Freedom of Speech in Israel and Double Standard | World Defense

Freedom of Speech in Israel and Double Standard

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
This is hot on the lips of everyone, how freedom of speech should be prioritized and how important it is and how extremist Muslims are out to destroy it for the rest of the world.

I thought I'd bring this up: Jailed by Israel for his cartoons, Mohammad Saba’aneh speaks out | The Electronic Intifada

Maybe you guys know/remember him, but he's the cartoonist who was sent to jail in Israel for his drawings of the Palestinian plight.

Exerpt:

In the end, the focus of the interrogation became a book about Palestinian political prisoners that Saba’aneh’s brother — a member of Hamas — wrote and published. Because several of Saba’aneh’s cartoons were published in his brother’s book, “I was charged with collaboration with Hamas.”
“I told them that the collaboration was with my brother, not with Hamas. Actually Hamas hates me,” Saba’aneh said, explaining that he had angered many Hamas members when he published a cartoon that openly criticized Ismail Haniyeh, a senior member of Hamas who was elected Palestinian Authority prime minister in 2006.

He stressed that the charges against him were baseless because he frequently publishes cartoons critical of all Palestinian political parties — particularly Fatah, Hamas and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

Saba’aneh said he had expected to be arrested for a long time because he had been under attack by pro-Israel media outlets and websites since 2011.

For instance, the rightwing group Palestinian Media Watch accused the cartoonist of calling for “the complete dismantling of Israel and its replacement by a Palestinian state” (“Palestinians will never give up any part of ‘Palestine’,” 25 August 2011).​

--

Still interesting to this day, isn't it?

Clear violation of freedom of speech. But how did the world respond to it? Hint: not by hating on Jewish religion like they hate on Islam; not by making hateful cartoons in retaliation; not by directing their hate on their Jewish neighboors and wishing them out of the country.

Instead, people rose up in solidarity and made cartoons without hate or violence and they allowed the man to make expositions in their country. Of course, this last part might be because he actually has a message and something interesting to say, and not just some hateful provocation.

Just thought we should check our double standards a bit more.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Isreal is caught between a rock and a hard place. Until around the 1970s, USA was actually anti-Israel. The US refused to allow Israel to negotiate with the PLO, and then funded another radical group to undermined the PLO. This radical group turned into ISIS. The Taliban is Afghanistan originated from another radical group which USA initally funded to fight the Soviets.

Stop funding meddling in foreign wars and let Isreal sort out its own problems.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Isreal is caught between a rock and a hard place. Until around the 1970s, USA was actually anti-Israel. The US refused to allow Israel to negotiate with the PLO, and then funded another radical group to undermined the PLO. This radical group turned into ISIS. The Taliban is Afghanistan originated from another radical group which USA initally funded to fight the Soviets.

Stop funding meddling in foreign wars and let Isreal sort out its own problems.

Thanks for this piece of History you just shared i always thought the US and Israel where always allays. Some how i always knew the US had a hand in the Taliban. It is just unfortunate that what they helped create has now come back to hunt them.