CNN doesn't do research, ends up embarassing themselves. | World Defense

CNN doesn't do research, ends up embarassing themselves.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
The cable news network aired an "exclusive" report after one of its international reporters claimed she saw terrorist propaganda during the London event.
CNN reported Saturday that a man was flying an ISIS flag at London's gay-pride parade, but it turned out to be a banner covered in sex toys.

CNN The Latest Entertainment & Hollywood News - The Hollywood Reporter reporter Lucy Pawle called in to the network after spotting the flag.

CNN Mistakes Sex Toy Flag for ISIS Flag at Gay Pride Parade - Hollywood Reporter - The Hollywood Reporter

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
I can really imagine a gay ISIL flag. Homosexuals are SO welcome by Islamic "fundamentalists." At the chopping block. Fanatics of all types are noted for their command of facts. Got any copies of Obama's Kenyan birth certificate?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Sometimes reporters are over eager to submit scoops on intriguing news items. It also happens here particularly with the entertainment reporters. There was a time that one reporter wrote in her column that she espied 2 actors in a hotel lobby talking very closely as if they are already kissing - a hint that those 2 actors are gay. The writer insisted what she saw amid the planned lawsuit although she later on retracted.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Here in America the news reporters are always jumping the gun. They will tell you one story as soon as they have just a glimpse of what is going on, and then an hour later they are retracting, and then an hour later they are retracting again. This happens almost every time there is something is "live".

Xanthosh

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Australia
That's embarrassing for a news network to make mistakes like that.
What should I say? They should be more prudent.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
That's embarrassing for a news network to make mistakes like that.
What should I say? They should be more prudent.
I think thats one of the best things anyone can say. The media has been cutting their people a lot of slack. Brian Williams and this blunder aren't the only examples

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Social media has made it harder for media houses "to be the first ones with the story." Attempts to keep up with guerrilla journalists is what has forced many media house to be a little lax [with research]. People won't be interested in hearing the same news from a different source if they've heard it elsewhere. So in their rush to be the first ones to give the public a sensational story they end up embarrassing themselves.

Xanthosh

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Australia
I think thats one of the best things anyone can say. The media has been cutting their people a lot of slack. Brian Williams and this blunder aren't the only examples
Thanks for the comment. I think that the best thing we can do is stay positive in the worst of circumstances. And wait for the situation to get better. A positive outlook is always needed.

Venant

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The funniest part of this story is her saying "I seem to be the only one who noticed this"
Hmm... I wonder why...

You see this kind of nonsense anytime the 24-hour news cycle clamors for a new story, its pathetic and really telling of the type of 'news' we're now expected to put up with.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
My word, that flag was funny. Yes, it was distasteful but then again, so are ISIL/Daesh (I am British so not quite sure what to call them after our PM's little speech earlier).

At the end of the day though, this reporter just made a silly mistake. It did look like their flag from a distance, that was the whole point of it. Maybe a little forethought into why such a flag would have been displayed at a gay pride festival wouldn't have gone amiss?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
You know how happy ISIS must have been when they saw a chance to celebrate homosexuality and offer their support by flying their flag at a gay pride parade. lol

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Um, yeah, need to think before you report people. ISIS would not be present at a gay pride event except perhaps to detonate a bomb.

AbeLincoln

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Australia
Nothing has changed with the news media in reporting honest journalism. Because of fear, journalists refuse to report truth answering to their moral conscience. ISIS/ISIL terrorism fill up the news media, and that's what the caliphate want the world to hear to instill fear.

Also, biases rampage in the newsroom, for example, demonization of Israel's case. Honest reporting has long been forgotten and abandoned. If we're not careful and wise, we'd believe everything they say.
HonestReporting's petition to support the media's adoption of the definition of anti-Semitism

The Islamic State: Use of Media | Jewish Virtual Library

Last edited:

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well I don't know who can be surprised by what some of these media houses publish as news. A lot of them is filled with propaganda that is aimed at skewing the thinking of the masses in a particular way so that they can achieve a particular agenda.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Thanks for the comment. I think that the best thing we can do is stay positive in the worst of circumstances. And wait for the situation to get better. A positive outlook is always needed.
you are absolutely correct! It is always the best policy, to remain positive. A lot of people can't do it, though. They let their negative attitudes infect everyone else.