Fighting in the Philippines result in over 30 dead | World Defense

Fighting in the Philippines result in over 30 dead

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Philippine Fighting Kills at Least 30

Fighting between police forces and Muslim rebels in the Southern Philippines have resulted in over 30 deaths. The fight started when police forces met with fighters from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. This conflict comes in spite of a cease-fire agreement negotiated between the Muslim rebels and the government last year.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Abu Sayyaf is till wandering the in the Philippines. We have some Filipino members in here may be they can shed some light on this incident.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Abu Sayyaf is till wandering the in the Philippines. We have some Filipino members in here may be they can shed some light on this incident.
The Abu Sayyaf and the MILF are two different groups and they have no relations whatsoever. Each group has a different set of goals and ideologies (it's questionable whether the former even has an ideology to begin with). Though it's been rumoured that some MNLF and MILF defectors have gone over to the ASG, in reality the three groups compete with each other. Think Game of Thrones. That's how it is in Mindanao. Everyone's vying to rule the island even as they try to drive away the army.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
The Abu Sayyaf and the MILF are two different groups and they have no relations whatsoever. Each group has a different set of goals and ideologies (it's questionable whether the former even has an ideology to begin with). Though it's been rumoured that some MNLF and MILF defectors have gone over to the ASG, in reality the three groups compete with each other. Think Game of Thrones. That's how it is in Mindanao. Everyone's vying to rule the island even as they try to drive away the army.

what do those want to achieve? And why are they at each other throat?

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia

As the poster above explained, these are two militant rebel groups trying to drive out the government's forces from Mindanao. But the conflict was between MILF and the local police(?). Abu Sayaf is another rebel group like MILF, they are also lingering in the same region. So three different armed groups are trying to occupy the same region hence the conflicts. Apparently despite of the cease-fire agreement last year, an encounter still happened and claimed 30 lives.

I see that not much have changed since I last visited the Philippines. I'm a bit worried for my relatives living Palawan. I do hope things settle down over there.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
If the MILF wants their own government, why can't just the Philippines give it to them? I mean, I feel like they kind of want to have their own country anyway. Right?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
They want Mindanao to be an independent state so they could all rule over it. They yap about "suppression of freedom" yadayada when there is no need to take up arms in the first place. Everyone's FREE to put up a legal business wherever in the country, anyway. There are several filthy rich Muslim scholars, entrepreneurs and fashionistas in the Luzon and Visayas areas.

Moving on, MNLF was the original Muslim militant group formed in the 70s at the height of martial law and its ideology was more political and less religious. The group was dissolved when several of its members were trained as part of the military and police through a 1996 treaty between the MNLF and the government. Prior to its dissolution, the MNLF suffered internal dissension. Some members broke away to form the MILF, tagged as a new group of militants whose ideology centered on " "Islamic teachings" (I quoted it because I've always had my doubts about this religious group). The BIFF, or the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, is another breakaway group composed of MILF defectors who are strongly against the peace treaty between the government and the MILF. The ASG, on one hand, is an ordinary run-of-the-mill terrorist group that has close ties with Jemaah Islamiyah, Taliban and al-Qaeda.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Philippines is a dirty country. It becomes not only because of its terrorists, but because of its leaders. And leaders represent the people. If Philippines have corrupt leaders, what can we expect then from its people? Philippines is a beautiful country with talented people. But it looks like the talented ones are leaving the country while those that impede their own country's development are being left, making the Philippines like a garbage bag for people without dreams. I just hope that their talented and hardworking citizens don't leave their country and their fellow, because they are the ones needed to bring progress to the Philippines. Just look at how many Philippine people are working abroad? Who do they serve? People of other countries.

sillylucy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
These rebel groups are just popping up all over the place. What really peaks my interest is instead of just squashing these rebel groups, why not invest in decent living conditions so that these people don't feel like revolting in the first place?

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA

The Abu Sayyaf are connected to Al Qaeda if I'm not mistaken. This is indeed some serious terrorists and I do understand the need for the government to eliminate them. However, I think the whole operation lacked quite tactics and training to the people who were sent.