Culinary Tourism | World Defense

Culinary Tourism

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It would be wonderful if everyone could get along, and the seemingly endless wars would end. One way to bring people together is through food, and although people have traveled for years to experience new cultures and foods, food or culinary tourism is now considered an industry.

I grew up eating many different types of foods, and always enjoyed attending the local international festivals and trying out the different foods, as well as experiencing the various cultures in different ways, such as through music and dance performances.

Whenever I travel, I want to immerse myself in the local culture through food, shopping and other adventures. When we feel connected to other cultures, we're more likely to seek diplomatic solutions to issues that arise, rather than immediately jumping to more militaristic solutions, so I think culinary tourism is a positive development.

Here's an article with a little information on the subject. It's a growing segment of the economy, and no matter your budget, you can participate. Try out the new microbrewery down the street, the new ethnic restaurant, or the market that specializes in imported or local delights, and that's all it takes to be a food tourist.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
Gordon Ramsay used to have a mini series about going to other countries to try obscure foods, and it was all very interesting to watch the social dynamics of the other countries and how it was practically revolved around food (The rice fields of Vietnam come to mind the most) and how different they are from, say, England. That being said, I'm still a big fan of Ramsay and his recipes.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I am not a culinary enthusiast although sometimes I want to taste the food of the country I visit. Last year (2015) we went to 6 countries - China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hongkong, Macau, Singapore - and I had tasted mostly the Chinese and Vietnamese food which are similar to the dishes in our country. In the later part of this month, we are going to Bangkok, Thailand and at this early the kids are already excited to taste the delicacy there particularly the roasted crickets, scorpions and other insects, yuck!

Maybe the nations can unite with a food festival that would roam around the countries. If only there is an organization to spearhead that activity, it would be a great move for world peace.

darkrebelchild

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Nigeria
I am always particular about what I eat so I may not make a good culinary tourist. I actually have a very sensitive digestive system and I wouldn't want food to ruin my tourism experience. As much as I am so inquisitive to learn how to eat other culture's food, I need to know the ingredients and how it is prepared before diving in.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I don't believe I would be an avid culinary tourist. There are a number of things that people in some locations may find appetizing, which would not go well with me I am a bit squeamish when it comes to food that I know very little about, therefore I would hardly t be trying any food stuff which I am not familiar with.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Culinary tourism is the best kind of tourism there is - how else can you experience a culture than by its food. You may not like wearing a kimono but you definitely can try those dumplings in Kyoto :)

Food brings us closer and I think that you point to something really amazing. Food has no language and you can't experience it by going to your local "genuine" restaurant. The fact is that you can't have the best cheese in the world unless you head off into rural Italy. You just have to be there to enjoy something like this.

But, if you can't travel to these places, you can atleast try the ethnic restaurants in your city.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I'm with you @Corzhens. I want no part of insects, however they're cooked. The most exotic things I've eaten were probably frog legs, baby goat, crawfish, squid, octopus, and alligator. I love food and am happy to try many things, but I definitely draw the line long before some others do.

@ipm_zipedia I've heard of Gordon Ramsay, but have never seen a show he's been on, so I definitely missed that. I like the idea of watching shows where more mainstream foods are cooked and eaten, but not the really out there ones that would turn my stomach.

The Vietnamese restaurants here are very authentic. I used to work with a Vietnamese family that escaped long ago, and they would cook and serve us homemade food on occasion. It was just the same as what I get at the local restaurants, but they (the family) were very stingy with the fish sauce. I love fish sauce, and use a lot of it, which would always raise their eyebrows.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I grew up eating many different types of foods, and always enjoyed attending the local international festivals and trying out the different foods, as well as experiencing the various cultures in different ways, such as through music and dance performances
Ever tried Turkish?

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Ever tried Turkish?

I've tried Turkish - me, me :)

First of all, I never wanted to leave Istanbul. The food and preparation was similar to the kind of food that I eat here. I mean Kofte/Kofta is the same in Turkey and India, except that they have like a vegetarian version of it down south because people there are vegetarians(I don't know why).

But, there was this cuisine whose name I forget, it was like lamb or chicken or something, and it just melted in my mouth. I mean that was the best food I have ever had.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
I've tried Turkish - me, me :)

First of all, I never wanted to leave Istanbul. The food and preparation was similar to the kind of food that I eat here. I mean Kofte/Kofta is the same in Turkey and India, except that they have like a vegetarian version of it down south because people there are vegetarians(I don't know why).

But, there was this cuisine whose name I forget, it was like lamb or chicken or something, and it just melted in my mouth. I mean that was the best food I have ever had.
How did it look, was it cooked,fried,grilled or in an oven?

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
@T-123456 I believe there was some Turkish food in the mix, yes. Mainly it was separated into regions, and from what I see here 27 Delicious Turkish Foods Everyone Must Try there were a few that I've tried. I grew up around and friends with Syrians, Lebanese, Armenians and Greeks, and the foods seem pretty similar. How representative would you say that list is of regular Turkish food?

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
@T-123456 I believe there was some Turkish food in the mix, yes. Mainly it was separated into regions, and from what I see here 27 Delicious Turkish Foods Everyone Must Try there were a few that I've tried. I grew up around and friends with Syrians, Lebanese, Armenians and Greeks, and the foods seem pretty similar. How representative would you say that list is of regular Turkish food?
A tip of the mountain,i would say.
Every region has its own Cuisine.
But yes,we have somewhat the same kitchen as the countries you mentiond.
Lebanese comes closest.