France to deploy 10,000 troops after attacks. | World Defense

France to deploy 10,000 troops after attacks.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
France is set to deploy 10,000 troops in volatile areas by tomorrow evening. 5000 of these will be protecting the country's Jewish schools whilst others will guard mosques and synagogues. The French defense minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian believes the country is still under threat. More information below.

BBC News - Paris attacks: France to deploy 10,000 troops

kd3pc

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
that horse has left the barn, and it will be tough for regular troops to do anything, but supply window dressing.

I will agree with M. Le Drian - there is still a threat.

Now, if we can convince him and the other world leaders to DO something, other than PC assurances and politicking....

whitelae

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I also doubt that there will be another attack in the immediate future, so yes, the troops will just be "window dressing". However, I think it will do a lot for the general public, especially the parents sending their kids to those schools. In a way, it's the government supporting its citizens.

As for the world leaders, what do you want them to do? I'm genuinely asking. I have no idea what the solution is, or what will stop the attacks.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
So the government is deploying 10,000 troops just in case certain members of the 10,000 French-Muslim population run amok and start shooting people, including innocent by-standers. I understand the sudden outburst but media's not really helping, disclosing military activities to the public as though warning the terrorists in advance. They shouldn't be surprised if the radicals will be able to counter this move.

hijin

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Philippines
So the government is deploying 10,000 troops just in case certain members of the 10,000 French-Muslim population run amok and start shooting people, including innocent by-standers. I understand the sudden outburst but media's not really helping, disclosing military activities to the public as though warning the terrorists in advance. They shouldn't be surprised if the radicals will be able to counter this move.

Hello, Seatmate :D!

Well, I do agree that the media is dishing out information that might be used by the radicals. I know the media is so fond of media-playing, but have they not realized what you had just realized? They do not understand that, in war, tactics should be kept secret to prevent the other enemy from knowing their plans. They are underestimating the intelligence of the enemies.

I am so ashamed of the media. <)0(>

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
In further news, the magazine who published that cartoon last week have included another one in this week's issue! Obviously, I realise that this is an act of solidarity and defiance but do you think this is just fuelling the fire?

kd3pc

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
missbishi,
while it may be fueling the fires in some ways, it also sent a very strong message that they are still there and printing a magazine.

Freedom of speech, freedom of the press (yes I know these are US values, but have lasted over 200 years, and serve us well, daily) is worth fighting for and dying for, if need be.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I get exactly what you mean kd3pc. Freedom of speech is certainly worth fighting for. I guess I'm wishing that there would be no more danger to lives really. That's not going to happen soon though, is it?

galmal

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
that horse has left the barn, and it will be tough for regular troops to do anything, but supply window dressing.

I will agree with M. Le Drian - there is still a threat.

Now, if we can convince him and the other world leaders to DO something, other than PC assurances and politicking....
Well said. I think we see this in so many countries. Leaders wait until something happens, then run around and use a show of force to reassure the citizens that they are doing something. But terrorism, by it's very nature, is covert. They will always be able to assess our weaknesses and use them against us. I had a friend that said, "You have to think like a crook, to stop a crook." I really think that's the way to be successful, we have to start thinking like terrorists in order to figure out how to stop them.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I appreciate the efforts to counter growing anti-semitism and Islamophobia, especially any that would protect Jewish institutions from further terrorist attacks. However, 10,000 is quite a large number of troops, militarization on such a level will create an atmosphere of fear in what has been a largely peaceful country. If you think about it, this is playing right into the hands of antisocial forces.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think this would be at all futile. Despite the low percentage that an attack would happen again soon, it's better safe than sorry. It's important that we see the government doing something as much as showing to those committed the attack that their crime isn't condonable. Deploying 10,000 troops isn't just a sign of protection, it's also a sign of rage.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Window dressing. A military presence is there to allow people to have some faith in their safety, not to actually create it.

This is an interesting case, in the USA, the magazine would be getting a lot more ire. Everyone loves the idea of free speech, but when children start dying, most parents are not going to be thinking about long term philosphical debates.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
It's the way the world is going to be at the moment. Event happens, government reacts, military comes out. In an ideal world we would be relying on the intelligence services to cut out the threat before it even happens, but that won't always be the case. The shape of things to come....