Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
@Falcon29 @WebMaster
-
9e2c122dfabcce3f9bf1c9a401d1391bd8a5f8c206299cf5e492d666f7a9d006.jpg

A 40-year-old Jewish man tempted fate by walking into a Paris synagogue dressed as a jihadist, carrying a fake rifle and shouting "Allahu Akbar", police sources have revealed.

For the soldiers guarding the Habad Loubavitch synagogue in Vincennes in southeastern Paris it came as "a surprise", was the deadpan verdict of the police source.

The incident happened on Thursday evening when members of the synagogue were celebrating the festival of Purim, during which followers often dress up in costumes and give each other presents.

The source said the man arrived wearing long North African robes, carrying a fake Kalashnikov and crying "Allahu akbar", Arabic for "God is greatest".

"It created a certain emotion among the soldiers," the source said.

The initial shock passed quickly when members of the synagogue realized they knew the man, and that it was only a joke.

He was nonetheless ordered to present himself at his local police station on Friday.

Soldiers have been posted outside many Jewish buildings and other sensitive locations around France in the wake of deadly jihadist attacks last year.

Purim celebrates a story from Hebrew scripture in which the Jews of the Persian empire were rescued from annihilation. Every year, Jews celebrate by giving each other presents and wearing costumes.

French Jewish man goes to synagogue dressed as jihadist - The Local

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Sad to see such stereotyping is being perpetuated.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think that is a good idea of a joke. What if the guards were trigger happy and had the reflex action of shooting that "jihadist"? It is similar to a joke in the theater by shouting there's a fire or in an airplane hinting there is a hijacker. Maybe that Jewish man ought to learn a lesson.

As @Legend says about stereotyping, I agree that it is a sad thing. Here in the Philippines, the Muslims are getting exasperated with a feeling that ISIS is being stereotyped as a Muslim. I mean the Muslims think that people see them as ISIS because of their attire and appearance. But we cannot help it, that's the impression of the public.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It appears this was the act of a very immature man. I can't imagine thinking this would be well received, let alone humorous. It seems more the act of a teenager, who didn't think it through before going through with it. Stereotyping didn't even enter my mind, all I was thinking was how foolhardy it was to enter the synagogue with a replica gun. He's very fortunate that the soldiers were judicious in their approach to the incident.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
It may look like an imaginative but tasteless prank which apart from having the potential of endangering his life during its execution, it can place that particular synagogue on the radar of jihadists. Nowadays, precaution or keeping a low profile is not a demonstration of cowardice but of frugality of expression and sensitivity to other peoples' space so that all of us can live and let live. Such seemingly insignificant pranks have grievous consequences coming in the wake of attacks on Charlie Hebdo and the Paris disco attack. Every time such provocations happen, the moderates are weakened while the extremists are strengthened and they use such actions for propaganda purposes to swell their ranks and to win the hearts and minds of the mainstream Muslim community.