Exo-skeleton used to reduce arm tremor | World Defense

Exo-skeleton used to reduce arm tremor

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
US Army develops arm exoskeleton to make all soldiers sharpshooters | Science! | Geek.com

If you overlook the wildly inaccurate headline (where is the exo-skeleton for journalists, to remove click-baiting?) this is a fairly cool idea.

The idea is that the exoskeleton can remove the role of arm tremor from reducing shooting accuracy. So it is not going to make a bad shot a good shot, but it might reduce the effects that fatigue etc have on degrading the accuracy of an otherwise good shot.

I would however question the utility of this is a real world situation. Generally someone with the time and opportunity to use bulky equipment is going to used a properly mounted long gun instead.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I really like that it started out being designed to help stroke patients. I could use one I didn't have to use in a stiff-armed position, so I don't shake when taking lots of pictures. I know most cameras have anti-shake, but sometimes when I'm out on a fishing pier in a high wind, even propping my elbows on the edge doesn't help, and something like this could provide additional support and strength.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
You are right, this is a cool idea at first, but adding bulk is going to make the individual slower, and therefore at greater risk. If they are safely out of site, they shouldn't need this, they can use a mount much better than this.

Frankwithyou

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
One day we'll see warfare has evolved to such a point where every man is a tank. If they can use exoskeletons to steady your arms they could probably develop exoskeletons to increase one's strength and add layers of armor.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I really like that it started out being designed to help stroke patients. I could use one I didn't have to use in a stiff-armed position, so I don't shake when taking lots of pictures. I know most cameras have anti-shake, but sometimes when I'm out on a fishing pier in a high wind, even propping my elbows on the edge doesn't help, and something like this could provide additional support and strength.

I like your idea. At least it somehow deadens the color of warfare on the issue. I can relate to that because my mother is a stroke victim and she is almost immobile for 5 years now. Aside, there are several stroke victims in our circle that I think can avail of that exoskeleton if that indeed would aid a stroke victim's hand for a firmer grasp. I have seen one woman in a public gathering using a tripod with her small personal camera. Obviously she is not a photographer. But she uses a tripod because her hands are shaking.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I like your idea. At least it somehow deadens the color of warfare on the issue. I can relate to that because my mother is a stroke victim and she is almost immobile for 5 years now. Aside, there are several stroke victims in our circle that I think can avail of that exoskeleton if that indeed would aid a stroke victim's hand for a firmer grasp. I have seen one woman in a public gathering using a tripod with her small personal camera. Obviously she is not a photographer. But she uses a tripod because her hands are shaking.

Yes, and many products are developed initially for medical or military use, and then expand outwards, and benefit those in the general public. If not for that, we probably wouldn't see much development, unless there was some other reason persons or companies with deep pockets would decide to invest in the research and technology. That usually only happens when they, or someone in their family, is affected by a certain condition, and sometimes they will go on to create a foundation that will work to develop a cure or treatment. Eventually others benefit from that, and I think that's great, but it's a shame that it takes major circumstances such as illness, death, or war, for the public to eventually be able to have products, medicines, and treatments, that can improve and/or prolong their lives.

tasha

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
South Africa
Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't need any of this at all but reality is that they do need it and it is a good idea for soldiers to be protected enough to get a few shots in

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
This is an excellent idea. I think it takes more than a steady arm to be a sharp shooter, (like a good eye and feel for it), but everyone's shooting will benefit from it, anyway.