Firestone Tires & Liberian Rebels | World Defense

Firestone Tires & Liberian Rebels

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
According to PBS's FRONTLINE, tire-maker Firestone cut a deal with Liberian revolutionaries for sole rights to sell 'tires' in exchange for war-equipment (I'm not sure what Firestone sells other than 'tires,' but I imagine the deal included monopolies in THOSE products too).

As I've stated earlier elsewhere (and will again-&-again), I don't much care about world affairs---I figure "If I can't do anything for-or-against them, there's no use in forming an opinion"--but I imagine people think Firestone is 'opportunistic' (whether that's good or bad), and is simply seizing the opportunity as it has power to do so.

Would your opinion help matters?

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
What's frustrating about this story is that this corporation will never be brought to justice. Making profits is more important to them than peace and the lives of Liberians that were lost and continue to be lost as a result of their illegal firearms sale.
I actually can't believe that they had the temerity to say ‘We don’t take sides, we don’t play politics,’”. You know what? Supplying anyone with weapons IS taking sides, the side of the weapon holder. Shame on Firestone!

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Why does USA meddle in the internal affairs of other countries ? Before WW2, USA was like Switzerland, they conducted business with the majority of the world, but they did not meddle in internal affairs. What USA started doing after WW2 is unconstitutional, USA should return to an isolationist policy. The growing anti-Americanism is partially due to the US government meddling.

Swiss do business with the majority of the world including 3rd world countries, and you never hear about people hating Swiss, that is because they are neutral.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
What's frustrating about this story is that this corporation will never be brought to justice. Making profits is more important to them than peace and the lives of Liberians that were lost and continue to be lost as a result of their illegal firearms sale.
I actually can't believe that they had the temerity to say ‘We don’t take sides, we don’t play politics,’”. You know what? Supplying anyone with weapons IS taking sides, the side of the weapon holder. Shame on Firestone!

This is something Jon Stewart brought up the other night on The Daily Show---that corporations 'have rights as American citizens,' but don't bear the responsibilities that would be inflicted upon citizens who did THE SAME THINGS AS CORPORATIONS.

(It's kind of like how YouTube kicked me out---because I set up programs that did the same things that 'people who love me' would do if they knew what "love" meant: 'spread my thinking').

Why does USA meddle in the internal affairs of other countries ? Before WW2, USA was like Switzerland, they conducted business with the majority of the world, but they did not meddle in internal affairs. What USA started doing after WW2 is unconstitutional, USA should return to an isolationist policy. The growing anti-Americanism is partially due to the US government meddling.

Swiss do business with the majority of the world including 3rd world countries, and you never hear about people hating Swiss, that is because they are neutral.

I never really thought of that ... whose side we're on. Whose side are we on? The side that a) deals the resources we want and/or b) threatens us the most if we DON'T side with them.

That's the way money corrupts. We see examples of that in the local treaties known as "marriages." They start out as 'I don't mind spending all my time with you (and your money),' they stick together (under the cover of 'infatuation') because "the economic-theory says 'they profit at-least-double but work the same amount,'" but they soon learn that 'economy' won't justify the unreasonable actions they must needs perpetrate (*_-)