CNN: Russians hacked White House computers

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

635640300397524393-AFP-539497250.1.jpg

Russian hackers penetrated the White House's computer system and gained access to information including private details of President Obama's schedule, according to a report by CNN Tuesday.

Citing investigators not identified by name, the news network reported that unidentified Russia-based hackers first accessed State Department networks and used that to gain access to the White House systems. No classified information was accessed, the White House told CNN.

Mark Stroh, spokesman for the National Security Council, downplayed the impact.

"This report is not referring to a new incident — it is speculating on the attribution of the activity of concern on the unclassified EOP network that the White House disclosed last year,'' he said. "Any such activity is something we take very seriously. In this case, as we made clear at the time, we took immediate measures to evaluate and mitigate the activity. As has been our position, we are not going to comment on the referenced article's attribution to specific actors."

Ben Rhodes, deputy White House national security adviser, said on CNN, "We do not believe that our classified systems were compromised.''

Administration officials confirmed there was a cyberattack last year on unclassified White House computer networks but said no classified files were breached. Officials declined to point the finger at Russia, but said Russian interests are among the suspects.

At the time of the incident, the White House said in a statement that "our computers and systems have not been damaged, though some elements of the unclassified network have been affected. The temporary outages and loss of connectivity for our users is solely the result of measures we have taken to defend our networks."

Rhodes declined to comment on any of the news reports, saying "we don't confirm cyberattacks."

In general, Rhodes said, "we have classified systems that are secure." While there are constant threats, Rhodes said the White House is constantly fortifying its systems.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Would the U.S government admit that hackers accessed classified information even if they did? They'd deny it and hope for the best. It's better IMO to store sensitive information as they did ages ago. File everything they want kept secret and have senior intelligence agents lock it up somewhere.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Im really surprised that was even possible. If there are any files that should be impossible to get to, you would think it would be the White House files. They should have been able to protect them better. I wonder what kind of information Putin got, other than Obama's schedule. There's always something they aren't telling us.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Would the U.S government admit that hackers accessed classified information even if they did? They'd deny it and hope for the best.

Absolutely. There is no way they would admit to something like this and the phrase "we don't confirm cyberattacks" speaks volumes.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The incompetence of the Obama administration . . .

Im really surprised that was even possible. If there are any files that should be impossible to get to, you would think it would be the White House files. They should have been able to protect them better.
This is how the Russian's did it.

How Russians hacked the White House - CNN.com

Russian hackers behind the damaging cyber intrusion of the State Department in recent months used that perch to penetrate sensitive parts of the White House computer system, according to U.S. officials briefed on the investigation.

As in many hacks, investigators believe the White House intrusion began with a phishing email that was launched using a State Department email account that the hackers had taken over, according to the U.S. officials.

"So many times, the Chinese and others get access to our systems just by pretending to be someone else and then asking for access, and someone gives it to them," Clapper said.

Simple and effective.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
The incompetence of the Obama administration . . .

This is how the Russian's did it.

How Russians hacked the White House - CNN.com

Russian hackers behind the damaging cyber intrusion of the State Department in recent months used that perch to penetrate sensitive parts of the White House computer system, according to U.S. officials briefed on the investigation.

As in many hacks, investigators believe the White House intrusion began with a phishing email that was launched using a State Department email account that the hackers had taken over, according to the U.S. officials.

"So many times, the Chinese and others get access to our systems just by pretending to be someone else and then asking for access, and someone gives it to them," Clapper said.

Simple and effective.
I can't think of a better word than ridiculous. It's even worse now that I know how simple it was. Smh...I hope someone got fired for that... Or at least a stern talking to.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Actually it's not that simple as it sounds. They'd first need to hack a State Department email account. What I don't get though is if they know that it's easy to hack the State Department's email accounts why haven't they tried to make it harder for the hackers to get through? Or do they actually want to give them [the hackers] access to misleading data?

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Actually it's not that simple as it sounds. They'd first need to hack a State Department email account. What I don't get though is if they know that it's easy to hack the State Department's email accounts why haven't they tried to make it harder for the hackers to get through? Or do they actually want to give them [the hackers] access to misleading data?
I have my suspicions that there is at least one detail being left out of the story. There always is. It's the only thing you can really count our government to do anymore...secrets, lies, and misleading us

Bluesman

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Poland
Yeah, it definetly isn't that simple as it sounds. Hacker's wars are definetly real but I have some serious doubts about them "just" hacking into White House. I mean... They would have much more benefits hacking into huge companies, DOD or something, but the White House? Yeah, seems like a missinformation or a intelligence skirmish.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think, it is interesting the hackers managed to get in and also this could lead to tension between the two countries and also trust will be hard to regain. The hackers could even be doing it for themselves, and also there could be some more details still unknown to us and may learn later. They, would not of found a lot maybe information and data otherwise nothing which would benefit them longterm.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is embarrassing. It's either the hackers are too good or the White House' security system is just elementary for genius-level code-breakers. Why are the Russian's looking into President Obama's schedule? God forbid, are they going to surprise attack the president and kidnap him? I don't know what they're going to gain by doing this but White House should install a security system that will put all hackers to shame.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
They left their "footprints" so investigators would know who had hacked the White House computers. It's like they are sending Uncle Sam a message - "we are watching you and there's nothing you can do about it" - or something like that. I think the presidents schedule might be changed though just in case . . .

I have my suspicions that there is at least one detail being left out of the story. There always is. It's the only thing you can really count our government to do anymore...secrets, lies, and misleading us
The government and security agents tell lies all the time. Sometimes it's all for the best. Any secret information the Russians obtained must be kept secret unless the Russians decide to publish it but I doubt that they will.