European migrant crisis | Page 5 | World Defense

European migrant crisis

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Dateline Athens. Greek authorities are hoping to empty an overcrowded refugee camp on the border with Macedonia. The migrants are being persuaded to move to the government-built shelters.
Deputy Minister for public order Nikos Toskas ruled out using force to move the 14,000 or so migrants who are camped out at the border near the village of Idomeni.

Read more at Greece hopes to persuade migrants to leave border camp | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

Let's hope they succeed. I don't see any reason why people wouldn't want to move into government built shelters instead of living in tents. But, I have read that even refugee camps have now been divided according to countries and ethnicities, which means some people might not want to leave simply because they think they have a "territory" to defend. The situation grows more complex each day - fights break out all the time between factions and there is little by way or law and order in the camps.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I recently read an article where Hungary were confiscating any and everything valuable from refugees who are given asylum in their country. I can understand why they would want to do this, to recoup some of the expenses involved in providing refuge. However, these are not people who have much of anything. One report stated that jewellery was also being confiscated. This has too many similarities to what the Nazi's were doing to the Jews in the 1930's. There is a big difference between a businessman who has converted considerable assets into gold, and a genuine refugee who is made to give up her wedding ring, or a family heirloom just because it may be worth a few Euros. Whoever came up with this inhumane idea should be ashamed of themselves.

I totally agree. First of all, someone with huge resources, or at least substantial ones, should have been able to pay his/her way out of the situation and go elsewhere, or possibly use some of those resources to actually fight the invading force. I do not at all agree with taking someone's meager belongings such as a wedding ring or other token. These people (the actual refugees) have lost enough, and a few sentimental pieces could be what keeps them together mentally on their journey, and can be passed on later, to future generations.

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
I recently read an article where Hungary were confiscating any and everything valuable from refugees who are given asylum in their country. I can understand why they would want to do this, to recoup some of the expenses involved in providing refuge. However, these are not people who have much of anything. One report stated that jewellery was also being confiscated. This has too many similarities to what the Nazi's were doing to the Jews in the 1930's. There is a big difference between a businessman who has converted considerable assets into gold, and a genuine refugee who is made to give up her wedding ring, or a family heirloom just because it may be worth a few Euros. Whoever came up with this inhumane idea should be ashamed of themselves.
I totally agree. First of all, someone with huge resources, or at least substantial ones, should have been able to pay his/her way out of the situation and go elsewhere, or possibly use some of those resources to actually fight the invading force. I do not at all agree with taking someone's meager belongings such as a wedding ring or other token. These people (the actual refugees) have lost enough, and a few sentimental pieces could be what keeps them together mentally on their journey, and can be passed on later, to future generations.

Denmark,Germany,Switzerland are also doing this,this isn't a shame. The question should be why should the taxpayers pay everything ?

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Denmark,Germany,Switzerland are also doing this,this isn't a shame. The question should be why should the taxpayers pay everything ?

All those countries hosting refugees should get together and coordinate with the regional powers mainly Saudi Arabia and Turkey to get rid of Assad and Hizbollah so that refugees get back to Syria and not be burden on anyone.

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
All those countries hosting refugees should get together and coordinate with the regional powers mainly Saudi Arabia and Turkey to get rid of Assad and Hizbollah so that refugees get back to Syria and not be burden on anyone.

In fact,if Assad leaves,the situation will be even worse.
-
The most logical solution would have been to create a safe buffer zone in Syria to protect and welcome all the refugees. But this solution should have been taken way before the Russians involved themselves in the conflict,and the downing of the SU24 was somewhat a good excuse to take the control of Syria's skies. (Such as deploying modern air defense systems.)

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
In fact,if Assad leaves,the situation will be even worse.
-
The most logical solution would have been to create a safe buffer zone in Syria to protect and welcome all the refugees. But this solution should have been taken way before the Russians involved themselves in the conflict,and the downing of the SU24 was somewhat a good excuse to take the control of Syria's skies. (Such as deploying modern air defense systems.)

Nope, ISIS are not present in Syria as its present in Iraq and all major vital areas are under FSA control. If Assad leaves all FSA are going to form the national Army of Syria and the vacuum will get smaller and the focus will be on ISIS. A buffer Zone is likely to see the light very soon. Saudi Arabia and Turkey are working on that.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I agree that the refugees need to be back in Syria or wherever they derive from, and I'd rather money be spent to rebuild infrastructure that has been damaged or destroyed, to ensure a successful re-emigration to their homelands. It seems natural that they would prefer to be in their homelands. I can't imagine most people would want to be uprooted and lose everything, only to never return.

When a hurricane is coming and I'm unable to avoid it, I evacuate, but I always plan to return and rebuild. I would imagine most of the refugees would feel the same, and would welcome assistance in doing so. I'm sure a few might rather stay in their new surroundings, but I think the refugees need to be vetted, because it's a sure thing that the group has been infiltrated by ISIS, and those terrorists need to be weeded out and taken care of, then the non-radicalized refugees can be resettled.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that the refugees need to be back in Syria or wherever they derive from, and I'd rather money be spent to rebuild infrastructure that has been damaged or destroyed, to ensure a successful re-emigration to their homelands. It seems natural that they would prefer to be in their homelands. I can't imagine most people would want to be uprooted and lose everything, only to never return.

When a hurricane is coming and I'm unable to avoid it, I evacuate, but I always plan to return and rebuild. I would imagine most of the refugees would feel the same, and would welcome assistance in doing so. I'm sure a few might rather stay in their new surroundings, but I think the refugees need to be vetted, because it's a sure thing that the group has been infiltrated by ISIS, and those terrorists need to be weeded out and taken care of, then the non-radicalized refugees can be resettled.

While I think a lot of refugees plan on returning, I also think that there's quite a lot that have taken advantage of this situation to leave Syria planning on never going back, no matter what support the country gets to rebuild.

There are refugees that are coming out publicly saying they have come to another country to start a better life for themselves, but if that IS the case, they're not strictly refugees and a country shouldn't have to treat them as such.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
While I think a lot of refugees plan on returning, I also think that there's quite a lot that have taken advantage of this situation to leave Syria planning on never going back, no matter what support the country gets to rebuild.

There are refugees that are coming out publicly saying they have come to another country to start a better life for themselves, but if that IS the case, they're not strictly refugees and a country shouldn't have to treat them as such.

You bring up a good point, @pwarbi. Refugee status is completely different from that of regular immigrants, most of whom must wait for months and often years to be approved to enter a country.

My grandparents emigrated to the United States, and to do so, the family had to be split up, because my grandmother remained in Canada with several young children, while my grandfather came to the U.S. on his own, and had to get himself established with a permanent job and living situation before the government would approve for my grandmother and aunts and uncles to come.

Seeking asylum is another different status, and is how the Boston Marathon bombers ended up here in the U.S., so obviously that system is also not foolproof.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
That's exactly my point, and a lot of the so called refugees are failed asylum seekers. They've applied to many countries over and over again and been knocked back everytine due to one reason or another.

Now, they have been able to enter into that country, pass through many countries as they're claiming to be refugees when that isn't strictly the case, they've just exploited the laws that some European countries have put in place regarding taking a certain amount of refugees in.

seupaulo

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Slovakia
I'm currently living in Ljubljana, Slovenia capital, and until today the subject of the refugees is in everyday talk in bars and cafes, but I'm still impress that I have not saw any refugees migration or buses trough here. I wonder which route they are going trough Slovenia. Anyway, is still a important subject here.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently living in Ljubljana, Slovenia capital, and until today the subject of the refugees is in everyday talk in bars and cafes, but I'm still impress that I have not saw any refugees migration or buses trough here. I wonder which route they are going trough Slovenia. Anyway, is still a important subject here.

I think the refugee crisis is the main hot topic of most countries in Europe at the moment, and just because you might not have seen any personally doesn't mean they're not arriving in your country.

Here in the UK while people are still discussing the effects it's having on us, there appears to be a media blackout of just how, why and when these refugees are coming into England and the only times it's been mentioned in the press, is when people have gone to them with a story.

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
I hope you guys are safe over there, but yeah, times are hard. Lots of immigrants, terrorists could easily blend in and infiltrate major cities, creating chaos and death along the way. I don't see why you guys are so lenient with immigrants without proper papers. You're just setting yourselves up for disaster.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's the Trojan horse theory, and that's seems to be exactly what's happening. People are coming over, claiming to be refugees, we're taking them in and then they're disappearing and the next time we see or hear from them it's because they're planning an attack of some sort.

And the only reason we're so lenient is because the EU wants every country now to practically have an open border policy, but we've seen already how dangerous that can be.

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
It isn't all of one type of people who cause problems, but when you know a snake eats mice, you don't put mice and snakes together and hope it all works out for the best. Immigration is a suicide pill for Sweden and the UK. If they are to survive, they need to close all of their borders, expel the invaders, and not let any more through. They have the right to exist as a nation that is not a subversion of the horrific places the majority of the invaders come from and turn their new landing places into. If they want an entire world of the nightmare that they came from, then they are off to a good start. If not, close the borders now.