Civil War In America | World Defense

Civil War In America

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
With the protest still ongoing against cops, do you think that a civil war is about to take place? Or will the protest and issue will just die down eventually. I remember the whole Occupy protests about 2 years ago. That was intense back then, but then it just went to nothing.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
The Occupy protests were pennies in a cup compared to the violence that is being shown during these protests. As long as we have public figures inciting violence on television, it will continue. Now, as far as a Civil War, it's not even close. Remember, we've had large civil rights marches in many cities and sweeping social changes occur every few decades without it being a civil war. Now, it may become a public safety issue in some cities and the National Guard will be called out. However, that is their job.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
I hope that it doesn't come down to that Peach. Honestly, if the media and public figures would stop harping on it to the degree that they have a peaceful resolution might come about. The fact is that must cops are good cops, and they are all bearing the brunt of the actions of a few and the distortion of their actions by the media.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I see it more as a race issue than a police issue and people that aren't black want to protest on behalf of the black population. The media has focused on this and if these men that had died had been white, it wouldn't have made the news. I'm sure many people do die in these situations, but they don't all make headline news.

What do the protestors want? The only thing is to change attitudes about race and that comes from the people in society and not only the police. Just as the Civil War was back in Lincoln's era, it was about race and equality.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think it's just a race issue though. I see it more as a national crisis. Like this cops are acting like Nazis now. And about this ongoing protest, it sucks because it is not structured and it doesn't seem organized.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Its easy to jump to these conclusions peering through on the outside. However what percentage of those rioting and claiming police brutality are from areas where there are high crime rates and deprivation? I think the police feel their procedures are necessary in the wake of all this, but should they be appealing to other government and support organisations to help get these people off the streets and living a more productive and fulfilling lives? I hope that for this change of approach it doesn't take a mass scale riot of frustrated African Americans vs frustrated police.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Its easy to jump to these conclusions peering through on the outside. However what percentage of those rioting and claiming police brutality are from areas where there are high crime rates and deprivation? I think the police feel their procedures are necessary in the wake of all this, but should they be appealing to other government and support organisations to help get these people off the streets and living a more productive and fulfilling lives? I hope that for this change of approach it doesn't take a mass scale riot of frustrated African Americans vs frustrated police.

Like what Obama said, racism is a rooted problem. It won't take overnight to fix this sadly. But the problem is not just that alone. It's deeper. It's some people think they are above the law. That is more concerning.

The Occupy protests were pennies in a cup compared to the violence that is being shown during these protests. As long as we have public figures inciting violence on television, it will continue. Now, as far as a Civil War, it's not even close. Remember, we've had large civil rights marches in many cities and sweeping social changes occur every few decades without it being a civil war. Now, it may become a public safety issue in some cities and the National Guard will be called out. However, that is their job.

This is true. This is more pressing because innocent lives are now at stake and actually affected. I just hope this ends asap. It's hard to watch the news with the killing of the innocent people.

diprod

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think there will be a civil war because of this. And just like the protest from the Occupy, it will also be forgotten. But it is heartbreaking to see people die when they don't deserve it, especially the minors who are innocent and only because of irresponsible authorities, they had to suffer from such death. The justice will be served for sure one way or the other. If not here, definitely in the after life.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
I don't think there will be a civil war because of this. And just like the protest from the Occupy, it will also be forgotten. But it is heartbreaking to see people die when they don't deserve it, especially the minors who are innocent and only because of irresponsible authorities, they had to suffer from such death. The justice will be served for sure one way or the other. If not here, definitely in the after life.
I don't necessarily think these riots will be forgotten. I also think it depends on what American subculture you are living in. Urban cultures never forgot the Cincinnati riots or the Detroit riots. Whenever a call is made that seems to walk a line of upsetting a delicate balance, we all hold our breathes to see if that is the one decision that will cause the tension to rise just high enough to cause it to overflow. As musicmonster pointed out, racism is a deeply rooted problem in our society. It is backed up by prejudices held by every subculture. It has taken multiple social waves to make this country more equal and it will take many generations of forward thinking individuals to help heal the many scars. However, if we do not choose to work together, that view of America will not happen. As long as we are acting like we can destroy, loot, injure, and burn our communities and call it justice, then we will get no closer to a more equal United States.

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I highly doubt that a civil war is going to take place. Like most protests, this too will die down until another big police brutality incident occurs, and the movement will spark back up again. Since the protests aren't very organized and the protestors don't exactly know what they want, this movement will certainly die down, either until the protestors have an agenda, or until the next big thing to become angry about comes up.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I highly doubt that a civil war is going to take place. Like most protests, this too will die down until another big police brutality incident occurs, and the movement will spark back up again. Since the protests aren't very organized and the protestors don't exactly know what they want, this movement will certainly die down, either until the protestors have an agenda, or until the next big thing to become angry about comes up.

Exactly what do the protestors want? Do they want to reform the whole policing system, the justice system or want more transparency? The point is people protest will no actual aims, they protest because they see things as unfair, but you know life is unfair at times. there are ways to resolve issues, but they need to have a plan of what can work and is reasonable. Besides this, in the US state laws vary so there will always be differences.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
Exactly what do the protestors want? Do they want to reform the whole policing system, the justice system or want more transparency? The point is people protest will no actual aims, they protest because they see things as unfair, but you know life is unfair at times. there are ways to resolve issues, but they need to have a plan of what can work and is reasonable. Besides this, in the US state laws vary so there will always be differences.
They want the police officers who used excessive to stand trial for murder. The grand juries have said they did nothing wrong, but the people don't agree with that decision. They say it's obvious that the use of lethal force was not necessary and that a homicide was committed and that these officers need to be brought to justice.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
They want the police officers who used excessive to stand trial for murder. The grand juries have said they did nothing wrong, but the people don't agree with that decision. They say it's obvious that the use of lethal force was not necessary and that a homicide was committed and that these officers need to be brought to justice.

Yes, I read that in the news, so they want to challenge the legal system and tell it what to do? The justice system had decided and the officers have been cleared. Part of the law in society is to accept the decision or go to appeal. The appeal was denied and a jury which included blacks (Ferguson case) acquitted him.

The problem is this isn't the first time and it won't be the last. Both incidents involved victims that had criminal records and were stopped as suspects. I agree the chokehold was illegal, but they are addressing that, but what is excessive force? Yes it does happen and police officers also get killed in the line of duty. Split second decisions cannot be rationalized by the general public and whatever safeguards there are in place can slip. Ultimately people should not turn to a life of crime and they stand less chance of being stopped.

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
As long as most of America is full and entertained, there won't be a civil war. People care more about Kim Kardashian than the protests.

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
I do not think the citizens against a local or even a federal law enforcement agency would be enough to invoke a full out civil war. But a government who imposes on the constitutional rights our forefathers gave us, now things like that could very well escalate into a civil war. USA was founded on principles our government has forgotten, Principles that stood for the people, and was founded by treasonists and rebels. And slowly our Government is reverting right back to what our forefathers came to America to avoid. A government that was to powerful and did not have the peoples best interests in mind. What the leaders do not understand is our constitution actually protects us and defends us to allow us to take up arms against our government when they overstep their boundaries, and the military is obligated to defend constitution and the people more so than the "Government"