Fiji Changes Flag to Forget Colonial Days; Shouldn't America Have Done That Long Ago? | World Defense

Fiji Changes Flag to Forget Colonial Days; Shouldn't America Have Done That Long Ago?

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
ABC News reported on Fiji taking the colonialism out of their flag; and I wonder, "Why didn't America do this long ago?"

We DO have 13 stripes on our current flag "for the 13 original colonies," yes? Is that how we want to present ourselves to nations as they see us approaching?

I would rather we replace the red & white stripes with an omni-hued kaleidoscope!

Agree?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I totally disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with the current American flag and I believe it will not be changed. The world has come to know America with the current flag and a change to forget colonial past is just stupid. Why would a nation want to forget it's history whether good or bad?

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
You are confusing two different things, the US flag never had a union jack in it to symbolise it used to be a British Colony. The American flag has gone through slight modifications in its history. Obviously you can not have 50 stripes on the US flags or it would like like a pinstripe suit. So a better solution is to have 50 stars.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
I mean... if you compare the flags of different colonies of the UK, you really can see that the US flag is not really similar to the one of the UK. I mean, sure, colors in common -- but also with France. And yes, stars, but some African countries also have stars. I think that in Fiji's case, the resemblance was more striking, and their previous flag did not have this much of a personality, nor aesthetic pleasantness. If anything, the US flag has its own marked personality. Don't overconcern yourself with such things, really.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I am surprised Fiji has done that, did not know it had occurred as I am from Fiji and it did mean to forget the past where the country had suffered and a new one would change that. I think the current one is good and well known throughout the world and a change would take time to get over and used to. The design looks good, and does not need to be changed and will stay the same for a long time as it is suited for the country.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
ABC News reported on Fiji taking the colonialism out of their flag; and I wonder, "Why didn't America do this long ago?"

We DO have 13 stripes on our current flag "for the 13 original colonies," yes? Is that how we want to present ourselves to nations as they see us approaching?

I would rather we replace the red & white stripes with an omni-hued kaleidoscope!

Agree?
I think the US flag is perhaps the most well known in the world. If the design was changed that would have major financial implications, think of the companies that would have to change designs on packaging. Although creating a new flag would create a lot of jobs for the new one to be put up.

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
A lot of people may not know it, but before 1960 the Canadian flag had a British symbol on it. It was changed to show Canadian independence, and possibly, to appease French Canadians. Anyhow, they chose a very unique and interesting design.

As far as the American flag goes, I see no connection between it's design, and the United Kingdom. In fact, it seemed to represent rebellion against it's empire.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
As far as the American flag goes, I see no connection between it's design, and the United Kingdom. In fact, it seemed to represent rebellion against it's empire.
Actually, you could say it represents America's 'constant disagreement with itself' (featured on COMEDY CENTRAL's SOUTH PARK, when Cartman went back in time to research a report on 'whether America's Founding Fathers would go to the same war we're fighting today.' He found out that about as many people wanted Revolution as wanted to continue living under Britain ... that's why they set up the government the way it is---so that we can argue about what we think the right thing to do is, and go ahead and do what we need to while continuing to disagree about it.)

The connection is simple: the 13 stripes stand for the 13 original colonies.