France to keep 10,000 troops on streets as terror threat remains high | World Defense

France to keep 10,000 troops on streets as terror threat remains high

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
As the threat of attacks by Islamist extremists remains high in France, President Francois Hollande has decided to continue the deployment of 10,000 troops on the streets across the country.

"The threat of terrorist attack against our country remains high. The head of state has decided to maintain the level of the army on the national territory at 10,000 troops in support of security forces from the Interior Ministry," Hollande’s office said in a statement after a meeting of senior ministers, AFP reported.

A total of 7,000 troops will be monitoring and protecting religious buildings that are “particularly threatened,” the statement added.

france0-troops-terrorists.si.jpg

Source: France to keep 10,000 troops on streets as terror threat remains high — RT News

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
This is a travesty! This is the end result of being too liberal in dealing with the world's enemies. When are we going to call these people criminals, and wipe them out?

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Just to add to the subject. These 1o ooo are extra troops on top of the already hundreds (maybe even thousands) that are continuously patrolling tourist attractions and public transportation etc. in many of the bigger cities.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I'm unsure as to how this would protect against domestic terrorism. Considering the terrorists attacked the headquarters of Charlie Hebdo and a kosher shop, if there is a pattern to the places targeted by attacks, it depends on factors other than simply targeting religious buildings.

This is a response designed to promote the idea that the French government is taking serious action, but it may be counterproductive in the atmosphere of fear it generates.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I'm unsure as to how this would protect against domestic terrorism. Considering the terrorists attacked the headquarters of Charlie Hebdo and a kosher shop, if there is a pattern to the places targeted by attacks, it depends on factors other than simply targeting religious buildings.

This is a response designed to promote the idea that the French government is taking serious action, but it may be counterproductive in the atmosphere of fear it generates.

What is there to fear about public military presence?

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I hope they don't go to over the top and get all suspicious about everybody. That would be absolute shame.

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Falcon, you and I are in agreement again. In most countries, the US is a major exception you have a public military presence. I am more curious about what this will do to their tourism.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
What is there to fear about public military presence?

The psychological effect here depends on cultural and political factors. Perhaps in countries where the public mindset is influenced by ongoing war or civil conflict, heavy military presence could be said to produce an extreme reaction of either comfort or hatred.

However, in a relatively peaceful society such as France, flooding armed troops with military equipment into cities will escalate the perception of the threat posed by terrorist attacks and support the feeling of breakdown of civil disorder, without producing tangible results in terms of prevention of further attacks.

Another point that has to be made is that the military receives no training in dealing with civilians, unlike a police force and most importantly, a system of public oversight to check their behavior does not exist. I would not be surprised if cases of brutality, unfair treatment and general profiling of Muslims and foreigners spike in the coming months.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
The psychological effect here depends on cultural and political factors. Perhaps in countries where the public mindset is influenced by ongoing war or civil conflict, heavy military presence could be said to produce an extreme reaction of either comfort or hatred.

However, in a relatively peaceful society such as France, flooding armed troops with military equipment into cities will escalate the perception of the threat posed by terrorist attacks and support the feeling of breakdown of civil disorder, without producing tangible results in terms of prevention of further attacks.

Another point that has to be made is that the military receives no training in dealing with civilians, unlike a police force and most importantly, a system of public oversight to check their behavior does not exist. I would not be surprised if cases of brutality, unfair treatment and general profiling of Muslims and foreigners spike in the coming months.

I was asking because I'm Arab, in some Arab nations military is all over the place. Because they want to create jobs for abundance of manpower they have. And it is normal to see troops along every street and tanks in some cases.

Although I'm Palestinian, that happens in Egypt. Where I'm from our military only comes out late at night.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I was asking because I'm Arab, in some Arab nations military is all over the place. Because they want to create jobs for abundance of manpower they have. And it is normal to see troops along every street and tanks in some cases.

Although I'm Palestinian, that happens in Egypt. Where I'm from our military only comes out late at night.

I imagined that would be the case. People in regions more accustomed to the threat of war could view military presence in a more positive light than in those where military conflict is a distant memory.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
While it is good that they have troops on the ground for security, I don't know how long they plan to keep this up. It is not normal for people to be walking on the roads and see soldiers everywhere. France needs to use a bit more intelligence to find these domestic terrorists and not be threatened to the point where they need to use the army as security guards.