French President Holds Emergency Meeting About NSA Spying | World Defense

French President Holds Emergency Meeting About NSA Spying

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
This is based on documents released via Wikileaks, apparently showing that the United States National Security Agency (NSA) has been spying on France. The documents show that the NSA has spied on French President Hollande, as well as his two predecessors.

Personally, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised. Isn't this how countries ensure that their allies are in fact their allies? Perhaps he's not actually surprised, but feels the need to make a statement because now the fact that governments spy on other governments has been brought out into the light of day?

French president holds emergency meeting about NSA spying : News : ValleyCentral.com

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
This is based on documents released via Wikileaks, apparently showing that the United States National Security Agency (NSA) has been spying on France. The documents show that the NSA has spied on French President Hollande, as well as his two predecessors.

Personally, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised. Isn't this how countries ensure that their allies are in fact their allies? Perhaps he's not actually surprised, but feels the need to make a statement because now the fact that governments spy on other governments has been brought out into the light of day?

French president holds emergency meeting about NSA spying : News : ValleyCentral.com
I thought the CIA was responsible for spying on other countries.i don't see why France is so upset. the US government is doing the same thing to their own citizens, only worse. Why wouldnt they do it to everyone else, too?

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Nobody likes being spied on, but more importantly they don't like being excluded from the special clubhouse of good friends. I think what really gets up the noses of the French on this one is that the US *told* other countries they were spying on the French and what they had found--and those other countries all agreed that they would not let on to the French that they were being spied on.

Specifically the US put the stuff they snooped from the French into the "Five Eyes" system which shared it with the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Which implies that if countries are like cool kids in high school, the US was acting like New Zealand was a cooler kid and their more bestest friend than France.

I *am* a New Zealander but I still have to admit that is kind of insulting. I mean, yes, you are meant to spy on your allies but you are also meant to keep what you learn to yourself, not spread it around so other countries are gossiping about what you fond, and of course you are suppose to not get caught.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Nobody likes being spied on, but more importantly they don't like being excluded from the special clubhouse of good friends. I think what really gets up the noses of the French on this one is that the US *told* other countries they were spying on the French and what they had found--and those other countries all agreed that they would not let on to the French that they were being spied on.

Specifically the US put the stuff they snooped from the French into the "Five Eyes" system which shared it with the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Which implies that if countries are like cool kids in high school, the US was acting like New Zealand was a cooler kid and their more bestest friend than France.

I *am* a New Zealander but I still have to admit that is kind of insulting. I mean, yes, you are meant to spy on your allies but you are also meant to keep what you learn to yourself, not spread it around so other countries are gossiping about what you fond, and of course you are suppose to not get caught.
Your analogy made me smile! So, would that make the US the head cheerleader? I am over 30 years old and I STILL hate cheerleaders.