Egypt’s strange $45 billion plan to abandon Cairo as its capital city | Page 2 | World Defense

Egypt’s strange $45 billion plan to abandon Cairo as its capital city

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
If this comes through edand the Muslim Brotherhood is contained, it could easily pay off for Egypt in the booming tourist industry.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Thank you @Bubblegum Crisis for the informative posts. Keep it up. I hope this project kicks off really soon. It will boost the economy and tourism industry of the country.

Last edited:

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Absolutely stunning pictures. The models at least are very appealing. Deciding to move the capital might be strange, but it's not like it's never been done before. If it's economically feasible, (which I think it is if they act in the near future rather than prolong the process), then more power to Egypt on this massive undertaking.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
If given the task of solving the economic woes of any nation, a new capital city would NEVER occur to me. I really do hope it works out for them. But, seriously, I wonder who came up with that idea.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
There is so much tension what with the brotherhood faction having most of its members recently imprisoned for lengthy prison sentences that i find this project coming at the wrong time. Though the intentions may be noble, it would be wise for the authorities let things cool down before embarking on such a grand project funded by taxpayer's money.

westmixxin

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
amazing how the whole world is moving towards luxury everybody wants to show luxury. What's the best way to show luxury big buildings of course big buildings signify power is signified change in this huge obelisk that they're going to throw into the city is a real sign of change.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Why would Egypt want to abandon Cairo as its capital at this stage? Why not improve on is infrastructure or if they must then I hope they make Cairo a resort destination and a sightseeing destination with its rich history and landmarks.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
From the posts in this thread, that's a mighty plan that I see to upstage Cairo. But come to think of it, are the traditionalists not alarmed by this planned change of the country's capital? They are trying to change history.

There was a time when the Philippines had that plan. After world war II, the big expanse of land near Manila was developed and named Quezon City - first to move there was the University of the Philippines followed by government institutions like the Tuberculosis Hospital which was named Quezon Institute. In fact, Quezon City was capital of the country in the 1960s although in the 1970s, Manila was back to its old glory.

sunflogun

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
It can be an economic uplift indeed. Many times a big investment in one area can totally revitalize it. It's a massive investment though, not every country could do it.

MrHBK

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Egypt
well well well i am glad to see that this topic had an interest from so many people around the world.
being a resident of the capital Cairo i can assure you this project has much more inside of it
first Cairo is an overcrowded capital. old and tired, with millions of people ( Wiki says about 8 million in 2006 ) now it's double or triple that number new capital shall take a little of that load out of it
second Cairo has so many critical areas inside of it and with it being that crowded it makes it a HUGE effort for police and army to fully secure all of them. these critical areas are the first to be moved from old capital to the new one
third new capital basically means like anything new more work more jobs and more money invests and that is exactly what Egypt as a whole needs
fourth the idea itself of breaking the taboo with your most precious city and to set a new concept of moving out of crowded cities into new ones would be a break through for the Egyptian mentality thus we can expect same thing with more and more cities in the future

well the list can go on but that's what i can pull off right out of hand and i don't want to make my first input in here so long :)