Computers--how much is too much | World Defense

Computers--how much is too much

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
We al know how computers are becoming a bigger and other part of all kinds of equipment. This definitely inclides military equipment and weapons. We also know that computers can malfunction and do not have a sense of judgement like a person has. They can only recognize what they are programmed to recognize.

In your opinion, how much computerization is too much? Have we already crossed the line?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I know exactly what you are getting at @DancingLady. I do some moderation work from time to time which involves me checking website comments which have been "quarantined" by the software for containing explicit language. On closer inspection, these posts contain nothing of the sort, it's just that the software is trained to look out for certain words but cannot determine the context in which they are used.

So I'm often OK'ing perfectly innocuous posts concerning turkey breasts, Dick Tracy and garden hoes.

No matter how technologically advanced we become, there are always going to be certain things that a computer just can't do. We really need to keep sight of this.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's going to be too much for me if computers start governing human emotions, relationships, abilities and all other characteristics, traits and actions that can never be quantified or measured. I saw this animated series whose plot revolved around a society ruled by an aggregate of human brains. In that society, everything was measured and computerized - even people's tendencies to commit crimes. Even if you have not yet committed a crime, you automatically become a latent criminal if the system deems your crime coefficient high (exceeding the normal levels). You will then be incarcerated until your crime coefficient drops, something that rarely happens. Anyhow, this is exactly the kind of computerized reality I don't want to happen.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Technology already plays a massive part when it comes to the military and I can only see it continuing.

While it might not always work as planned, I think it can take away a lot if the risks involved. Instead of sending in troops or manned vehicles, we can now send in drones to do a lot of the work, so in that respect it can only be a good thing.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I think every decesion should be made by a human, either in part or whole. Each and every decision needs to have been made with some degree of human factor. A computer should never have the power to choose life or death.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well to be honest, if programmed correctly then a computer software will always perform the same way and thus is good in cases where human errors can be very costly. I think technology is a great thing and it is just how it is being used that is the issue.

sazzydan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Computers help in today's world and certainly in the military. I cannot see how they would get to be too much, not with the how many measures are taken to protect the information that is on them.

Computers also help fly some aircraft, which essential for intelligence missions and they also help with training in the forces too, so either way I look at it, they are only helping!

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Technology at the end if the day will only be as good as the person who has programmed it or sent it to do a certain job.

Sometimes it can malfunction obviously but I think this is becoming less and less these days.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think that this depends on the point of view. If you are strongly against wars, military and weapons. Everything is too much, not only computers. Personally, i get it, i know people say we have to respond on threats and we all need to be aware of dangers surrounding us. Computers are making everything go smoother and wars and military are not exceptions. As for the fact that they do not make reasonable decisions i think too much will be when that happens if possible. We have seen movies about it but if AI is possible and it happens i think it would be a start of our our end.