Does Technology do More Good or Harm | World Defense

Does Technology do More Good or Harm

Bread

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
With the recent advancement of technology, we now have a cure for most disease which were previously extremely fatal to the human race, but also thanks to the drop in death rate, countries are starting to overcrowd, especially the Asian countries who are now on hundreds of millions and even billions.

The advancement of technology also opened up a whole new window for biological warfare and of course an increase in military equipment that are extremely fatal and can soon be strong enough to wipe out an entire nation. My question is, do you think technology does more good or bad for mankind?

freeofcharge

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I think this is seriously a discussion of "it depends which issue you're looking at". Obama, when discussing drone strikes and military technology seems to think that our new advancements in technology have allowed War to become more precise and more sterile.Whether or not you find that to be a good thing is entirely up to your discretion but I think there's merit to the idea that technology in the future may likely continue to help us remove humans as casualties of war.

That being said the Manhattan project could technically have been classified as a technological advancement, and look at where that got us as a species (not that I condemn the way the US ended WWII it's just hard to stomach the idea of that many civilian casualties). I think it's really all about whether or not the technology has been placed in responsible hands. Depending on your politics we could talk for days about whether or not you think those technologies are presently or ever will be.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
For every "pro" that technology brings, there is a "con". I would prefer a world with all the advantages that technology brings to a world where we had none of the problems because there wasn't any advancement in the first place.

Everything in life develops and evolves and sadly, this includes war and other atrocities too.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
I think responsibility is higher now than previously. As said the Manhattan Project made a bomb that could possibly have destroyed the world - many of the scientists thought the chain reaction would set fire to the atmosphere - yet they tested it and used it in anger, twice. The Nazis would have too if Heisenberg had been a better tester than he was a theorist.

I think we are on the cusp of the most dangerous period of time for technology - nanotech. This gives us two prongs though, and as British Physicists Freemon Dyson has stated, there should be move from offensive to defensive military technology. We will soon (with nanotech and genome project) have the ability to have true mutually assured destruction of the whole human race - however, we will also have the ability to protect ourselves at a scale half the width of a single strand of DNA - i.e. at the absolute base sub-cellular level - we can engineer liquid Kevlar-like suits that provide full medical monitoring and life saving, and are impervious to NBC attack, with ability to move freely. Advanced defensive barriers can protect cities and aircraft. By making it impossible for attacks to succeed, it renders offensive war obsolete - and would result in a defensive arms race which is much more preferable to the alternative!

One thing is for sure - with 10 bullion people+ on this planet within the next 30 years - there are going to be a lot of envious and desperate nations in this world.

Technology advances most at times of war - this is well known - but technology also is the surest way to allow our species to continue - to provide new resources, new homes, and a better environment in all aspects thereof. Technology is the way forward. Freedoms, like the interne allow for independent thinkers, developers and experimenters - these are the people unpressured by the greedy who want for the status quo at the world's detriment, that innovations will freely come that will give us a bloodless coup over rampant consumerism, greed and corruption. Give it time - it's building up under the pressure of governments and big business doing their damnedest to halt it - starts with Wiki Leaks, Bitcoin and Dark Net - will end up with past structures used to separate us for the good of the pockets of a few obsolescence.

terryse

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Philippines
Technology by itself does more good than harm, and if there is downside harm effects, i guess it is the people who are using the technology that are responsible. Because of technology, there are advances of communication and knowledge , which trickles down tothe improvements of the economy.

Kjordo711

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Technology has dramatically helped our way of life. It is usually, like some other users accurately noted, Technology dramatically advances during times of war. Personally, I think technology helps more than hurts, and soon enough it will help us find a way to in some way reduce the problems relating to overcrowding and over population of the rest of the world. What that could be, I haven't the slightest of ideas, but I think it will be interesting to see what is in store with the technological advances of the next decade.

Jason

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Aruba
Technology has brought about sweeping changes for billions of people. Most of which is good. However it must be noted that in many instances technology has also caused the death of millions. When technology is used as a means of causing death and mayhem one in a sense feels that it is bad. I believe that if those who are technologically superior are evil then technology will end up doing more harm than good.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's not about the technology itself, but about the application of said technology.
YEAH I totally agree with you. TECHNOLOGY itself is good. It is the way humans used technology that makes it bad sometimes. If your intention for using the technology is to hurt others then you make it bad.

isabbbela

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Brazil
I wouldn't say technology does more harm than good! Technology over the last few years has been outstanding in its growth and development, and it has mostly been good. Whenever it is bad, it's because bad people and criminals are using it. And it isn't technology's fault - it's our own fault. A bad person is bad in any circumstance.

The problem with uniting a bad person with technology is that they have a bigger power of harm/destruction.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
YEAH I totally agree with you. TECHNOLOGY itself is good. It is the way humans used technology that makes it bad sometimes. If your intention for using the technology is to hurt others then you make it bad.

Just like these other two, the idea and concept of technology is to expand your horizons. It's not inherently good OR bad. It's the way it's used that denotes whether or not it's bad.

A tracking device is a fantastic idea! But attach it to a heat-seeking-missile, and it becomes a deadly usage of it.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I used to believe in the argument that what mankind needed was new philosophy, as opposed to more technology. The present world is full of examples that support this sentiment. Granaries around the world overflow and there is still widespread malnutrition and starvation. A whole host of other idiosyncrasies with the economic and social systems in place and the general hypocrisy of mankind convinced me this was true. Scientific advancement may have helped us create the atomic bomb, but whether we choose to use it or not is entirely philosophical.

But it isn't true. Scientific advancement, technological progress and economic development are the answers to all of mankind's problems. It is the cure to all the inherent desires that every moral philosophy and religion around the world tried to restrain. Case in point, nuclear weapons have greatly reduced the likelihood of military conflict between any two nuclear powers, due to mutually assured destruction.

Compare the portion of the world population in the 18th century who lived in conditions of extreme poverty, slavery, indebted labor, starvation, illiteracy and lacked medical care to the same statistics for 2015. Now find a projection of the same statistics for 2030. See if you can still believe that more technology isn't good for humanity.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Like any other resource or material, technology on its own don't do anything. It is the way in which it is used that makes an impression. Technology is a wonderful thing because it makes things that seemed impossible decades ago, common place today. Technology, if applied correctly, can be used to make people's lives better.

May102014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
USA
Technology is the result of countless years of experiment. Now the world is torn because the weapons that were formerly built for the good of people have fallen to the wrong hands. These people do anything and will stop at nothing to harm the innocent. Sad as it may seem but in my own point of view, technology has done greater damage than help peoples lives.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
As a new member, this is one of the first topics that caught my eye.
I believe technology, on the whole is a good thing. If you weigh up the pro's and con's, I would say that you would find more benefits from technology than what you would disadvantages.
That said however, when it comes to technology regarding weapons and military posts, I think a lot of it depends on who is using the technology in the first place, and what that person or country intends to use it for.
Either way, technology is here and here to stay. The days of bows and arrows and cannon balls are a distant memory.