Closest ally of Russia in Europe? | World Defense

Closest ally of Russia in Europe?

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Is Russia really all alone in its home continent? I know that Russia is in really close ties with China and Iran, but those countries aren't the ones with whom it grew. Why did it have to jump to China and other countries and not just join alliance with Europe, or if there is which countries are that? Which country has voluntarily formed an alliance with Russia without being pressed by Russia?

MrDan89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
There is none in Europe. The memories of the Soviet State would be too fresh in the minds of the Eastern Europeans and they would not side with Russia over the Ukraine. I thought Greece might have been potential ally for Russia but there new coalition has got both far left and right elements which will make it unstable and indecisive!

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I would say that China is just because they both share the communist beliefs. I have read how the Chinese are now using the eastern side of Russia as a safety valve.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
I don't think Russia has generally wanted to form allies with Western countries, even if the cold war era has passed, there is still animosity in the air. There are several countries that used to be a part of the Soviet Union, but have now found independence, any usually want to not remind themselves of the brutal things that have happened in the past. However, there still are Russian supporters in such countries, sometime even in higher places in the government. This can often allow them to take advantage of these supporters, and benefit themselves.

As for China, yes I would assume their relationship stemmed from the similar thought of communism and the like.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Russia doesn't have any natural allies in Europe, though neighboring countries like Finland don't really want to annoy them too much. A lot of countries still have economic interests to consider. Even Germany is being less aggressive towards Russia than it perhaps could be, due to natural gas supplies. But as the G20 talks indicated, Russia is pretty much out on its own.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Right now the only nation that I really see supporting Russia would be North Korea. I know that may be surprising to a lot of people. Why Not China? Well theres a couple reasons why I feel that China would remain apart. They are too heavily tied into Western economics. If the western Nations stopped going to China for cheap labor their nation would collapse. Right now they are having trouble feeding themselves. 5 out of the top 6 fastest growing chinese imports are food related.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
As others have said Russia has no allies in Europe. Their only real allies are other despotic countries like China, North Korea, and Iran. No decent leader wants to be associated with Putin. He is a low life.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Russia has no allies in Europe, I think that their strength is coming from China and Asia with who they have economic interests. All the western countries have cold relations with the Russians.