European migrant crisis | Page 4 | World Defense

European migrant crisis

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I didn't know the numbers. This is a very big problem and in Serbia as well we have it. Immigrants come from FYR Macedonia and try to reach western Europe through my country. Now we made refuges camps but since we are in worse economic state than Greece I know how they feel about everything that is happening right now.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Greece has been in a state of emergency for awhile now. They are basically bankrupt. Now they got immigrants wanting to come into a country that can't support any more people. Sorry guys, time for you to turn around and find a new country to roost.

The UN organizations can help those settle for awhile till things calm down in Syria.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
It is easy to understand the situation. Greece is only following the unwritten script where many countries are creating bottlenecks along the path of the immigrants. I propose that immigrants should be screened for their competencies and posted to various countries. They should be viewed as human resource. A temporary visa should be issued for the time being. When reconstruction in Syria begins after the war, they would be free to return.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I honestly don't know where to put myself as far as this refugee issue is concerned. On one hand, I understand where Greece and other European countries are coming from. It's dangerous to just accommodate these migrants because the nation's reserved resources will suffer as a result and there's always the likelihood that among these refugees are ISIS members. On the other hand, many of these migrants have been tragically displaced from their homes and just need a place where they can be safe for the time being. On either side of the coin, the risks are great.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Dateline Hungary. A draft legislation published Monday said Hungary is planning to cut cash and subsidies for asylum-seekers and scrap measures designed to help them integrate into society. A human rights group said the government's real intention is to discourage asylum grantee to stay in the country for long. The issue of refugees and asylum seekers are getting into the limelight with the current Syrian problem.

For details - Hungary seeks to cut rights of asylum-seekers | World, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

fcuco

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
That's a very interesting headline. Do you have a right to cash handouts and subsides? Nothing against refugees, they have it very bad already but that headline is misleading, it is not like the goverment is suspending Habeas Corpus for this people or something.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Hundreds of thousands of refugees going to Europe are not sealed off in the Balkan route. Slovenia and Croatia have refused the transit of migrants via their territory. Serbia had hinted that it will follow suit while Macedonia had set the same route. EU and Turkey agreed at a proposal to ease the influx of migrants, mostly from Syria, in the hope of economic prospects.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It was only a matter of time before this happened and with tensions rising I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the refugees showing their true colours like they have in previous incidents when they have not been allowed to pass through.

The question is how will all of this stop? I know there are ships out there that are picking up the boats the refugees are on but they are pretty much acting as a ferry service for them.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Why haven't those nations which have caused this fiasco do more to help the refugees? I am speaking about those countries that incited the rebellion in order to rid Syria of the Sadat Regime. This is another case of what transpired in Iraq. These countries contribute to the mayhem and then wash their hands of the situation.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
This refugee situation is becoming a headache for many countries. I can't say I blame them in seeking to limit the amount of refugees that is allowed into their countriesbecause they have to also protect their economies. I note that the United Nations isn't giving this situation the amount of attention which I believe is require to effectively address the problem. They need to step up their intervention because this refugee situation becoming a catastrophe.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It seems many countries are waking up to the massive number of refugees involved, and the implications on their economies and cultures. I don't think anyone begrudges actual refugees in fear of their life or safety a safe haven, but where does one draw the line? What constitutes a refugee? Which conditions qualify one for not only asylum, but costly training on how to fit into the new society? Food, clothing, basic shelter and urgent medical care are of course anticipated expenses, but if these refugees' lifestyles and values are so different that they are unable to be assimilated into the host countries, it's time to re-assess the situation.

SCSullivan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I recently read an article where Hungary were confiscating any and everything valuable from refugees who are given asylum in their country. I can understand why they would want to do this, to recoup some of the expenses involved in providing refuge. However, these are not people who have much of anything. One report stated that jewellery was also being confiscated. This has too many similarities to what the Nazi's were doing to the Jews in the 1930's. There is a big difference between a businessman who has converted considerable assets into gold, and a genuine refugee who is made to give up her wedding ring, or a family heirloom just because it may be worth a few Euros. Whoever came up with this inhumane idea should be ashamed of themselves.

SCSullivan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Like most people, I don't have any answers to this crisis, but it seems to me there must be a better way to handle the situation instead of locking people up in camps to rot for months or years. The vast majority of refugees want to contribute and work, and I don't see why they shouldn't. Greece may not have the most arable land in Europe, but I'm sure there are areas where the refugees could work for local communities in exchange for shelter. Barren land could be converted into plantations, food and trees planted, buildings erected etc that would benefit not only the refugees but the country itself.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
The state that Greece is in at the moment will not allow it to offer any significant amount of relief to the refugees. A number of countries in that region have come under pressure because of this refugee crisis, many of these countries were not involved in the creation of this problem. The countries which contributed to the problem seems mostly not to care, so the innocent countries a mostly left on their own to grapple with the problem.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Dateline Athens. Greek authorities are hoping to empty an overcrowded refugee camp on the border with Macedonia. The migrants are being persuaded to move to the government-built shelters.
Deputy Minister for public order Nikos Toskas ruled out using force to move the 14,000 or so migrants who are camped out at the border near the village of Idomeni.

Read more at Greece hopes to persuade migrants to leave border camp | mb.com.ph | Philippine News