Does Vatican City State have army? | World Defense

Does Vatican City State have army?

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Most of my younger years, I used to know that Vatican was part of Italy, well, it really was, but not anymore when I was still believing that it was. Now, Vatican is already a state and has government on its own, and because it is I wonder if it actually has its own military to protect its government and its people.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
You have the Swiss Guard that protects the pope and certain areas of the city. Apart from that, it's the Italian armed forces that are obviously in charge of any larger scale military operations.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Not a set army, but the Swiss Guard is the most prominent military/bodyguard force in the city. They are the ones who protect the Pope.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The Swiss Guard is but a fraction of the Pope's army. Just like any nation has the regular army and reservists, Vatican city also has "reservists' [Jesuits] who actually are more dangerous than the regular, army. Here's a small portion of the Jesuits' oath:

"I will provide myself with arms and ammunition that I may be in readiness when the word is passed, or I am commanded to defend the Church either as an individual or with the militia of the Pope."

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
The Swiss Guard is but a fraction of the Pope's army. Just like any nation has the regular army and reservists, Vatican city also has "reservists' [Jesuits] who actually are more dangerous than the regular, army. Here's a small portion of the Jesuits' oath:

"I will provide myself with arms and ammunition that I may be in readiness when the word is passed, or I am commanded to defend the Church either as an individual or with the militia of the Pope."

I never thought that the Vatican has reservist. I thought that it is the Swiss guard who ensures the security of the pope and the city republic. Thanks for the information.

elmarianexx

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Netherlands Antilles
The responsibility for defending the state from an aggressor lies primarily with Italy's armed forces.
I've heard that they have something called "Corps of the Pontifical Swiss Guard" and it's like an army for them.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's not a responsibility it's an obligation. Since Vatican City is located in the heart of Italy's capital, would they let an enemy to go through them [literally] so they can attack the Pope? It's not likely. So anyone who declares war on Vatican city must also declare war on Italy.

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
So anyone who declares war on Vatican city must also declare war on Italy.

I've wracked my brain but I can't think of a reason why anyone would declare war on the Vatican. They don't meddle in any political affairs and they are very peaceful. Having an 'active' army would make no sense anyway and would just be a waste of money (although they do have plenty of it)

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Maybe the Vatican still remembers the dark days of yore when Napoleon deposed the Pope. If only he [the Pope] had an army back then, they'd have fought the French army . . .

Much as the possibility of something similar occurring are quite remote, it pays to be prepared . . . for the worst.