stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Drone carrying drugs crashes near US-Mexico border

_80445154_80444120.jpg

The six-propeller drone crashed in a car park

A drone carrying more than six pounds (2.7kg) of methamphetamine has crashed near Mexico's border with the US.

Mexican police in Tijuana say they were alerted to an unidentified object in a car park of a shopping centre.

"The drone had packages taped to it and was covered with plastic bags containing the drug known as crystal", the local police chief said.

Authorities are investigating where the flight originated, who controlled it and where it was bound for.

_80440076_80439925.jpg

Authorities are investigating who controlled the drone

Police say it is not the first time a drone has been used for smuggling drugs across the border.

In April, US authorities in South Carolina found a drone outside a prison fence which had been carrying mobile phones, marijuana and tobacco.

Other attempts to smuggle drugs have included catapults and ultralight aircraft.

Source: BBC News - Drone carrying drugs crashes near US-Mexico border

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
HAHAH, a dealer that doesn't know how to fly.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
Criminals get more and more creative. They are able to look for ways to commit more crimes. It would be so good if these criminals are rehabilitated so that they can be productive citizens. The crashing of the drone will just delay them for a while as they figure out a better way of finally bringing in the drugs.

ally79

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 1
Country
USA
So this one crashed and burned and some drugs didn't make it to the streets. How many drones do you think come across the border carrying drugs every single day though that don't get caught? I am going to guess somewhere in the hundreds, right now, and who knows how many more there will be in the future. Just a news story like this will probably give some cartels the brilliant idea to use this tactic.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
I saw this in the news yesterday. So, this one crashed, but I wonder how many have made it to their destination? Or is this something they were trying out? So, drone technology is becoming fairly mainstream if drug cartels are toting drugs with them. It might be time to start inventing bulletproof domes for each person to walk under if these things are going to start crashing out of the sky.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
Well, seems like criminals are trying to step up their game, but fail really bad. I do not think that this should be focused on since this is really rare that dealers are using drones to deliver. What to focus on is the general reduction of drug trafficking.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
When drones first hit the market, that was one of the things I thought it would most likely to be used for. LOL

Drones are wonderful little toys, but as with anything good.... there are those who use it for bad.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
The wrong use of tech .

I agree it's smart idea ,but things doesn't go well every time .

stevesxs9

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
It seems like the criminals are always coming up with innovative methods to break the law and fortunately they keep getting caught.

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The War on Drugs is creating a armed race for criminals. As technology advance then criminals are going to equip themselves with it. The US put a lot of money into building a fence which these drones are flying over.

Kappys

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Its a good idea to smuggle the drugs using the drone because there is absolutely no way to track the user unless they somehow tracked radio waves back to a certain location, and i doubt anyone, especially a local police force could do such a thing.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, things are certainly getting more advanced! It does make you wonder how many drones are successful though! I'm sure effective anti-drone technology will be developed pretty soon.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Catapults? Are you really serious?? LMAO

@Coltodor I agree. I guess we just have to up those fences to include a EMP field all the way around them so that nothing gets over them any more.... hmmmmm.......LIGHT BULB!!!!!!!!

Its a good idea to smuggle the drugs using the drone because there is absolutely no way to track the user unless they somehow tracked radio waves back to a certain location, and i doubt anyone, especially a local police force could do such a thing.

We do have the technology to do that, but the problem is, the person has to be actively using it for it to work. Once they turn it off, the signal is gone. I can't remember much on it, but that is how they tracked a criminal once. They were using a radio of so sort and they traced the signal and found them.... I wish I could remember more. It was in the earlier 90's I think.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
These sort of people don't want to do hard work to make money want to do it the easy way which they think is by doing drug deals which is not a good way as it costs lives and ruins people. Using a drone shows, how criminals are willing to do whatever it takes to distribute drugs around the country and hope they do not get caught. Criminals will try this again and the person will try this out another time maybe from another place and time and hope they don't get caught which will backfire on them if someone they know tells on them.