Freedom vs security | World Defense

Freedom vs security

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
The more secure our go we meant wants us to feel , the more freedoms and privacy we have to sacrifice. It's gotten to a point that we barely have any privacy left in our own homes. Do you think they have taken more freedoms than they have provided security? Is it worth it? How far is too far?

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
It's certainly a thin line. I personally think some anti terrorism policies are needed, but there's certainly the possibility that they can go too far and intrude on privacy. And it's pretty hard to have both security and total, absolute freedom. We certainly don't have total privacy and freedom, but at the same time our government has done a pretty good job of stopping terrorists attacks over here since 9/11.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Its certainly a fine line. I know a lot of people who are against such strict measures when it comes to their privacy but for me if it helps to stop terror attacks then it has to be done. While it might not be nice knowing your being watched and checked up on, if you have nothing to hide in the first place then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

May102014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
USA
I believe safety/security is needed more than freedom because without security, freedom will not follow. Because freedom comes when you know and feel you are safe. And if you feel unsafe, then you will not feel free also because safety will help us to conquer our fear we have in this so-called world we are living in.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Some might argue that we shouldn't worry about being monitored if we have nothing to hide. Whilst that may be true, the thought of having my basic privacy invaded like this makes me feel quite uneasy. Remember that the infractions we are discussing here are only the ones which we know about. There will be several more things thaty they do which we have no idea of.

If it's all in the name of anti-terrorism then I suppose I'll just have to put up and shut up.

TinVanMan

Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I would agree that the government does want us to sacrifice certain rights and freedoms for feeling safe. However, I don't think that saying we have almost no freedom left in our own homes is anywhere near accurate. We are allowed to do an awful wide variety of activities in our homes and in the streets. I don't think there is a blanket statement that answers the question "is it worth it?" It depends on what we mean in a given case. For example, if we are to give up the right to know what crime we are charged with when being arrested, then I would find such a policy difficult to justify. If I am meant to go through a screening at an airport to feel safe, then possibly I could be persuaded that it is worth it.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Some might argue that we shouldn't worry about being monitored if we have nothing to hide. Whilst that may be true, the thought of having my basic privacy invaded like this makes me feel quite uneasy. Remember that the infractions we are discussing here are only the ones which we know about. There will be several more things thaty they do which we have no idea of.

If it's all in the name of anti-terrorism then I suppose I'll just have to put up and shut up.
I agree with everything in the first paragraph. It's really easy to do things in the name of security. At what point should they stop treating us like we'd the terrorists? It's a lousy excuse to do whatever they want to us... In the name of security.

I would agree that the government does want us to sacrifice certain rights and freedoms for feeling safe. However, I don't think that saying we have almost no freedom left in our own homes is anywhere near accurate. We are allowed to do an awful wide variety of activities in our homes and in the streets. I don't think there is a blanket statement that answers the question "is it worth it?" It depends on what we mean in a given case. For example, if we are to give up the right to know what crime we are charged with when being arrested, then I would find such a policy difficult to justify. If I am meant to go through a screening at an airport to feel safe, then possibly I could be persuaded that it is worth it.
My 15 yr old daughter was put through a scanner so that people who aren't even real cops could look at her naked body. TSA agents have admitted they watch the screens and laugh at people's naked bodies. How much security makes it worth all that?

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I believe safety/security is needed more than freedom because without security, freedom will not follow. Because freedom comes when you know and feel you are safe. And if you feel unsafe, then you will not feel free also because safety will help us to conquer our fear we have in this so-called world we are living in.

I completely disagree. I don't believe security equals freedom at all. The more control they have over your life, the less control you have over it. Freedom is risky. But it's a risk that more people need to be willing to take. We had a lot more freedoms before 9/11. And look at how uncommon terrorists attacks were. We're giving up all these freedoms forever, to prevent one terrorist attack ,what, every 10 or so years. If you want SECURITY that badly you should have the FREEDOM to move to a safer country.

Its certainly a fine line. I know a lot of people who are against such strict measures when it comes to their privacy but for me if it helps to stop terror attacks then it has to be done. While it might not be nice knowing your being watched and checked up on, if you have nothing to hide in the first place then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I have nothing to hide. I am very open about my disgust for what our government has turned into. I want the freedom to have secrets if I want them. I want the freedom to disappear into the woods to just "get away" for a while without being tracked. I want to have the right to decide for myself how healthy I want to be... Eating what I want, smoking cigarettes, even being lazy. I don't want the government knowing my most intimate medical details. I have nothing to hide but i have the right to expect some privacy. Everyone is entitled to some freedom and a lot of privacy. Period.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While I'm not exactly happy about the intrusion on my privacy, I do understand the need for it and under the circumstances we are under today I definitely think there's a need for it so I'm not overly concerned.
I'm slightly more concerned with where they keep the data they find about people and how secure it is, and certainly who has access to it.