First batch of U.S. F-16 jets delivered to Iraq

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
First batch of U.S. F-16 jets delivered to Iraq
ce2cd484-f156-4049-a004-18d6e7ad3340_16x9_600x338.jpg

A U.S Air Force F16 jet fighter is seen during its exhibition fligh at an air show. (File: AP)

By AFP | Baghdad
Monday, 13 July 2015

Four U.S. F-16 warplanes landed in Iraq on Monday, the first batch of a much-delayed delivery aimed at boosting the ailing Iraqi military’s capacity, the defense ministry said.

“Arrival of four F-16s at Balad air base,” read a flash on the ministry’s website, in an announcement also confirmed to AFP by the prime minister’s office.

Brett McGurk, U.S. President Barack Obama’s deputy envoy for the international coalition against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group, also confirmed the jets had arrived.

“After years of preparation & training in the U.S., Iraqi pilots today landed the 1st squadron of Iraqi F16s in [HASHTAG]#Iraq[/HASHTAG],” he said on social media.

The delivery had most recently been delayed over security concerns at Balad, which lies around 70 kilometers north of Baghdad.

ISIS fighters were still battling government forces not far from Balad earlier this year, which was deemed to make it unsafe for the U.S. contractors hired to maintain the jets.

Last Update: Monday, 13 July 2015 KSA 14:49 - GMT 11:49
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/07/13/First-batch-of-U-S-F-16-jets-delivered-to-Iraq.html

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Yes, probably .. :---~

But that doesn't matter, when you see U.S arming Bader and Hezbollah militias with M1 Abrams MBT ,expect to see the F-16 with Iran.

KH-thumb-560x315-5587.jpg

B7Av7VbIIAEjCJ0.jpg

CH5T4riWoAAmq6h.jpg
Looks like there is alot of work to do.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Are those fighter planes going to be used by the Iraqi government in its campaign against the rebel group ISIS? And does that deal represents something of an accord between the two countries - US and Iraq? Well, I'm just trying to confirm my understanding because that surely leaves Iran by the sidelines. Let's just pray the Iran would not blindly support the ISIS just to spite their enemy.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
What do you suppose I would have to do to be given one of those?

Did you mean the F-16 Aircraft ?

Since you are American, you are between 2 choices :

1- You can work in the Air force as a pilot, then you'll get it for free .(:-)

2- You need be rich and you have a wealth not less than 1 billion , then submit a request to the Congress ,then they'll decide whether to sell you or not. But you've to convince them ( try to use the pretext of fighting terrorism ) (*_-) .

~^~

jilax

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
So,Iran gets F-16s?

This is the most likely scenario. The Iraqi military does not have the capability to use F-16's effectively, even if the pilots are well trained. It takes a great deal of infrastructure to operate fighter squadrons, and to get them where they are needed.

The way things are going though... would anybody be surprised if ISIS got the F-16's while the Iraqis run away? Fortunately, ISIS has no chance of fielding them anytime soon.

What do you suppose I would have to do to be given one of those?

Easy!
1) Join ISIS
2) Sneak to Iraqi base where F-16's are
3) Shoot a few rounds in the air
4) Celebrate being the proud owner of 4 F-16's

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Easy!
1) Join ISIS
2) Sneak to Iraqi base where F-16's are
3) Shoot a few rounds in the air
4) Celebrate being the proud owner of 4 F-16's
Thats so much easier than I as expecting!

Maybe we gave them the planes for the same reason my husband gave my year old an old computer keyboard. He got to sit next to his dad, and think he was playing along.