Egyptian Mirage V Horus released after stiff opposition from India. | World Defense

Egyptian Mirage V Horus released after stiff opposition from India.

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Apparently French were holding up this deal for long time to please India.

There are a lot of good technology built into these planes . For one RC400 radar is capable of launching MICA missiles . Did Egypt get MICA for these planes ?

TsAr

THINK TANK
Reactions
3,227 74 0
Country
Pakistan
Apparently French were holding up this deal for long time to please India.

There are a lot of good technology built into these planes . For one RC400 radar is capable of launching MICA missiles . Did Egypt get MICA for these planes ?
But I doubt France would provide PAF with MICA missiles.

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I know Egyptians have MICA and why would France hold up this deal unless something sensitive goes with these jets.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

They did.. @Timsah can shed some light on this.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Pakistan to buy 36 Mirage V jets from Egypt
September 5, 2019

ISLAMABAD: The Mirage V in question possesses a helmet-mounted display, mission pods and night strike capability. Sources said Pakistan would upgrade these jets before putting a few of them into operation.

Pakistan's Air Force is expected to seal a contract with Egypt to purchase upgraded Dassault Mirage-V combat aircraft. The two countries have been negotiating the contract for years and now the final contract may see the light of day because the Pakistan Air Force wanted these fighter jets to strengthen its existing squadron of jets.

"Negotiations to purchase 36 such aircrafts almost reached the final stage", one of the person familiar with the negotiations said. These jets were retired from service by the Egyptian Air Force long ago, so Pakistan will have to refurbish them before pressing the aircraft into service. The Mirage V in question possesses a helmet-mounted display, mission pods, and night strike capability. Sources said Pakistan would upgrade these jets before putting a few of them into operation, like in the past when it has upgraded dozens of Mirage-III/Vs with Italian radars and other electronics at the Mirage Rebuild Factory, established by the Pakistan Air Force in 1978.

Pakistan's Air Force has been operating Mirage combat jets for the last five decades and despite the induction of the JF-17, the force planned to put on hold the retirement of the Mirage in the absence of better weaponry. Over the past five decades, Pakistan has purchased nearly 150 Mirage III/V fighters. The force had in the past also bought retired Mirage-III from Australia.

The Mirage V is a dedicated ground-attack variant of the Mirage III, with greater space for fuel, in place of avionics. The Dassault-made Mirage jet received major attention earlier in February when the Indian Air Force carried out an aerial strike using the Mirage 2000 fighter jet to destroy alleged terror infrastructure in Balakot inside Pakistan. Nevertheless, the only common feature of the Mirage V and Indian Air Force's Mirage 2000 is their "delta wing" design.

The relationship between the two nuclear-armed countries once again nosedived in August after India decided to revoke the special status of Held Kashmir. While India called the decision an "internal affair", Pakistan has argued at international fora including at UN that it is a violation of bilateral agreements and the Vienna Convention

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Mr Modi has solved France's problem very easy when he made the announcement of lack of Rafale in combat---.

Now the indians can what they want and France can sell whatever Pakistan wants---. That is what happens---once you procure a major major weapons system from a country---they know that they have you by the ballz and you can now go nowhere---.

Same will be the case with Indian regarding french weapons---. After getting their Rafales---india will have no leverage on France at all---.

Now let us see what is the strike capability of this Horus upgraded Mirages---.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Hi,

Mr Modi has solved France's problem very easy when he made the announcement of lack of Rafale in combat---.

Now the indians can what they want and France can sell whatever Pakistan wants---. That is what happens---once you procure a major major weapons system from a country---they know that they have you by the ballz and you can now go nowhere---.

Same will be the case with Indian regarding french weapons---. After getting their Rafales---india will have no leverage on France at all---.

Now let us see what is the strike capability of this Horus upgraded Mirages---.

The Egyptian Mirages bring new capabilities to PAF. My personal opinion is that they will be inducted as replacements for the existing fleet, and not for spares. On the other hand, the existing fleet might be used as spares for them.

Your opinion?

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
The Egyptian Mirages bring new capabilities to PAF. My personal opinion is that they will be inducted as replacements for the existing fleet, and not for spares. On the other hand, the existing fleet might be used as spares for them.

Your opinion?

Hi,

I think that is the last batch of Mirage 5's floating around anywhere in the world that are able to fly---.

It proves again that if the Paf has the focus and believes about the utility of an equipment then there is nothing stopping them to go for it.

But then if you look at the other side of the picture---the reflection is extremely fearful that the Paf has lost sense of ground realities of positioning itself ahead of the curve---.

Maybe it is a part of their training---or the suicidal nature of their psyche that they are always chasing behind the rainbow.

What is really amazing is the confidence that they have in this equipment---the mirage 3 the mirage 5---that they feel like that they can seriously hurt their enemy with a 30-40 years old machine that has been rebuilt---by lobbing it against a modern enemy machine---.

Maybe the Paf has experienced that the strike weapons and strike aircraft are used in a different dimension than those of the fighter aircraft and age sets no limitations on their use as long as the aircraft gets the proper upgrade and the weapon is based on modern technology---.

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
by lobbing it against a modern enemy machine---.

Pardon my ignorance sir, but won't these mirages be serving more of ground attack role rather than interceptor role? They will be part of a strike package, I will assume, to be operated for deep strikes if the need ever arises?

Mingle

Reactions
1,813 8 0
Country
Pakistan
Pardon my ignorance sir, but won't these mirages be serving more of ground attack role rather than interceptor role? They will be part of a strike package, I will assume, to be operated for deep strikes if the need ever arises?
Yes more likely

I.R.A

Reactions
1,349 73 0
Country
Pakistan
Yes more likely

Then they won't be alone facing the latest modern enemy machine? That modern enemy machine can be engaged by a more appropriate fighter, the tactics I guess should remain to keep that modern machinery save itself from getting downed, like recently when they were busy dodging the missiles and were made useless. Unless the enemy is willing to sacrifice that expensive and prestige machinery and not care for it anymore in a skirmish or aerial battle.

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Then they won't be alone facing the latest modern enemy machine? That modern enemy machine can be engaged by a more appropriate fighter, the tactics I guess should remain to keep that modern machinery save itself from getting downed, like recently when they were busy dodging the missiles and were made useless. Unless the enemy is willing to sacrifice that expensive and prestige machinery and not care for it anymore in a skirmish or aerial battle.

Hi,

Strike aircraft basically operate independent of fighter aircrafts. Air superiority has their own game to play and the strike aircraft have their own work cut short---.

The air superiority will play a different game---.

I believe that I clearly mentioned the mirage 5 role as a strike aircraft---.

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
In the first gulf war, when Iraq had an air force, the US Air Force would send 2 flights of 4 F15s ahead of the strike group with one flight far ahead of the second. The first flight would engage any aircraft in the target area and usually be out of gas and need to head to the tankers which were quite distance away (they would push up to Mach or above before engaging). The second flight would cover any secondary target and the strike group on their way out

CHI RULES

Reactions
281 7 0
Country
Pakistan
When these Mirage Horus shall arrive Pakistan, can any one shed light on this point pls.

AliYusuf

Reactions
1,643 69 0
Country
Pakistan

Your opinion?
That would depend on the condition of each of the aircraft's under question. The Horus Mirages, around 24 in number, are likely to be in good nick and maybe inducted after a simple overhaul ... as they were updated in 2008. The rest will depend on their condition ... whether they will be overhauled and upgraded or just cannibalized for spares.