down on VPNs and patching holes in the Great Fire Wall, but also sending a message to any potential online activists. On Friday evening, authorities released the indictment of the outspoken human rights lawyer Pu Zhiqiang, known for representing the artist Ai Wei Wei. Pu is being charged with “inciting ethnic hatred” and “creating a disturbance,” allegations based on posts he published on various online blogs. He has been detained for over a year.

More of these cases are likely if the current version of China’s new security law is implemented. The draft law establishes a vague definition of national security and cyber security that would allow authorities more leeway when it comes to prosecuting citizens for what they say online. According to the nonprofit group Chinese Human Rights Defenders, the law “provides a legal means for the government to further criminalize online expression and ratchet up internet censorship.”

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think that, China may be monitoring what the people in China do on the internet and also what sites they visit as well as they believe that the western world will cause problems for the people who see it. I think that, ever since Edward Snowden leaked the documents that China has gotten more suspicious and also not trusting the western world very much. I hope both the countries sort this out and also don't have any more tensions as this can cause problems and will not be a good thing if it is not resolved soon and misunderstandings occur.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon that, it would be interesting to see how this plays out as it could be a power game and also not a thing which is going to show good results and also it would be a bad thing if they think everyone is against them. They are doing the same thing Fiji military does and also, it would do these sort of things and monitor what people say and also do which can be annoying for some people who don't like them doing this. I think China is using it's fists which is the military and also needs to be careful with what it does otherwise it will have civil war going on and the country will be divided from this.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Another crazy idea from the Chinese leaders there then.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that China is soon going to be as crazy as North Korea and the ways that they are thinking? Next thing you know they'll be declaring they've won the world series and they're entering the Eurovision song contest.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
China is just doing the same thing what USA and other western countries have been doing for years. The difference is when China does it, all the western countries hypocritically attack them. If you set up certain types of websites they will be monitored and if there is the possibility they will be taken down. Just the western approach is a little more subtle. They get the domain registrar to sieze your domain or refuse to renew it.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I think that, China may be monitoring what the people in China do on the internet and also what sites they visit as well as they believe that the western world will cause problems for the people who see it. I think that, ever since Edward Snowden leaked the documents that China has gotten more suspicious and also not trusting the western world very much. I hope both the countries sort this out and also don't have any more tensions as this can cause problems and will not be a good thing if it is not resolved soon and misunderstandings occur.
I never made the connection between China and Snowden's info. It makes sense , though.

Another crazy idea from the Chinese leaders there then.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that China is soon going to be as crazy as North Korea and the ways that they are thinking? Next thing you know they'll be declaring they've won the world series and they're entering the Eurovision song contest.

Yes!! Yay, I'm so glad you said that. I took a personality disorder test for China.
Paranoid, schizotypal, and narcissistic. All 3 are very bad traits. Oops, almost forgot the best one, histrionic. I haven't taken one for North Korea yet.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I never made the connection between China and Snowden's info. It makes sense , though.

Yes!! Yay, I'm so glad you said that. I took a personality disorder test for China.
Paranoid, schizotypal, and narcissistic. All 3 are very bad traits. Oops, almost forgot the best one, histrionic. I haven't taken one for North Korea yet.

And modern USA is different ? The only difference is China is out in the open, while modern USA hides it behind politically correct wrappers. The case of the wedding cake shop which would not sell a cake to a homosexual couple is a prime example. First there is a difference between morality and individual rights. Whether or not the cake shop should sell the cake to homosexuals is not the issue. The issue is private property rights versus public property rights.

So if the cake shop owner stopped the homosexual couple from walking down the street, he is violating public property rights. Everyone should be allowed to travel down the street. On the other hand the cake shop is on private property, the cake shop owner built the shop with his own money. Therefore who ever he wants to sell cakes to or allow on his property is his right.

Part of the success of China is they are slowly improving on human rights and property rights. The decline of USA is because they are going away from their principles.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
As someone living in a country awfully maltreated by China and their encroaching citizens, I can only say: I'd love to see them try. Yes, they're obviously trying to mimic North Korea. At the end of the day, they are nothing more but a lump of empty threats. Like they could seriously jeopardize their economic relations with the US? Do they really want those Nike and Apple factories to pull out then and there and leave a great chunk of their 1 billion strong population starving?