Earth heading for 'mini ice age' within 15 years | World Defense

Earth heading for 'mini ice age' within 15 years

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
River Thames could freeze over in 2030s when Northern Hemisphere faces bitterly cold winters, scientists say

police-thames-ice-_3372159b.jpg

London policemen on ice skates on the frozen River Thames circa 1900 Photo: Getty Images

The earth is 15 years from a "mini ice-age" that will cause bitterly cold winters during which rivers such as the Thames freeze over, scientists have predicted.

Solar researchers at the University of Northumbria have created a new model of the sun's activity which they claim produces "unprecedentedly accurate predictions".

They said fluid movements within the sun, which are thought to create 11-year cycles in the weather, will converge in such a way that temperatures will fall dramatically in the 2030s.

Solar activity will fall by 60 per cent as two waves of fluid "effectively cancel each other out", according to Prof Valentina Zharkova.

Fiddling with temperature data is biggest science scandal ever (31,000 comments)

In a presentation to the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, she said the result would be similar to freezing conditions of the late 17th century.

“[In the cycle between 2030 and around 2040] the two waves exactly mirror each other – peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the sun," she said.

"Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other.

"We predict that this will lead to the properties of a ‘Maunder minimum'".

Maunder minimum, indicating low sunspot activity, was the name given to the period between 1645 and 1715, when Europe and North America experienced very cold winters.

thames-frost-fair_3372160b.jpg

A frost fair on the Thames (Alamy)

In England during this "Little Ice Age", River Thames frost fairs were held. In the winter of 1683-84 the Thames froze over for seven weeks, during which it was "passable by foot", according to historical records.

Prof Zharkova said scientists had known about one dynamo caused by convecting fluids deep within the sun, but her research appeared to have uncovered another.

"We found magnetic wave components appearing in pairs, originating in two different layers in the sun’s interior," she said.

"They both have a frequency of approximately 11 years, although this frequency is slightly different, and they are offset in time.

"Over the cycle, the waves fluctuate between the northern and southern hemispheres of the Sun. Combining both waves together and comparing to real data for the current solar cycle, we found that our predictions showed an accuracy of 97 per cent."

This had helped create a picture of what would happen in the 2030s.

"Effectively, when the waves are approximately in phase, they can show strong interaction, or resonance, and we have strong solar activity," Prof Zharkova said.

"When they are out of phase, we have solar minimums. When there is full phase separation, we have the conditions last seen during the Maunder minimum, 370 years ago."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11733369/Earth-heading-for-mini-ice-age-within-15-years.html

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think if it occurs we have a disaster which will be hard to survive from and also it is interesting that the scientists have found what could happen from their research and also it will be interesting to see what happens during that time. I think the weather can change when real cold as when it reaches freezing level then can be good to play outside, with warm clothes and also in New Zealand when we have snow, then stores sometimes don't remain open, as people don't go out and stay inside to stay warm with fireplace. I reckon that the predictions may prove to be accurate and will have to wait and see and will be amazing to see what happens in that time, as the magnetic waves can change and scientists can hope it will be good.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That extra warm winter coat I picked up will definitely come in handy then, also looks like I need to make some winter rally style modifications to my car...

It's no doubt that the stuff we're chucking up into the atmosphere isn't helping matters, but isn't this all just a natural cycle the Earth goes through?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If between 2030 the global temperatures will be so low that we'll have a mini-ice age, does it mean that they'll be a gradual drop in temperatures as we get closer to 2030 or will it be something which happens overnight? I suppose that there won't be enough food to feed everyone on the planet. Millions will die.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Well, how do you like that global warming people? I don't think scientists understand what is going on nearly as well as they think they do. What I think is that climates are shifting a bit, weather patterns are moving around, but overall warming? That's pretty questionable especially when you consider that only the cities are getting hotter, the country side is not showing any change. I don't think I would mind a mini ice age, unless it means famine.

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I don't have the capacity to argument against that DancingLady, but it's undeniable that the weather has been changing a lot and there are scientific evidences proving it, so the only ones denying it are those with economic interests involved.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Yeah, better face it like that with humor because the people responsible actually don't do anything to prevent that from happening, they just see money!
The mini-ice age that is coming [if what has been predicted will come true] can't be prevented. We all should be preparing for the worst — buy and store enough food to last [50 years] that's how long the harsh winter will be. But if this has happened before in the 1500s and people still survived, I don't think it's recurrence should worry us that much.

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
It happened before in the 1500? I seem to have missed that part of history... I do hope that people are able to survive and change their ways, because currently we don't have the right priorities.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Not much will change I believe. Since the drop in temperatures will negatively impact food production the poor who can't afford to buy the expensive food that will be available, will starve. Maybe lab-grown food will be the answer to the global food crisis that is coming . . .

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, if such disaster does happen finally GMO foods might do us any good in term of survival. Let's hope for the best, I think we can still turn is around if we act fast.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The drop in temperatures will no doubt affect farming and food stocks but I am sure we will adapt to it in some way. A lot of crops will probably start to be grown in greenhouses and such.

Never underestimate human ingenuity!

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
Good, I enjoy cold weather :@-@:

I have no problem with it. I hope I am alive to see it. I should be! Maybe it will help replace some of the ice lost on the polar ice cap and other glacier areas that have been losing ice for years. The facebook article on this subject that I saw said that it would happen in 2020. Personally, I think the sooner the better.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Well, how do you like that global warming people? I don't think scientists understand what is going on nearly as well as they think they do. What I think is that climates are shifting a bit, weather patterns are moving around, but overall warming? That's pretty questionable especially when you consider that only the cities are getting hotter, the country side is not showing any change. I don't think I would mind a mini ice age, unless it means famine.
I'm not completely sure, but it seems to me that you can't grow very much when the land is frozen. Not to mention the animal population will drop massively as they freeze to death. With no hunting and no gathering

I live in the middle of the country. I'm 30 minutes from the nearest town. Its getting hotter here, too.

Also, (just throwing this out there), but why in hell would you listen to anyone OTHER THAN THE SCIENTIST WHO STUDY IT? Its funny when politicians think they know better than the experts for whatever foolish reason they make up. It isn't nice to try to fool the masses.

Thats kind of like listening to an Amish man discuss power tools.

Denying what the experts have stated doesn't make it any less real.