1. A corps sized formation was involved in this battle. There were 2 regular divisions and one formation was a mixture of regular and paramilitary troops. Support of SF, Gunships, MBT's and Artillery was there.
2. Pakistan Generals led from the front and landed on front lines and behind enemy lines, along with their troops in the first sorties of heli-borne ops. Similar to the landing of CO in movie "We were soldiers" on hot LZ's.
3. In order to surround enemy from all sides, SF was deployed as air assault force through helicopters in cover of darkness on top of peaks. They secured the LZ and then subsequent landings were made as follow up. SF (SSG) in small teams went after TTP descending from the mounatian top and started decimating them.
4. TTP wasnt expecting such landings in inhospitable terrain and considered their base as an unbreachable fortress( a resort/hotel in Malam Jabba). They also thought that PA lacks ability for such an Ops instead wrongly considered the landings as an assault by USA forces. The logistics chain also continued with aviation support for inserted troops.
5. The assaults were majorly done in three forms: attack by paramilitary through forced march of 2 days, air assault landings and use of Al Zarrar MBT's. The thermal images of AZ MBT helped take out targets at night at range of 3000m in mountain terrain.
6. A safe haven of TTP was completely destroyed along with their explosive material making labs, IED factories, strongholds etc and captured/destroyed ammunition included 14.5 mm AA Gun which challenged PA helicopters. Tunnels and caves were located and destroyed.
1. Ambela pass in Buner has not witnessed any successful military campaign and capture, since the time of Moguls many centuries ago. Even the british failed here in 1800's and circumvented around it.
2. Air-assault Landings above 10,000 feet by a Brigade of SF (3 x SSG battalions) in Peochar Ops. The movie "Yalghar" portrays some scenes from this battle.
3. PA officer to soldier casualty rate was 1 : 9 in 2008-2010 which then came to 1 : 12 after that.
1. 19th Infantry division was brought into action as pincer move due to its experience of being deployed near LOC and troops were accustomed to mountain terrain fighting and harsh weather, so localisation was not needed, instead it was easy to throw this formation in battle straightaway. In its absence, the LOC could still be monitored through 23rd Infantry Division.
2. AZ MBT thermal imagers were used instead of AH-1 Cobras because it could stay longer in combat without the need to refuel and re-arm after every few hours of combat and advanced with the ground troops.